What is your opinion of the LDS Church?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    What is your opinion of the LDS Church?

    I'm curious about the CUF opinion demographics here. It appears that we have a mix of mullahs, orthodox, so-so, and not-at-all believers here, and I'm interested to know the breakdown.
    70
    I believe it all, and everything that comes from the prophet's mouth is from God
    1.43%
    1
    I believe it is God's church, and He will not allow the Prophet to teach us incorrect doctrine
    34.29%
    24
    It's God's church, but the Prophet can lead us astray on some points of doctrine
    38.57%
    27
    I don't think it's God's church, but I belong for social or other reasons
    12.86%
    9
    I don't think it's God's church, and I don't belong, but I think it's leadership is sincere
    7.14%
    5
    I think it's a total sham and the leaders know it
    5.71%
    4
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #2
    Perhaps you should include a poll. Also, I might include an option between orthodox and so-so b/c I think that would be my position.

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      It's a flawed, but necessary vehicle for bringing more souls unto Christ, and ultimately exaltation.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #4
        I have a very high opinion of the LDS church and it's leaders. Some leaders I have a higher opinion of than others. I think there are flaws of course because the church is made up of human beings with all there quirks.

        Note: I do not equate BYU with the LDS church. While I am very pro BYU, I think a lot of the flaws get amplified with BYU. I do rate BYU higher than the U though.
        Last edited by byu71; 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM.

        Comment

        • ERCougar
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10978

          #5
          I posted a thread on CG a while back where you rated yourself in terms of orthodoxy by inserting your name into a list of CG'ers from most to least orthodox. I thought it turned out pretty interesting and it ticked off exUte, so that's always a bonus.

          On a scale of 1 (SU) to 10 (exUte), I'd say I'm a 4.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

          Comment

          • cowboy
            Homer Weems
            • Dec 2008
            • 5740

            #6
            Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
            Perhaps you should include a poll. Also, I might include an option between orthodox and so-so b/c I think that would be my position.
            I was typing the poll as this was posted. I didn't know that the threads posts before you can get the poll up.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

            Comment

            • Borg
              Tour de CS 2013?
              • Dec 2008
              • 1501

              #7
              This will be interesting....
              "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

              Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                The poll choices are interesting.

                I believe it is God's church, and He will not allow the Prophet to teach us incorrect doctrine
                I believe this is a reference to ETB's bulleted list, which says that God will not allow the Prophet to lead the Church astray. Has the Church ever said that God will not allow the Prophet "to teach incorrect doctrine?" What I find interesting is that you may equate "leading the Church astray" with teaching an incorrect doctrine. Personally, I do not equate the two, as people teach incorrect doctrine all the time, in seminary, in Sunday School, in the home, and from the pulpit. Yet the Church is not led astray. It continues to thrive and grow. Just an observation.

                I really think many folks believe that God will not allow the Prophet to utter something that is not true...again, the Infallibility doctrine rears its head.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  I voted this:

                  "I believe it is God's church, and He will not allow the Prophet to teach us incorrect doctrine"

                  However, only as the Prophet is speaking with the Spirit. I think far too often, speculation or casual comments and opinions by the brethren are taken literally.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #10
                    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    I posted a thread on CG a while back where you rated yourself in terms of orthodoxy by inserting your name into a list of CG'ers from most to least orthodox. I thought it turned out pretty interesting and it ticked off exUte, so that's always a bonus.

                    On a scale of 1 (SU) to 10 (exUte), I'd say I'm a 4.
                    There is one question of orthodoxy and another question of orthopraxy.

                    I'm amazed by people who claim they believe the Church is everything it says it is but still routinely violate the Church's teachings in major ways (orthodox but heteroprax).

                    These people are completely incomprehensible to me. People like Tex (assuming he is orthoprax) and SU make a lot more sense.

                    Comment

                    • cowboy
                      Homer Weems
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5740

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      The poll choices are interesting.



                      I believe this is a reference to ETB's bulleted list, which says that God will not allow the Prophet to lead the Church astray. Has the Church ever said that God will not allow the Prophet "to teach incorrect doctrine?" What I find interesting is that you may equate "leading the Church astray" with teaching an incorrect doctrine. Personally, I do not equate the two, as people teach incorrect doctrine all the time, in seminary, in Sunday School, in the home, and from the pulpit. Yet the Church is not led astray. It continues to thrive and grow. Just an observation.

                      I really think many folks believe that God will not allow the Prophet to utter something that is not true...again, the Infallibility doctrine rears its head.
                      True, we are taught incorrect doctrine at a lower level, but do you believe that the Prophet teaches us incorrect doctrine from time to time? If so, then you are in the #3 camp, right? If not, then #2 would be applicable, and the church members at a lower level are like unto the Corinthians, Ephesians, etc., who need to be straightened out occasionally in the course of their progression.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        The poll choices are interesting.



                        I believe this is a reference to ETB's bulleted list, which says that God will not allow the Prophet to lead the Church astray. Has the Church ever said that God will not allow the Prophet "to teach incorrect doctrine?" What I find interesting is that you may equate "leading the Church astray" with teaching an incorrect doctrine. Personally, I do not equate the two, as people teach incorrect doctrine all the time, in seminary, in Sunday School, in the home, and from the pulpit. Yet the Church is not led astray. It continues to thrive and grow. Just an observation.

                        I really think many folks believe that God will not allow the Prophet to utter something that is not true...again, the Infallibility doctrine rears its head.
                        There is another way out of this one. As an example strict birth control was taught earlier. One Prophet even equated birth control as evil and those who practice it basically were doing the devil's bidding.

                        At the time that seemed like doctrine of the church. However, should I choose I could look back and say, that wasn't doctrine it was council. I could answer the question of leading us astray on doctrine as no or yes depending on how I define what "doctrine" is. For those who say what the Prophet or Apostles say in conference is doctrine, I think they have to answer they can be lead astray on doctrine.

                        Comment

                        • cowboy
                          Homer Weems
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5740

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I voted this:

                          "I believe it is God's church, and He will not allow the Prophet to teach us incorrect doctrine"

                          However, only as the Prophet is speaking with the Spirit. I think far too often, speculation or casual comments and opinions by the brethren are taken literally.
                          That is what I meant with that option, but didn't know how to say it better, thus, the "doctrine" qualifier. I don't think that opining on nuclear physics qualifies as doctrine.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

                          Comment

                          • CardiacCoug
                            вот так штука
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 11013

                            #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Personally, I do not equate the two, as people teach incorrect doctrine all the time, in seminary, in Sunday School, in the home, and from the pulpit. Yet the Church is not led astray. It continues to thrive and grow. Just an observation.
                            Just to state the obvious -- the fact that the Church "continues to thrive and grow" does not mean that the Church isn't being led astray. There may be no correlation between those two facts.

                            Comment

                            • I.J. Reilly
                              Nobody's Fool
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 2949

                              #15
                              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              There is one question of orthodoxy and another question of orthopraxy.

                              I'm amazed by people who claim they believe the Church is everything it says it is but still routinely violate the Church's teachings in major ways (orthodox but heteroprax).

                              These people are completely incomprehensible to me. People like Tex (assuming he is orthoprax) and SU make a lot more sense.
                              I think that orthodoxy v. orthopraxy is not very well understood at all in the general membership of the church. I would say that most clump the two together and a variation in one gives the assumption of a variation in the other.

                              Comment

                              Working...