I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Cut the topic up into 4 sections (make sure you do this at haphazard points in the talk) and divide the audience into 4 groups and have them each read their section and report back what they learned. Maybe bring some treats for them all to eat while they are discussing. I'd recommend those little tootsie rolls or maybe some laughy taffy.
    haha...pass!
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• I taught in the Priest Quorum yesterday and it was a fun lesson.

One of the topics for Marcy is "What is the Resurrection?"

So we used Mosiah, Alma and 1st Corinthians 15 to cover various aspects of the Res.

I then handed out hymnals to the Priests, and we looked at all of the hymns that talked/were centered around the Resurrection. We talked about the authors, the times that they lived, and the fact that we sing their hymns some 2-400 years later. We also read through those hymns and talked about the words that we miss when we sing the songs.

I really enjoyed it. May use this when we get to some other topics later in the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Cut the topic up into 4 sections (make sure you do this at haphazard points in the talk) and divide the audience into 4 groups and have them each read their section and report back what they learned. Maybe bring some treats for them all to eat while they are discussing. I'd recommend those little tootsie rolls or maybe some laughy taffy.
        Keep everyone in a single group and shake things up by telling the audience that today you are looking for "real answers," not "typical sunday school answers." To add emphasis to this unorthodox approach, sit on the table and dangle your legs as you lead the discussion.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I'm finding it very difficult to teach Old Testament to 11 yo's this year. When kids hear the creation and Noah's flood, etc, they want to receive it the same way they would a lecture on plate tectonics at school. These are science stories to them first and religious second. They ask great questions which are difficult to answer. I want to answer them all with "well we just don't know...Old Testament may be more symbolic then literal...it's the moral lessons that are important not the science...." My team teacher is very literal and wants to answer them all with the nice, neat answers we learned as kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I'm finding it very difficult to teach Old Testament to 11 yo's this year. When kids hear the creation and Noah's flood, etc, they want to receive it the same way they would a lecture on plate tectonics at school. These are science stories to them first and religious second. They ask great questions which are difficult to answer. I want to answer them all with "well we just don't know...Old Testament may be more symbolic then literal...it's the moral lessons that are important not the science...." My team teacher is very literal and wants to answer them all with the nice, neat answers we learned as kids.
            I recommend you share this with your 11 year olds:

In answering this question, perhaps the first thing to note is that the story of Noah appears in a section of the Bible that many scholars refer to as the book’s “prehistory,” meaning the time before the historical era as recognized by its original authors. The opening chapters of Genesis (the Bible’s first book) present grand mythic accounts of cosmic creation, talking snakes, impossibly long human lifespans, an originally unified single human language, and yes, a catastrophic flood. These stories prepare readers for the Bible’s central focus on the family of Israel, a people God chose to maintain a special relationship with. The “historical” age (not in the sense of accuracy, but from the perspective of a world that actually operates according to the rules we know) begins with the biblical story of Abraham in Genesis 12.
            http://www.patheos.com/blogs/davidbo...ally-accurate/

You should discuss the documentary hypothesis with them also. Return and report.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Keep everyone in a single group and shake things up by telling the audience that today you are looking for "real answers," not "typical sunday school answers." To add emphasis to this unorthodox approach, sit on the table and dangle your legs as you lead the discussion.
              "Don't call me Brother So and So....just call me Steve"

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I recommend you share this with your 11 year olds:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/davidbo...ally-accurate/

You should discuss the documentary hypothesis with them also. Return and report.
                Thanks, preshiate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  I'm finding it very difficult to teach Old Testament to 11 yo's this year. When kids hear the creation and Noah's flood, etc, they want to receive it the same way they would a lecture on plate tectonics at school. These are science stories to them first and religious second. They ask great questions which are difficult to answer. I want to answer them all with "well we just don't know...Old Testament may be more symbolic then literal...it's the moral lessons that are important not the science...." My team teacher is very literal and wants to answer them all with the nice, neat answers we learned as kids.
                  I answer the way you want. My kids are 10.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    You mentioned once that you don't go to Phood all that often, this is somewhat common.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      You mentioned once that you don't go to Phood all that often, this is somewhat common.
                      I wouldn't want Sunday School answers during Priesthood, either!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I brought my bracket in as an example of making poor choices for my EQ lesson this week.

Comment

• In two weeks I'll be teaching my monthly EQ lesson and the talk that is up is President Eyring's talk: To My Grandchildren. All things considered, I'm pretty excited about getting to teach on this talk because it is about Happiness...and that is exactly what I'm going to focus on...what is it that makes people happy (or unhappy).

I feel like it's a lesson that could really go in a hundred different directions, but I think it'll be a good topic to focus on.

Comment

• I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
                            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                              In two weeks I'll be teaching my monthly EQ lesson and the talk that is up is President Eyring's talk: To My Grandchildren. All things considered, I'm pretty excited about getting to teach on this talk because it is about Happiness...and that is exactly what I'm going to focus on...what is it that makes people happy (or unhappy).

I feel like it's a lesson that could really go in a hundred different directions, but I think it'll be a good topic to focus on.
                              You should probably start with Parrell's "Happy". Have it queued up and go out into the hall. Have the EQP press play and make your entrance. That would really set the tone for a great lesson, IMO.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                You should probably start with Parrell's "Happy". Have it queued up and go out into the hall. Have the EQP press play and make your entrance. That would really set the tone for a great lesson, IMO.
                                I'm actually going to burn it on a CD and hand it out to everyone...that was already in the works. In fact, I'm going to make extra for an easy home teaching drop off.

Comment

Working...
                                X