I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    WTF is it to you? I wanted to see what the numbers were because I'd like to see them and get a better feel for what they really are rather than simply hearing vague rhetoric.
    No need to drop F bombs.
    You accused Lebowski of hyperbolizing. He gives you a link where a GA says the same thing. You know very well that data like you're requesting isn't available, but it's irrelevant. Either you support your leaders or you criticize them for hyperbolizing.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      Look no further than the hallowed halls of CS.
      CS is full of windbags just trying to fit in. The majority are looking for acceptance by showing how rebellious they are yet don't have the balls to actually verbalize it to their wives or church leaders. It is comical to see the lengths they go to fit in with each other (Nikuman boasting of his glorious lessons that ruffle the old guard's feathers). I say comical but I really should replace that with sad. For all the ass slapping that goes on around here about how smart they are, faith is a concept they just cant figure out.

Comment

Since when has this or any other board required the discussion to be solely focused on the main point? You probably think I was trying to negate your entire statement by asking a simple followup to part of your post, don't you?
        Hmm...

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Otherwise, I have to conclude you're engaging in rhetoric and/or regurgitating vague nth hand comments.
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        You got a little carried away with hyperbole to buttress your "main point". It happens.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Indeed. Excellent post, Dwight.
          With Dwight's permission, I think I will steal part of this.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

WTF is it to you? I wanted to see what the numbers were because I'd like to see them and get a better feel for what they really are rather than simply hearing vague rhetoric.
            I'm very curious to see actual data also. When you're on the internet it seems everyone is apostatizing. Then you go to church and it doesn't seem any different as it ever was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tone Loc View Post
              For all the ass slapping that goes on around here about how smart they are, faith is a concept they just cant figure out.
              How does one go about "figuring out" faith?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                With Dwight's permission, I think I will steal part of this.
                This windbag would be flattered. Feel free to take your hand off my ass now.

One thought that I had that I forgot to include was concerning Waup's recent experience in the Temple Recommend thread. An hour and 45 minutes of unbelief. But apparently enough belief there for the requisite signatures.
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                  How does one go about "figuring out" faith?
                  Empirical data. Apparently.
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                    Empirical data. Apparently.
                    Ass-slapping empirical data.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Ass-slapping empirical data.
                      Isn't that what put Sandusky behind bars?

Comment

Isn't that what put Sandusky behind bars?
                        Just exactly how edgy do you want the humorous reply to be?

Comment

Just exactly how edgy do you want the humorous reply to be?
                          Your call. I thought I was pushing the bounds of good taste with my reply.

Comment

Your call. I thought I was pushing the bounds of good taste with my reply.
                            Then we'll just quietly drop this and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              For reference, here is the lesson in question:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...003a94610aRCRD

Yowza. I might skip SS this week.
                              Holy crap that is a lame lesson and I agree with Dwight's post.

Faith has it's own merits that don't necessitate stepping on former-believers. Castigating those that leave looks and feels kind of petty to me. We should be better than this.

Comment

• I was about to play devil's advocate, because I have a different opinion on what a SS class should be than many of you, but I read that lesson and it is a crock of shit.

Now as for my contrarian opinion on SS lessons...

I go to church to be inspired, to worship, to seek a connection with God, etc. I don't go seeking an intellectual discussion of the origins of whatever historical event or even scripture. I'm fine with watered down lessons. I'm pretty OK with correlation. Most of the time when I hear a teacher bragging about their non-correlated lesson, I think, "meh not that compelling". I'd rather leave church feeling like I connected with God or inspired to provide service to a loved one or to repent of a misdeed than leave feeling like the lesson broke new ground in historical analysis of church teachings and really put the mullahs in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X