Mothers Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #1

    Mothers Day

    So, we get to church today, and the power is out in the whole building. It's kind of dark and cloudy outside, so the chapel was gloomy and the kiddies couldn't see well enough to color.

    They went ahead and did Sacrament meeting in the dark, with no mikes, gave the ladies some flowers and had cookies in the Relief Society Room, and sent us home after an hour.

    During the entire service, a Utility truck was in the back working on the power lines. The bishop's counselor, who knew what was going on, comes back and is explaining to his 4-year-old that the power is out because of something called a bad transformer.

    The kid looks up at his dad and says, "Megatron did it?"

    -true story. happened today. I was there.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    That's great.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15664

      #3
      Awesome. I'm telling it.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #4
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Awesome. I'm telling it.
        Better yet, make it your own!

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #5
          That's almost Reader's Digest worthy if old people knew who Megatron was.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15664

            #6
            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            Better yet, make it your own!
            Good call. Anybody want to hear what I heard in church this Sunday?
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • OrangeUte
              Max Hall hates me.
              • Nov 2008
              • 2294

              #7
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Good call. Anybody want to hear what I heard in church this Sunday?
              absolutely. shoot!

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #8
                Our Young Men president spoke today about his mother, who died of breast cancer when she was 29 and he was 6. He barely remembers her. It could have been just a sad story, but he also spoke of:

                *Her journal and the letters she wrote to him when she knew she was going to die, which he now treasures.

                *His aunt's labor of love: A typewritten history of his mother's life, complete with photos, her love letters to his dad, and the like. The aunt gave the volume to him as he left on his mission and he spent the entire 15 hours on his flight to England from California reading and re-reading it.

                *His step-mother's love as she stepped in and loved him as if he were her own, and gave him a life with a mother in it.

                What I loved about the talk was that instead if simply being a tear-jerker, it was about how real people stepped up and responded to a very tough situation with hard work and love, and turned the tragedy into something wonderful for him. It was inspiring and made me very grateful for my own tragedy-free life (so far) and the strength I could draw from the way he and his family dealt with their own terrible setback. I hope I could handle a simliar situation nearly as well.

                All in all one of the best Mother's Day talks I've ever heard.
                Last edited by LA Ute; 05-10-2009, 09:40 PM.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                Working...