Need ideas for a speaking assignment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1

    Need ideas for a speaking assignment

    I am speaking tomorrow and thought I'd try to gather some ideas or experiences from you all. One idea I want to develop is this one: In a Conference talk in 2000, then-Elder Eyring said "The Savior will let you feel the love He feels for those you serve."

    That rang true to me when I heard it. When I became an EQP a few years back, I was amazed that suddenly my feelings toward certain members of the quorum -- guys I really had a hard time liking -- seemed quite different. I now wanted to help and serve them, get to know them, etc. There are, of course, non-spiritual reasons for such a change, but it was so extreme, and so sustained, that I interpreted it as a gift of the Spirit and a blessing from having been set apart. I have had the same experience when assigned home teaching families who had been strangers to me before. (If only my new feelings toward them had helped me get to see them more dilygently. I guess there's no magic bullet to home teaching faithfulness.)

    So -- anyone have similar experiences or thoughts about this?

    The Eyring talk is a great one, by the way.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #2
    That sounds like it has great potential for a talk.

    My only thought is that the idea applies not only to people in the ward, but even to your kids and your spouse. You grow to love your kids by serving them -- changing their diapers when they are little, reading to them, making them food, etc. Same goes for the spouse -- you strengthen your bond and your love for her/him when you do nice things.

    Comment

    Working...