Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfa...owles.html.csp

The problem, though, is how to keep these zealous young Mormons busy.

"We have too many missionaries to do anything constructive with them under the standard program. It is a crisis and church leaders know it," Jonathan Stapley, a Mormon in Seattle, wrote in October 2013. "It has sucked up the budget and everyone is trying to figure out what to do. It is the biggest logistical, budgetary and perhaps spiritual problem we have right now, and all the general leaders are talking about it because they want to find a solution."
    Yikes. Not too surprising, though.
    It blows me away that it appears from reports like this that the church is absolutely wasting this surge in missionaries. If these missionaries have nothing to do, then slap a "mormon helping hands" shirt on them and have them do service. Just think of what an army of 80,000 volunteers could do for a city or community. What a shame.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
      I don't know if it is verboten, but missionaries these days seem to be loath to do it.
      I think it is highly discouraged, if not prohibited, from SLC. However, in many missions, including the local mission, it is expressly forbidden. Missionaries here are instructed to find investigators through the member referral system exclusively.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Seems like a no brainer to up the service hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          After reading the article about missionaries, i saw this Op Ed link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...tices.html.csp

Thought it was pretty good.
          Wow. Is that the same Don Gale who used to do editorials on KSL TV? He was a VP at Bonneville Int. Pretty sure that is the same guy.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Wow. Is that the same Don Gale who used to do editorials on KSL TV? He was a VP at Bonneville Int. Pretty sure that is the same guy.
            Same guy.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              I think it is highly discouraged, if not prohibited, from SLC. However, in many missions, including the local mission, it is expressly forbidden. Missionaries here are instructed to find investigators through the member referral system exclusively.
              Not in my corner of the local vineyard.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Can someone please forward a copy of this article to Eric Mika? TIA.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Can someone please forward a copy of this article to Eric Mika? TIA.
                  His filler should be re-activating Kiki Vandeweigh and Tom Chambers as well as ensuring repentence is preached to those scantily clad Jezebel vixens at Golds Gym. In fact lets just agree that Elder Mika sends his blue planner to us and we will take care of the rest.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• If tracting is forbidden what about soap-box preaching in the public square/park? I always enjoyed that because you never knew what you were going to hear, or who was going to argue with you.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                      In July, our ward went from having 2 missionaries who weren't able to adequately fill their schedules to now having 6 who have absolutely nothing to do. It is sad to watch.
                      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      same thing here and they are driving me nuts!
                      Same here.

Our missionaries in my ward really don't tract anymore. They still spend an hour or two everyday in the family history center doing "internet missionary work". All they can really do is message people on facebook that are investigators or in the ward. Apparently our ward internet usage on facebook is pretty low, as they said only about 1 or 2 people will ever respond to their message within that two hour period.

Last week they called to invite themselves over for dinner, which is fine, as they didn't have anything on the calendar and we were, you know, having dinner that night. The only problem is that I got finished with work at 6:00 and my wife had YW at 7:00. Shouldn't be a problem, as it rarely takes us more than 30 or 45 minutes or so to eat and clean up. Well, my wife left for YW at 7:00 and I needed to start the kids working on homework to get them in bed on time. It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th offer for a ride home at about 7:30 that the elders reluctantly took the hint that it was time to go. They didn't have any other teaching appointments that night, so they thought the most effective thing to do instead was member-missionary work, aka hang out at a members house instead of their own apartment.

Comment

I found this line very confusing:

Church leaders have come to accept the reality that God created gays and lesbians to help populate His world.
                        After reading it a few times, I get what he meant. But what he meant is not what he said.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I found this line very confusing:

After reading it a few times, I get what he meant. But what he meant is not what he said.
                          What did he mean to say? I don't understand what you believe he meant to say.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• He meant to say that Church leaders have come to accept that homosexuality is not a choice. He tried to cleverly phrase it by saying that God has chosen to populate his earth with all kinds of people, including homosexuals. It came out as if homosexuals are part of God's plan for multiplying and replenishing the earth, i.e. their reproduction is part of God's plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              After reading the article about missionaries, i saw this Op Ed link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...tices.html.csp

Thought it was pretty good.
                              Easier to accept the Church with those perspectives. Good article.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

He meant to say that Church leaders have come to accept that homosexuality is not a choice. He tried to cleverly phrase it by saying that God has chosen to populate his earth with all kinds of people, including homosexuals. It came out as if homosexuals are part of God's plan for multiplying and replenishing the earth, i.e. their reproduction is part of God's plan.
                                That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                                X