Hill Cumorah Pageant: Fab or Drab?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #1

    Hill Cumorah Pageant: Fab or Drab?

    Fabness and drabness coexisted peacefully at the 75th Hill Cumorah Pageant, where 750 Mormons acted out the Book of Mormon.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    I thought HCP was enjoyable. Not sure I would make it again, but definitely worth seeing once. Part of the allure is being in the area of so much important early Church history.

    The Manti Pageant is insufferable and one of the most boring Church activities i have ever experienced. The steak fry before the pageant isn't very good, either. I remember getting suckered into one of those spur of the moment things wherein some girls show up at your apartment and say, "we are getting a bunch of people together to go down to the Manti Pageant," and then we agreed because we thought it would be fun and we could score at some point. After driving down there and eating mediocre steak, I don't even think the show started until almost 10PM. Holy crap.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27881

      #3
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I thought HCP was enjoyable. Not sure I would make it again, but definitely worth seeing once. Part of the allure is being in the area of so much important early Church history.

      The Manti Pageant is insufferable and one of the most boring Church activities i have ever experienced. The steak fry before the pageant isn't very good, either. I remember getting suckered into one of those spur of the moment things wherein some girls show up at your apartment and say, "we are getting a bunch of people together to go down to the Manti Pageant," and then we agreed because we thought it would be fun and we could score at some point. After driving down there and eating mediocre steak, I don't even think the show started until almost 10PM. Holy crap.
      I'll echo the thoughts on Manti. I've never made it through that thing awake. I'm usually out after one hour. The only exciting part is the protesters.

      I've never seen HCP but I've seen City of Joseph in Nauvoo (when we lived in Iowa we went down). COJ is pretty cool and has some very original songs, but it was in mid to late July in Nauvoo
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25268

        #4
        "YOLO, sike!"
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • DrumNFeather
          Invisible Swordsman
          • Nov 2008
          • 8854

          #5
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I thought HCP was enjoyable. Not sure I would make it again, but definitely worth seeing once. Part of the allure is being in the area of so much important early Church history.

          The Manti Pageant is insufferable and one of the most boring Church activities i have ever experienced. The steak fry before the pageant isn't very good, either. I remember getting suckered into one of those spur of the moment things wherein some girls show up at your apartment and say, "we are getting a bunch of people together to go down to the Manti Pageant," and then we agreed because we thought it would be fun and we could score at some point. After driving down there and eating mediocre steak, I don't even think the show started until almost 10PM. Holy crap.
          This. And when I went, it rained, so people were holding umbrellas up and dripping them on folks behind them. I went for a girl, and then she spent the whole time with another dude. What an awful memory.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

          Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

          Comment

          • Clark Addison
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10310

            #6
            I used to like going to the Hill Comorah pageant, but I haven't been since I was a youth, so I don't remember anything about it.

            When I was in Utah a couple of weeks ago, some of my in-laws were headed to the Manti pageant, and my wife made noises about us going. We did not go.

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18026

              #7
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I'll echo the thoughts on Manti. I've never made it through that thing awake. I'm usually out after one hour. The only exciting part is the protesters.
              100% agree. It was insufferable, though laugh out loud in some parts (not in a good way). I can't believe that thing hasn't been updated.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              Working...