Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mass resignation event tomorrow (6/30/12)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mass resignation event tomorrow (6/30/12)

    I'm not participating in this, but it is headed by some friends of mine who I know from (but who are doing this separate from) the Mormon Expression Podcast.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85S12I20120629

    Coverage of this event was brought to you by the Mitt Romney candidacy.

  • #2
    "We're not doing it out of anger, and we're not doing it to poke a finger at the church," said organizer Zilpha Larsen, 36, a lifetime Mormon who has not attended church since 2005. "We're doing it to support each other in this decision that's going to cause pain for our families, which will cause pain for ourselves."
    Nor are we trying to get publicity in the papers.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment


    • #3
      several dozen Mormons =/= mass resignation
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Nor are we trying to get publicity in the papers.
        No, they are definitely trying to get publicity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          several dozen Mormons =/= mass resignation
          What would you call it?

          Comment


          • #6
            Ugh...
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment


            • #7
              OH NO!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                What would you call it?
                Childish.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                  What would you call it?
                  I don't know, but I wouldn't call 0.00005% of the church resigning as a mass resignation. They are probably also lapsed Mormons so it's not like they attend church anymore anyways.

                  Sure it's symbolic to them and the church, but labeling it "mass" is incredibly untruthful.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    What would you call it?
                    How about media whore resignation event for a couple dozen members?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      How about media whore resignation event for a couple dozen members?
                      This
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I don't know, but I wouldn't call 0.00005% of the church resigning as a mass resignation. They are probably also lapsed Mormons so it's not like they attend church anymore anyways.

                        Sure it's symbolic to them and the church, but labeling it "mass" is incredibly untruthful.
                        I think all it means is a group of people. I don't think they intend to give the impression it is bigger than it is, otherwise why call it mass and then in the same breath say "several dozen" in the only place you are going to get any publicity about it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hilarious and pathetic. I'm reminded of Michael Scott declaring: BANKRUPTCY!.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            Childish.
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            How about media whore resignation event for a couple dozen members?
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            This
                            In article they said the point was to get people talking about what it costs people to leave, so that maybe in the future that cost would be less. That is more or less the reason I posted it here, to get people talking about it. I understand why you guys see it this way, but I'm at least glad there is discussion about it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              In article they said the point was to get people talking about what it costs people to leave, so that maybe in the future that cost would be less. That is more or less the reason I posted it here, to get people talking about it. I understand why you guys see it this way, but I'm at least glad there is discussion about it.
                              You mean the $0.44 for the stamp to mail the letters?
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X