A rabbi, a Mormon and a black mayor...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16938

    #1

    A rabbi, a Mormon and a black mayor...

    Very interesting CNN article about three close friends from very different backgrounds. The Mormon is SUU President Michael Benson, whose brother, lapsed Mormon cartoonist Steve Benson, is the object of the rabbi's reactivation efforts. I've been a fan of the mayor, Cory Booker, for awhile.
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #2
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Very interesting CNN article about three close friends from very different backgrounds. The Mormon is SUU President Michael Benson, whose brother, lapsed Mormon cartoonist Steve Benson, is the object of the rabbi's reactivation efforts. I've been a fan of the mayor, Cory Booker, for awhile.
    Great article. Obviously, Benson is a local celebrity here and I first heard about Booker in a Netflix documentary a couple of years ago. Cool that they had crossed paths so long ago.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #3
      That's a great article. Funny that Booker and Benson bonded over sobriety.

      Comment

      • Maximus
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 6023

        #4
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Very interesting CNN article about three close friends from very different backgrounds. The Mormon is SUU President Michael Benson, whose brother, lapsed Mormon cartoonist Steve Benson, is the object of the rabbi's reactivation efforts. I've been a fan of the mayor, Cory Booker, for awhile.
        wait, they are trying to reactive steve benson? in what? doesnt he run exmormon.org

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #5
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Very interesting CNN article about three close friends from very different backgrounds. The Mormon is SUU President Michael Benson, whose brother, lapsed Mormon cartoonist Steve Benson, is the object of the rabbi's reactivation efforts. I've been a fan of the mayor, Cory Booker, for awhile.
          lol If a rabbi reactivates Steve Benson it will confirm my suspicion that he has a screw a little loose.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • HauteCoug
            Wants a Silver Fox
            • Oct 2011
            • 899

            #6
            I was just coming here to post this. I loved reading it - the way they're all able to tease each other and joke around and enjoy their differences is so refreshing.
            what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              I learned this week that Saratoga Springs, the town that has been engulfed in wildfire this week, elected a black Mormon female mayor. She seems quite young, as well. She has appeared on the news quite a bit as a spokesperson for the well-being of local residents.

              Female mayors in Utah are less common.
              Black female Mormons in Utah are also less common.
              I would venture that she is the only black female Mormon mayor in the world.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • hostile
                lollygagger
                • Dec 2009
                • 5736

                #8


                Mayor Booker again at the scene of an accident.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I learned this week that Saratoga Springs, the town that has been engulfed in wildfire this week, elected a black Mormon female mayor. She seems quite young, as well. She has appeared on the news quite a bit as a spokesperson for the well-being of local residents.

                  Female mayors in Utah are less common.
                  Black female Mormons in Utah are also less common.
                  I would venture that she is the only black female Mormon mayor in the world.
                  Hmmmmmm, I'd have to investigate Brazil before joining your venture. But, it's probably pretty likely that you're right.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • grapevine
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 1992

                    #10
                    Mark married Gordons granddaughter in a marriage that united the Hinckley Benson families. United I don't know if it is the word brought them together that way. they got divorced though. He I guess has a decent relationship with Steve. I doubt Steve will come back to church. On the BYUI website Gordon making reference to the empty chairs talk said Steve was arrogant. September 1999 devotional. Have to hear the audio. Interesting. I know some people that said Steve made comments that he as a grandson had a right to make. Thing is the church is still true in spite of what he said. His spirituality has suffered though.

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I learned this week that Saratoga Springs, the town that has been engulfed in wildfire this week, elected a black Mormon female mayor. She seems quite young, as well. She has appeared on the news quite a bit as a spokesperson for the well-being of local residents.

                      Female mayors in Utah are less common.
                      Black female Mormons in Utah are also less common.
                      I would venture that she is the only black female Mormon mayor in the world.
                      She is running for Congress and would be the first black female Republican in Congress. I guess she'd be the first black Mormon in Congress too. How times change.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #12
                        Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
                        I was just coming here to post this. I loved reading it - the way they're all able to tease each other and joke around and enjoy their differences is so refreshing.
                        What do you mean refreshing. You see that here every day.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          What do you mean refreshing. You see that here every day.
                          Honestly, I think this is more the norm than the exception. The only place I have lived where people acted like they were embattled over their religion is Utah. I'm sure there are other places, but where there is a large plurality of beliefs people more curious about each other than anything else.

                          Comment

                          • HauteCoug
                            Wants a Silver Fox
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 899

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            What do you mean refreshing. You see that here every day.
                            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            Honestly, I think this is more the norm than the exception. The only place I have lived where people acted like they were embattled over their religion is Utah. I'm sure there are other places, but where there is a large plurality of beliefs people more curious about each other than anything else.
                            Day-to-day, there's no question that this is more the norm. But how often do we see this represented in the media in this way? That's the refreshing thing: to look at a relationship between friends who love and appreciate the religious differences they hold and see it reported in such a positive way. It's not that it includes someone who is LDS. Rather, I just love seeing individuals come together and unifying in such a way.

                            And I agree UD - the behavior represented in the piece is representative of what I grew up around in CT.
                            what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #15
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              She is running for Congress and would be the first black female Republican in Congress. I guess she'd be the first black Mormon in Congress too. How times change.
                              She is a long shot to win it, however.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              Working...