Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't to you.
    Why is that?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Why is that?
      Because you are a really great guy with a ton of good qualities, I am being dead serious. Trying to see the other guys viewpoint isn't one of them.

Comment

Because you are a really great guy with a ton of good qualities, I am being dead serious. Trying to see the other guys viewpoint isn't one of them.
        You misunderstood me. You said:

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        You must feel there is something wrong with same sex attraction if you are so outraged they use the term.
        That doesn't make sense logically. There are lots of reasons (as has been explained in this thread) for objecting to usage of that term that have nothing to do with being revulsed by same sex attraction.

Kind of funny that you would accuse me of being close-minded right after posting this zinger:

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Just my opinion, but I think all of you are trying to feel good about yourselves and pat yourselves on the back for being such "progressive" folks.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Kind of funny that you would accuse me of being close-minded right after posting this zinger:

Really, surely you know the meaning of the words or phase "just my opinion" and "I think" as opposed to I know.

I guess instead of using those qualifiers in my statement I could have just replied, "that makes no sense".

Comment

There are lots of reasons (as has been explained in this thread) for objecting to usage of that term that have nothing to do with being revulsed by same sex attraction.

Indulge an old man here and repeat one of them would you? Remember, I am not into the, because it hurts someone's feelings thing so another one than that one would be helpful.

By the way, I always say gay and don't use SSA. It just seems redundant and gay is quicker to say. However, I don't assign negative vibes automatically to someone who does. It reminds me of the "illegal alien" thing. People are to be condemned for using a factual statement. I don't use that one anymore out of respect to Wuap.

Comment

Really, surely you know the meaning of the words or phase "just my opinion" and "I think" as opposed to I know.
              Those qualifiers are all meaningless since everything we post here boils down to our opinion.

Comment

That may be true and shame on them. However, what I find ironic is that those of you who are concerned fall right into the trap. You must feel there is something wrong with same sex attraction if you are so outraged they use the term

As far as the "bigots" they are appealing to, do you really think they think of anything different when they hear gay or same sex attraction? Just my opinion, but I think all of you are trying to feel good about yourselves and pat yourselves on the back for being such "progressive" folks.
                Yeah, that describes it perfectly :SARCASM:
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  The only thing it proves is that there are GAs who refer to being gay (oops sorry, same-sex attracted) as an affliction.
                  There is no dispute there.

Comment

You misunderstood me. You said:

That doesn't make sense logically. There are lots of reasons (as has been explained in this thread) for objecting to usage of that term that have nothing to do with being revulsed by same sex attraction.

I have seem to missed the explanations so far. What is the explanation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Yeah, that describes it perfectly :SARCASM:
                      Good point. What thoughtful person would hear what someone said and then decide what their motive was and concemn them? I apologize.

Comment

• The president of the Western Los Angeles County Council, my BSA council, Alan Snyder, is one member of a four-person discussion panel in this NPR show:

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp...outs_and_strai

We voted for the change. Our council wanted to go further and allow gay leaders too but decided to go along with the proposal that prevailed. (Alan's not LDS and we have very small representation on the council board. (One person.) It's an interesting program if you have time to listen to it.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Local pastor resigns from BSA council over recent decision:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...in-policy.html

"We will not follow the BSA, Trapper Trails Council nor Mormons in endorsing what scripture and the church of Jesus Christ through the ages has defined as sin," the letter reads.
                          Still kind of odd (and refreshing) to see the Mormons singled out for supporting gay rights.

Comment

• http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25627371&nid...&s_cid=queue-6

If you ask me, this whole thing isn't about the gay agenda as it is about owning a golden retriever.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• We read a letter from the FP in sacrament meeting yesterday, reaffirming the church's support for scouting and its position on the gay issue.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                We read a letter from the FP in sacrament meeting yesterday, reaffirming the church's support for scouting and its position on the gay issue.
                                In the FP letter, there was no explicit reference to the "gay issue".
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                                X