Randy Bott and the Priesthood Ban

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #691
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thanks. You are proving my point.
    Along these lines, I came away from that article with a "you have to find out for yourself" [but you had better get the "right" answer] message.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #692


      The whole podcast is worth listening to, but go to 46:30 to get his views on blacks and the priesthood.
      Last edited by Indy Coug; 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #693
        Honestly, I'm pretty surprised. A bunch of very smart, highly educated men defending purely ad hominem attacks. Have you really thought that through?
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #694
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Honestly, I'm pretty surprised. A bunch of very smart, highly educated men defending purely ad hominem attacks. Have you really thought that through?
          where are the ad hominem attacks? They read an article and pointed out that he could be seen as an Uncle Tom because of the arguments he put forth in it.

          I don't see that as an attempt to negate his arguments by belittling his character, rather an interpretation of how his arguments could be interpreted.

          I don't like the epithet either, but I don't think it is being used as an ad hominem, at least as I understand the term.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15665

            #695
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            It's an extremely offensive term for a white person to use, and I wouldn't use it, and probably shouldn't have said I was glad someone used it. But it's the term you naturally think of when you see a black person protecting a white organization rightly accused of racism.
            Ah. That's the difference. The people calling him an Uncle Tom are RIGHT.

            IndyCoug and LAUte, we expect your apologies forthwith.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #696
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Ah. That's the difference. The people calling him an Uncle Tom are RIGHT.

              IndyCoug and LAUte, we expect your apologies forthwith.
              I dont Know who is Right or wrong on this board, but I'd be genuinely interested in your explanation for the ban if you had one.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • pellegrino
                miserere me
                • Jan 2009
                • 12100

                #697
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Ah. That's the difference. The people calling him an Uncle Tom are RIGHT.

                IndyCoug and LAUte, we expect your apologies forthwith.
                right about what? are they right in their opinion on the origin of the priesthood ban or are they right about calling him an uncle tom?

                If you're saying they're right about the latter then you might be on to something

                The term Uncle Tom describes someone who willingly or unwillingly betrays their own (insert group here, but it usually refers to a racial group) by justifying, aiding or participating in its oppression. I think that based on what Hamilton is proposing with this article, the term is not out of bounds. Yes, it is a highly charged term, hence the reaction from LA Ute and Indy, but it is very specific and under the circumstances it might be a very accurate descriptor.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                pelagius

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #698
                  Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  right about what? are they right in their opinion on the origin of the priesthood ban or are they right about calling him an uncle tom?

                  If you're saying they're right about the latter then you might be on to something

                  The term Uncle Tom describes someone who willingly or unwillingly betrays their own (insert group here, but it usually refers to a racial group) by justifying, aiding or participating in its oppression. I think that based on what Hamilton is proposing with this article, the term is not out of bounds. Yes, it is a highly charged term, hence the reaction from LA Ute and Indy, but it is very specific and under the circumstances it might be a very accurate descriptor.
                  You are splitting hairs now.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #699
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    You are splitting hairs now.
                    I told you how I feel about it, but that doesn't mean others can't feel differently and if ever there were a situation for the correct use of the term . . .
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • All-American
                      Right, as Usual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 15665

                      #700
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I dont Know who is Right or wrong on this board, but I'd be genuinely interested in your explanation for the ban if you had one.
                      I've given it before.



                      It was almost three years ago (time flies, doesn't it?), but it still mostly represents how I feel about the topic.
                      Last edited by All-American; 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15665

                        #701
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        right about what? are they right in their opinion on the origin of the priesthood ban or are they right about calling him an uncle tom?

                        If you're saying they're right about the latter then you might be on to something

                        The term Uncle Tom describes someone who willingly or unwillingly betrays their own (insert group here, but it usually refers to a racial group) by justifying, aiding or participating in its oppression. I think that based on what Hamilton is proposing with this article, the term is not out of bounds. Yes, it is a highly charged term, hence the reaction from LA Ute and Indy, but it is very specific and under the circumstances it might be a very accurate descriptor.
                        Like I said. It's apparently okay to use the highly charged and derogatory term, as long as you're RIGHT when you use it.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • All-American
                          Right, as Usual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 15665

                          #702
                          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          I told you how I feel about it, but that doesn't mean others can't feel differently and if ever there were a situation for the correct use of the term . . .
                          I invite you to revisit that presumption. It's possible to make the same argument without using that term. It would probably be a lot more effective, too.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #703
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I invite you to revisit that presumption. It's possible to make the same argument without using that term. It would probably be a lot more effective, too.
                            Then educate us. As derogatory as it may be, If you can think of a concise term that conveys the same sense without the historical baggage, then by all means propose it as an alternative. Scolding people for using a term correctly simply because it offends doesn't contribute much and isn't very effective.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #704
                              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                              Then educate us. As derogatory as it may be, If you can think of a concise term that conveys the same sense without the historical baggage, then by all means propose it as an alternative. Scolding people for using a term correctly simply because it offends doesn't contribute much and isn't very effective.
                              I think about as far as you could defensibly go is calling him an apologist - which is a race-neutral label. IMO, "Uncle Tom" is on the other side of a coin that has the "n word" written on it.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • pellegrino
                                miserere me
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12100

                                #705
                                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                I think about as far as you could defensibly go is calling him an apologist - which is a race-neutral label. IMO, "Uncle Tom" is on the other side of a coin that has the "n word" written on it.
                                Apologist doesn't come near the precision of Uncle Tom, it lacks the sense of betrayal, the lack of solidarity. Traitor to or betraying one's own would be close. Perhaps sellout would work.

                                I don't think Uncle Tom is a racial epithet, an epithet, yes, but I don't think it's tantamount to the N word. Just my own, malleable opinion though.
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

                                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                                pelagius

                                Comment

                                Working...