How big is reality?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Okay. Thank you for that clarification.

    someone didn't take physics in college.

    in the alternative, someone didn't do very well in physics in college.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Lost Student
      BAND!
      • Nov 2008
      • 4324

      #17
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Okay. Thank you for that clarification.

      The number of legal chess positions is 10^40, the number of different possible games, 10^120. Authors have attempted various ways to convey this immensity, usually based on one of the few fields to regularly employ such exponents, astronomy. In his book Chess Metaphors, Diego Rasskin-Gutman points out...

      Wolfram|Alpha brings expert-level knowledge and capabilities to the broadest possible range of people—spanning all professions and education levels.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37987

        #18
        I'd prefer to live in my own world rather than check those links. I've yet to be wrong in my world.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69708

          #19
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          There are more moves possible in a chess game than there are atoms in the known universe or tomes in the Library of Babel. Thought trumps reality every single time.

          However, if we take an Ancient Greek concept of eternity and postulate that given infinite time the universe could conceivably combine into every single different combination of atoms possible in the laws of nature, which might indicate that any thought I have could be achieved in infinity.

          BUT, I can imagine things which cannot be. Thought wins.

          Looks like you are pulling a cheap parlor trick. I am not buying it.

          Are we talking actual thoughts, or just some number we can write down? Is one human being (or all human beings combined), capable of thinking through every possible move in a chess game? Or are they simply capable of thinking of a tiny subset of the moves and coming up with a formula describing how many moves there are? Big difference.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #20
            Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
            In one, I got laid. In the other, I didn't.
            ha! dreamer!
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #21
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Looks like you are pulling a cheap parlor trick. I am not buying it.

              Are we talking actual thoughts, or just some number we can write down? Is one human being (or all human beings combined), capable of thinking through every possible move in a chess game? Or are they simply capable of thinking of a tiny subset of the moves and coming up with a formula describing how many moves there are? Big difference.
              Given infinite time, yes, they are.
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69708

                #22
                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                Given infinite time, yes, they are.
                Given infinite time, the atoms in the universe will rearrange in an infinite number of ways.

                Advantage: reality
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Given infinite time, the atoms in the universe will rearrange in an infinite number of ways.
                  WRONG!

                  Infinite time would yield all possible combinations of atoms. I can imagine impossible combinations.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37987

                    #24
                    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    WRONG!

                    Infinite time would yield all possible combinations of atoms. I can imagine impossible combinations.
                    I thought we were talking about chess?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69708

                      #25
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      WRONG!

                      Infinite time would yield all possible combinations of atoms. I can imagine impossible combinations.
                      You can only imagine combinations (possible or otherwise) using your physical brain and electrons firing across your synapses. All of which is uniquely defined by configurations of atoms at a snapshot in time. To state that your thoughts are more complex than configurations of atoms is a self contradiction.

                      Neener, neener.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Portland Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 5647

                        #26
                        Anything that is reality can be embellished in the mind.

                        I think there are more things that exist in though than in reality.

                        Comment

                        • Portland Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5647

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          You can only imagine combinations (possible or otherwise) using your physical brain and electrons firing across your synapses. All of which is uniquely defined by configurations of atoms at a snapshot in time. To state that your thoughts are more complex than configurations of atoms is a self contradiction.

                          Neener, neener.
                          Yeah, but in thought, there are no laws of physics or chemistry.

                          If you want to think about burning hot snow, you can.

                          Or, if you want to think about humans in un-aided flight, it's possible...but that will never be reality.

                          Certainly, one could say that there are more thing possible in thought than are currently reality.

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #28
                            I said reality is bigger because I believe there is more that is knowable than is known or can even be imagined. I'm assuming here that there is much that is real (that is, it is capable of being perceived) that is not yet perceived, even though I get the idea that in some sense things are not real until they are perceived, if that makes sense.

                            Comment

                            • Viking
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 6470

                              #29
                              I think reality is what we see. What we think can be far more than what we see.

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27883

                                #30
                                I'm for option 3. I think our thoughts create our reality.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...