The problem with LDS apologetics

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #61
    Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I just wonder sometimes if this isn't a case of a tempest in a teapot. Sometimes it seems that way. Especially when I look around me at my ward. I don't see people leaving in droves.

    When I fixate on my feelings/thoughts, read CUF, Dehlin, etc., I really start to believe that everyone in the Church is on the verge of leaving. However, when I go to church on Sunday, I really feel like I am alone.

    I don't know if that makes sense...
    I have become convinced that 99% of active members don't fit in the boxes / buckets we try to put them in. Faith is a spectrum ... I just don't see it as all those people at Church on Sunday are mindless Type 1's and the Type 2's are all apostasizing "in droves".
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #62
      Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      I have become convinced that 99% of active members don't fit in the boxes / buckets we try to put them in. Faith is a spectrum ... I just don't see it as all those people at Church on Sunday are mindless Type 1's and the Type 2's are all apostasizing "in droves".
      You seem to be offended by my Type 1 and Type 2. I didn't mean to say dumb people are type 1 and smart people are type 2. Not at all. It's purely a matter of faith.

      Comment

      • Sleeping in EQ
        Philosopher of Men
        • Nov 2008
        • 4188

        #63
        Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
        Helen was sealed to Joseph at the age of 14 and continued to live with her parents. There is no evidence, or even speculation, that her relationship with Joseph was more than a formality.

        Fanny, age 16, is believed to have been a wife in every sense of the word. Though any 'evidence' of the true nature of their relationship is hearsay, at best.

        The distinction between sealing and marriage is important when discussing the first polygamous relationships.
        Um, yeah. I didn't comment on any sexuality in the relationship.

        Thanks for your thoughts, though.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

        Comment

        • SloanHater
          Banned
          • Feb 2009
          • 1348

          #64
          Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          Um, yeah. I didn't comment on any sexuality in the relationship.

          Thanks for your thoughts, though.
          My comments were directed at the Joseph was a Pedophile crowd. *cough*Scorcho*cough*

          Comment

          • Scorcho
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 835

            #65
            Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            My comments were directed at the Joseph was a Pedophile crowd. *cough*Scorcho*cough*
            Thanks for that. I know you're trying to pin the troll anit-lds label on me .... whatever.

            There are a lot of things that are puzzling about the LDS Faith that aren't easily explainable ... Mountain Meadow Massacre, Dinosaurs, etc. It doesn't distract from my beliefs in the truthfulness of the restored gospel, it's just another thing to add to the list of strange things that we don't know the entire truth about.

            I thought J.S. marrying a 14 yr. old was an interesting not widely known fact and simply commented on it. My first foray into the religious side of this message board. I guess I'll stick to sports.

            Comment

            • Sullyute
              a day late/a dollar short
              • Jul 2010
              • 3308

              #66
              Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
              Thanks for that. I know you're trying to pin the troll anit-lds label on me .... whatever.

              There are a lot of things that are puzzling about the LDS Faith that aren't easily explainable ... Mountain Meadow Massacre, Dinosaurs, etc. It doesn't distract from my beliefs in the truthfulness of the restored gospel, it's just another thing to add to the list of strange things that we don't know the entire truth about.

              I thought J.S. marrying a 14 yr. old was an interesting not widely known fact and simply commented on it. My first foray into the religious side of this message board. I guess I'll stick to sports.

              Scorcho, stick around these parts. We need as many different voices in the foyer as possible. :thumbsup:
              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

              Comment

              • ERCougar
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10978

                #67
                Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                Scorcho, stick around these parts. We need as many different voices in the foyer as possible. :thumbsup:
                Certainly don't leave on account of sloanhater.

                (I'm not sure I'm on board with his minimum age of 16 anyway. Nor do I think the lack of a sexual relationship in any way justifies the marriage to Helen Kimball. Read her account--it's pretty disturbing.)
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #68
                  I wish everyone would calm down abotu this. Yes, he married Kimball when she was 14. It also appears there was no sexual realtionship. While the second fact may or may not inform the propriety of the first, it is certainly pertinent in considering it. So the facts are on the table. I dont see why anyone needs to leave or why people are being so touchy about it.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #69
                    Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I wish everyone would calm down abotu this. Yes, he married Kimball when she was 14. It also appears there was no sexual realtionship. While the second fact may or may not inform the propriety of the first, it is certainly pertinent in considering it. So the facts are on the table. I dont see why anyone needs to leave or why people are being so touchy about it.
                    So the interesting question remains: "Why marry a 14 year old girl, when apparently nothing happened other than a marriage ceremony?"
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • creekster
                      It is NOT a monkey!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22661

                      #70
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      So the interesting question remains: "Why marry a 14 year old girl, when apparently nothing happened other than a marriage ceremony?"
                      I dont know. UD (I think) said it was dynastic. Maybe so. I am not knowleedgeable to say. But if people care to propose ideas I hope we can do so without making anyone feel like they should leave.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #71
                        Evidence of lack of sexual relationship: Helen Kimball lived with her parents.

                        oh, brother.

                        There isn't any way to confirm lack of sexual activity. There are only slightly more ways to confirm actual sexual activity.

                        What we do know definitely is that he married a 14 year old girl.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #72
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Evidence of lack of sexual relationship: Helen Kimball lived with her parents.

                          oh, brother.

                          There isn't any way to confirm lack of sexual activity. There are only slightly more ways to confirm actual sexual activity.

                          What we do know definitely is that he married a 14 year old girl.
                          I am not well read on this, but my understanding is that the evidence is somewhat more substantial than that.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69695

                            #73
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            So the interesting question remains: "Why marry a 14 year old girl, when apparently nothing happened other than a marriage ceremony?"
                            Can't think of a single good reason.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #74
                              Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              I dont know. UD (I think) said it was dynastic. Maybe so. I am not knowleedgeable to say. But if people care to propose ideas I hope we can do so without making anyone feel like they should leave.
                              My personal opinion (and as an opinion, I'm not offering any facts because it is an opinion and nothing more) is that the nature of relationships and marriage in the hereafter is radically different than our westernized implementation of it would have us otherwise believe. I think Joseph understood this to some degree and things like this were the result.

                              But there are so many blanks left unfilled by Joseph on this issue that it's really impossible to know one way or another.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #75
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                I am not well read on this, but my understanding is that the evidence is somewhat more substantial than that.
                                what sort of substantial evidence is there that no sexual activity has taken place between two people? A denial? A lack of accusation?
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...