"Addiction to food..."

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #61
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    Some of the "dumbest" people I know (in terms of judgment) are law school grads, by the way . . . I won't say anything about med school grads.
    I knew a lot of people in law school who utterly lacked commonsense. They ended up in health care law mostly.

    Comment

    • LA Ute
      Receiver of Memory
      • Nov 2008
      • 19512

      #62
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      And mine.

      I'm not saying everyone who looks at porn or gambles or overeats is suffering from addiction. I'm just saying that our current definition of addiction, at least when used by anyone who's halfway serious about the subject, is pretty good at distinguishing the serious from the nonserious cases, and that it can apply to many things non-chemical.
      Amen.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden


      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #63
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        I knew a lot of people in law school who utterly lacked commonsense. They ended up in health care law mostly.
        Et tu, Utah Dan?
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #64
          If this is the rebirth of the Foyer DDD was talking about then I opt out.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #65
            Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
            If this is the rebirth of the Foyer DDD was talking about then I opt out.
            You felt compelled to read this thread?
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • pellegrino
              miserere me
              • Jan 2009
              • 12100

              #66
              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              You felt compelled to read this thread?
              I think there is a difference between skim and read. But I'm not interested in arguing semantics.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

              Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

              pelagius

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #67
                Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                I think there is a difference between skim and read. But I'm not interested in arguing semantics.
                That was a pretty semantic exercise, wasn't it? Must have something to do with all the lawyers on this board . . . . Seriously, I was simply defending the seriousness the of the problem that Elder Hales was addressing, regardless of the name for it. And I was reminded of what "addiction" really means, and Seattle found an opening for a gratuitous swipe at believing Mormons. So there's been some merit to this discussion.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #68
                  Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  If this is the rebirth of the Foyer DDD was talking about then I opt out.
                  You lack the gift, I see. I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do for you.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #69
                    Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    If this is the rebirth of the Foyer DDD was talking about then I opt out.
                    I really don't understand the need to "call out" threads for being boring. If something isn't interesting to me, I just ignore it. How about you start something more interesting?

                    Addiction is a term that is increasing very much in its use in the Church -- I don't think a little debate on its proper usage is out of line.

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #70
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      Foul.
                      I don't care what the consensus among "Stake Presidents" is on a subject. The fact that they are disporportionatly represented by Harvard MBA's or members of the million dollar round table doesn't make them any more qualified than you or I to opine about addiction. No one should care what they think.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • pellegrino
                        miserere me
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 12100

                        #71
                        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        I really don't understand the need to "call out" threads for being boring. If something isn't interesting to me, I just ignore it. How about you start something more interesting?

                        Addiction is a term that is increasing very much in its use in the Church -- I don't think a little debate on its proper usage is out of line.
                        Actually, the topic of excesses in the church (be they addictions or not) is very interesting, it's just that this conversation (through no fault of your own) devolved into something less than interesting. I'll see if I can't take you up on your challenge and exercise my faculties to produce a stimulating conversation. I'll admit that's not really my forte though, as I am usually better in responding than instigating.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

                        Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                        pelagius

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #72
                          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          Actually, the topic of excesses in the church (be they addictions or not) is very interesting, it's just that this conversation (through no fault of your own) devolved into something less than interesting. I'll see if I can't take you up on your challenge and exercise my faculties to produce a stimulating conversation. I'll admit that's not really my forte though, as I am usually better in responding than instigating.
                          Sorry if we offended you. You might be happier just taking a poll of stake presidents to find out what to think about addiction.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          Working...