How did he get that nice, big house?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10450

    #16
    Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I believe these folks are Mckay Jacobsen's uncle/cousin.
    You are correct.

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #17
      Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
      Every now and then I drive through Fountain Green here in Sanpete County. There's a very nice house on the north end of town, right on State Street.

      I have always wondered what the guy that lives there does for a living. The house really stands out since Sanpete County is pretty depressed.

      I found out today how he does it. He runs a 220 million dollar ponzi scheme and he just got busted. Oops.
      So turns out it's not a Ponzi scheme I guess?

      It was once touted by federal regulators as the largest financial fraud in Utah history, but a

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69718

        #18
        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        So turns out it's not a Ponzi scheme I guess?

        http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ndell.html.csp
        I'll be darned. He and I share the same attorney.

        No wonder he got a favorable ruling. That guy is really good.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #19
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          So turns out it's not a Ponzi scheme I guess?

          http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ndell.html.csp
          I forget but isn't that similar to the ruling in the Michael Smith case?
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Harry Tic
            I've Made a Huge Mistake.
            • Dec 2011
            • 1660

            #20
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I'll be darned. He and I share the same attorney.
            I will know that I have arrived when I have my own attorney. I guess this whole CS gig is both more lucrative and more a pain in the derriere than it might appear.
            Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
            --William Blake, via Shpongle

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69718

              #21
              Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
              I will know that I have arrived when I have my own attorney. I guess this whole CS gig is both more lucrative and more a pain in the derriere than it might appear.
              You have no idea.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • thesaint258
                aka Benito Hazard
                • Jan 2009
                • 3005

                #22
                That's pretty interesting. I'll have to pull that opinion and see what Judge Jenkins said since I have to deal with alleged Ponzi schemes from time to time.
                Not that, sickos.

                Comment

                • Paperback Writer
                  Signature won a Pulitzer
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 5211

                  #23
                  It seems that the judges ruling is favorable to investors and that the investors are fairly untited against the court appointed receiver. Apparently, a key difference between this and traditional Ponzi schemes is that there are assets of real estate at stake. Rather then liquidate all assets and sell properties that may be under valued and are now appreciating towards original values, investors want to sell only some properties and manage and hang onto others. It also prevents the court appointed receiver from claiming money/returns paid to earlier investors to be put back into the pot to commpensate all investors. I suppose later investors who probably have received little return on their investment have determined that they will get more money back by the investor group managing the real estate then by forcing earlier investors to return gains and sell all the real estate at perhaps an unfavorable time.

                  So my take is that the main reason the judge declared it not a Ponzi scheme is because that's what the investors want. Something I agree with but that doesn't make it less of a fraud. It would seem that with the crash of the real estate market, money from new investors was being used to pay promised returns to current investors so that they wouldn't pull out and bring down the whole enterprise. Basically, they are trying to buy time for the business/enterprise to recover. That's somewhat understandable although still illegal.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I'll be darned. He and I share the same attorney.

                    No wonder he got a favorable ruling. That guy is really good.
                    I figured you'd have a Cuffer as your attorney.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21143

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      It seems that the judges ruling is favorable to investors and that the investors are fairly untited against the court appointed receiver. Apparently, a key difference between this and traditional Ponzi schemes is that there are assets of real estate at stake. Rather then liquidate all assets and sell properties that may be under valued and are now appreciating towards original values, investors want to sell only some properties and manage and hang onto others. It also prevents the court appointed receiver from claiming money/returns paid to earlier investors to be put back into the pot to commpensate all investors. I suppose later investors who probably have received little return on their investment have determined that they will get more money back by the investor group managing the real estate then by forcing earlier investors to return gains and sell all the real estate at perhaps an unfavorable time.

                      So my take is that the main reason the judge declared it not a Ponzi scheme is because that's what the investors want. Something I agree with but that doesn't make it less of a fraud. It would seem that with the crash of the real estate market, money from new investors was being used to pay promised returns to current investors so that they wouldn't pull out and bring down the whole enterprise. Basically, they are trying to buy time for the business/enterprise to recover. That's somewhat understandable although still illegal.
                      There is probably more distinction between the two cases, but the one linked below is somewhat similar in that there were real estate assets and the management was accused of using new investor money to pay old investors' returns. But the trustee didn't wait for any ruling on whether or not it was a Ponzi scheme before filing avoidance actions against a slew of investors to claw back the money the investors had received from the company and its subsidiaries during the four years prior to the bankruptcy filing.

                      http://www.kccllc.net/dbsi


                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      I figured you'd have a Cuffer as your attorney.
                      Where did it say the attorney was not a Cuffer/CSer?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • thesaint258
                        aka Benito Hazard
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 3005

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        There is probably more distinction between the two cases, but the one linked below is somewhat similar in that there were real estate assets and the management was accused of using new investor money to pay old investors' returns. But the trustee didn't wait for any ruling on whether or not it was a Ponzi scheme before filing avoidance actions against a slew of investors to claw back the money the investors had received from the company and its subsidiaries during the four years prior to the bankruptcy filing.

                        http://www.kccllc.net/dbsi




                        Where did it say the attorney was not a Cuffer/CSer?
                        That's what bugs me about how trustees/receivers work now. They operate under the theory that if you call something a Ponzi scheme from the beginning, it's true, and no one spends the money to fight it. The Ponzi presumption is a good one if there's a true Ponzi scheme, but there are cases in which the presumption is more harmful than not.
                        Not that, sickos.

                        Comment

                        • Paperback Writer
                          Signature won a Pulitzer
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 5211

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          There is probably more distinction between the two cases, but the one linked below is somewhat similar in that there were real estate assets and the management was accused of using new investor money to pay old investors' returns. But the trustee didn't wait for any ruling on whether or not it was a Ponzi scheme before filing avoidance actions against a slew of investors to claw back the money the investors had received from the company and its subsidiaries during the four years prior to the bankruptcy filing.

                          http://www.kccllc.net/dbsi
                          Interesting. I wonder if their are differences due to juristiction; Deleware vs Utah. The Utah case decision was a by federal judge though. I do question why the receiver didn't claw back earlier returns. I dunno. Not an attorney but I did once stay at a Holiday Inn.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69718

                            #28
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            I figured you'd have a Cuffer as your attorney.
                            Hire one of these clowns? No way.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Dwight Schr-ute
                              Members Only
                              • May 2011
                              • 4917

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Hire one of these clowns? No way.
                              No kidding. Not only would he have an attorney that just dick around on the Internet all day, that amounts to some serious billable hours.
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                              Comment

                              • wuapinmon
                                Soul Plumber
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 30711

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Where did it say the attorney was not a Cuffer/CSer?
                                He said that the attorney was really good.
                                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                                Comment

                                Working...