Being gay and Mormon.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HauteCoug
    Wants a Silver Fox
    • Oct 2011
    • 899

    #61
    Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    That's not fair. SU is clearly the Ute version of DDD -- give Triples his due. DDD = Radiohead, SU = Coldplay/Travis/Muse/all other imitators.
    Ever been to a Muse concert? Muse and Coldplay should not be considered on the same level. At all.

    p.s. The Smith's >>>>> all of the above.
    what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

    Comment

    • HauteCoug
      Wants a Silver Fox
      • Oct 2011
      • 899

      #62
      Originally posted by hopfrog View Post
      Bullshit. I'm in a loving platonic relationship and active in the church. I hope to live with my handsome companion for the rest of my life, and I vow to remain faithful to the God that personal revelation has shewn me to be a living Being. Y'all have to consider the power of personal testimony, which is so vital to being LDS. It doesn't explain anything to have a personal testimony, but it gives me foundation of faith on which to stand, however unsteadily. There is also the emotional connection that comes from being raised LDS and needing, potently, to be a member of the club. There are so many components to being LDS.

      I have to come to terms with what I think of as God's homophobia. When I was interviewed for FAR BETWEEN, the forthcoming documentary on queer Mormons, and I told my interviewer that I see God as homophobic, he looked shocked. When I expressed this same view to my Bishop, he became almost emotional in refuting it. So I have to reconsider this idea, personally. I see very little that is queer-embracing in the Plan of Salvation. It seems designed for heterosexuals alone. But I am still clueless about much in the Gospel. I don't mind yet having a lot of learn.

      Y'all are a wonderful university of ideas, information and passion. Kisses.

      This entire comment is SO interesting to me. I feel like there's no possible way that the God I know exists doesn't have a part of the plan that enables gay individuals to have love and happiness as well. I guess I'm hoping that answers will materialize. Does that make me naive?


      Originally posted by Viking View Post
      I know I'm clearly not his type. Straight, fan of D-cupped, thin, blonde-haired, blue eyed women who are frequently mistaken for Elisabeth Shue (other than the blue eyes, that's pretty close).

      That said, our kind love gay people. Hell, my sister has almost married a couple.
      ONE VIKING. ONE guy was/is gay. The others were just... assholes and boring. Damn, I have bad taste in men. This is how I feel these days
      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed your link for you. Use the image tag in the editor toolbar.
      what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

      Comment

      • Shaka
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 10450

        #63
        Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
        Ever been to a Muse concert? Muse and Coldplay should not be considered on the same level. At all.

        p.s. The Smith's >>>>> all of the above.
        I've seen all of them. The one Muse show and two Coldplay shows I've attended were fantastic.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69747

          #64
          Hottie, why did you post that twice?

          I fixed your link in the first post. Just click on the image icon in the editor and paste the URL for your image. Then it will show up in its full glory in your post.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • HauteCoug
            Wants a Silver Fox
            • Oct 2011
            • 899

            #65
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            I've seen all of them. The one Muse show and two Coldplay shows I've attended were fantastic.
            Muse rivals only Rush in concert. Coldplay? Chris Martin can't sing on key to save his life, but the energy can be fun. I've never seen The Smith's in concert... I mean... I'm not that old...
            what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

            Comment

            • HauteCoug
              Wants a Silver Fox
              • Oct 2011
              • 899

              #66
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Hottie, why did you post that twice?

              I fixed your link in the first post. Just click on the image icon in the editor and paste the URL for your image. Then it will show up in its full glory in your post.
              I didn't mean to. For a second I thought I hadn't posted it - thanks. Still learning the ropes. I'm a text -only kinda girl; all this fancy schmancy in text photo business is beyond my mediocre capabilities.
              what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

              Comment

              • lambdacoug
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2011
                • 3981

                #67
                Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                Muse rivals only Rush in concert. Coldplay? Chris Martin can't sing on key to save his life, but the energy can be fun. I've never seen The Smith's in concert... I mean... I'm not that old...
                Wow, a debate on the merits of Rush vs Coldplay. Give me GNR, Metallica, CCR, Staind and any number of other bands instead. Thank you.
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

                Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                Comment

                • SuperGabers
                  aka... UtahDan's Wifey
                  • May 2009
                  • 2182

                  #68
                  Do Not Do This Hottie

                  Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                  I didn't mean to. For a second I thought I hadn't posted it - thanks. Still learning the ropes. I'm a text -only kinda girl; all this fancy schmancy in text photo business is beyond my mediocre capabilities.
                  Well, at least you have already learned not to post a title in an existing thread...

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10450

                    #69
                    Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                    Muse rivals only Rush in concert. Coldplay? Chris Martin can't sing on key to save his life, but the energy can be fun. I've never seen The Smith's in concert... I mean... I'm not that old...
                    Sorry, I meant Muse, Coldplay, and Radiohead. Smiths didn't figure into my musical thinking until long after their heyday.

                    Comment

                    • HauteCoug
                      Wants a Silver Fox
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 899

                      #70
                      Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                      Wow, a debate on the merits of Rush vs Coldplay. Give me GNR, Metallica, CCR, Staind and any number of other bands instead. Thank you.
                      Really? Staind? REALLY? The first three are completely negated by that final inclusion. Ick.
                      what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                      Comment

                      • hopfrog
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 140

                        #71
                        Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                        I'm glad you can manage the divide between you and what teh gospel says. In my experience, a disproportionate amount of the exmormon community is gay, which suggests you are the exception. If I were a believing man, I could not fathom the idea of loving a god that is homophobic, as you put it. I'm not though, nor am I gay, but I'll fight for what is just. And that is not the mormon church's take on homosexuality.
                        My dad was homophobic up the arse, but I loved him. I didn't respect with his bigotry, and I get pissed at the idea that God created me queer and then said, "Oh, by the way, it's My Way or nothing." I get my tits in a twist just thinking about it all. So I try to keep it simple and be totally myself, a queer punk transvestite returned missionary. It ain't easy, but it sure as hell ain't boring.
                        "We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
                        --Henry James (1843-1916)

                        Comment

                        • hopfrog
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 140

                          #72
                          Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          interesting Hopfrog. Athiestcoug should have said a loving, sexually intimate relationship. Platonic love is available for all. Is that enough? Should it be enough? Heterosexuals can hope for more, but LGBT members cannot. How does your platonic partner feel about your limits on the relationship you share? Does he also pledge to be celibate? He is ok with your choice and your restrictions on your relationship? If the answer is yes, then you are truly more rare than a gay mormon. You are 0.001% of the 10% (yeah yeah I know lots of people here don't believe 10%).

                          If the answer is that your partner is ok with your platonic relationship, but he does not pledge to be celibate, and will have fulfillment of sexual intimacy with others, then you are a very unique and understanding man.

                          Do you really feel no sense of loss knowing that the religion you adhere to has no inclusion of this important piece of human intimacy for you? I know you have said in the past that you have been down sexual paths that have brought you pain and unhappiness, but loving sexual intimacy with an equally committed partner is not this unhappy path whether it be homosexual or hetersexual. Giving this up seems sad to me, but as long as you find happiness in it then that is all that matters for you...your partner is another story though.

                          These are personal questions and you don't need to feel compelled to answer, but I am curious what your response would be.

                          It seems as if you are such a rare exceptoion to the rule that it isn't really the example others can follow. Very punk rock and very cool but not realistic.
                          My boyfriend loves sex and so he's on Craig's List a lot looking for dates. I encourage him to do so. My decision to be celibate came after I spent three months working the streets as a male whore, an experience that put me off sex forever. It's my own personal decision. Cris and I have a solid loving relationship, but it is entirely non-physical, I have never kissed him. Yet the love is intense, just as much so as my testimony of the Restored Gospel.

                          I know that I am an extremely freakish case and far removed from the normal gay Mormon experience. I always insist that I represent myself alone. I think my profile photo of me in Boy George drag wearing me Joseph Smith/Ensign tee is fully representative. She's one weird girl, that Queen.
                          "We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
                          --Henry James (1843-1916)

                          Comment

                          • EuropeanFootballMale
                            Karate/Friendship Master
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 1339

                            #73
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Thats fine with me. Most of the Beatles are dead.
                            Here comes a 50% isn't most rumble. I can't wait!!

                            Comment

                            • HauteCoug
                              Wants a Silver Fox
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 899

                              #74
                              Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                              Here comes a 50% isn't most rumble. I can't wait!!
                              Ringo doesn't count.
                              what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                              Comment

                              • hostile
                                lollygagger
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 5736

                                #75
                                Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                                Ringo doesn't count.
                                What about Clarence, the 5th Beatle?
                                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                                "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                                Comment

                                Working...