X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That club has a great acronym...

EDIT:
    They should invite these guys, too!
    Last edited by lambdacoug; 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• This is interesting:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-faith/517785/

As we all know, Americans are moving away from organized religion and becoming more secular, especially millennials. What are the consequences of this? Interestingly, it has helped fuel the alt-right movement.

the percentage of white Republicans with no religious affiliation has nearly tripled since 1990. This shift helped Trump win the GOP nomination. During the campaign, commentators had a hard time reconciling Trump’s apparent ignorance of Christianity and his history of pro-choice and pro-gay-rights statements with his support from evangelicals. But as Notre Dame’s Geoffrey Layman noted, “Trump does best among evangelicals with one key trait: They don’t really go to church.” A Pew Research Center poll last March found that Trump trailed Ted Cruz by 15 points among Republicans who attended religious services every week. But he led Cruz by a whopping 27 points among those who did not.
      Why?

This one is going to give SeattleUte some cognitive dissonance:

Establishing causation is difficult, but we know that culturally conservative white Americans who are disengaged from church experience less economic success and more family breakdown than those who remain connected, and they grow more pessimistic and resentful. Since the early 1970s, according to W. Bradford Wilcox, a sociologist at the University of Virginia, rates of religious attendance have fallen more than twice as much among whites without a college degree as among those who graduated college.
      Also:

When conservatives disengage from organized religion, however, they don’t become more tolerant. They become intolerant in different ways. Research shows that evangelicals who don’t regularly attend church are less hostile to gay people than those who do. But they’re more hostile to African Americans, Latinos, and Muslims.
      Yikes.

You ex-mos need to get back to church, pronto.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        This is interesting:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-faith/517785/

As we all know, Americans are moving away from organized religion and becoming more secular, especially millennials. What are the consequences of this? Interestingly, it has helped fuel the alt-right movement.

Why?

This one is going to give SeattleUte some cognitive dissonance:

Also:

Yikes.

Hrmm... not going to church doesn't have a lot to do with atheism besides not wasting time in church.
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

This is interesting:

Yikes.

Oh sure. Like I'm going to fall for the obvious hoax of the 'academic':

Establishing causation is difficult, but we know that culturally conservative white Americans who are disengaged from church experience less economic success and more family breakdown than those who remain connected, and they grow more pessimistic and resentful. Since the early 1970s, according to W. Bradford Wilcox, a sociologist at the University of Virginia, rates of religious attendance have fallen more than twice as much among whites without a college degree as among those who graduated college.
          Nice try, church. Next time get more creative with the name of your 'academic'!
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

I respectfully decline your invitation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              I respectfully decline your invitation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
              Racist.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Oh sure. Like I'm going to fall for the obvious hoax of the 'academic':

Nice try, church. Next time get more creative with the name of your 'academic'!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Seriously, I had to look it up several years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Racist.
                    I do hate white Christian males, you know the group that is the most discriminated against in our modern times.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Dozens rally against Mormon church doctrines at mass resignation event

Mike Norton — who is known as NewNameNoah and has posted online recordings of LDS temple ceremonies taken with hidden cameras — also objects to the policy. He said the church recently “doubled down” on the issue with a court brief supporting a Colorado bakery shop owner who refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Looking at the "crowd" pictures, I'm not sure they have a single dozen, much less "dozens."
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• The notion of not being rude and encroaching on what other people find edifying and enjoyable has given way to these peoples' narcissism. I can't comprehend getting up and lecturing people in Sacrament Meeting about the fact you like dudes and how there is anal, oral and sex involving butt plugs and dildos that the poor rubes out in the audience can scarcely imagine.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            The notion of not being rude and encroaching on what other people find edifying and enjoyable has given way to these peoples' narcissism. I can't comprehend getting up and lecturing people in Sacrament Meeting about the fact you like dudes and how there is anal, oral and sex involving butt plugs and dildos that the poor rubes out in the audience can scarcely imagine.
                            There were a couple of sign-holders standing on the sidewalk outside the temple open house last week. It was raining all day with the temps in the 40s, so the poor SOBs were freezing and soaking wet. Standing around outside holding a sign all day sounds miserable in really nice weather; I can't imagine what a miserable cretin you would have to be to do it in that weather.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Yesterday, there was a coordinated effort to send pizzas to about 50 LGBTQ (who are LDS or have a background with the LDS church) as it was the 2-year anniversary of the policy. It was a nice outreach.

I don't understand these types of protests. The church isn't changing by having ex-Mormons protesting policies or mass resignation events. It isn't worth the effort. It is worth the effort though to show love to those that were affected by the policy.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                Yesterday, there was a coordinated effort to send pizzas to about 50 LGBTQ (who are LDS or have a background with the LDS church) as it was the 2-year anniversary of the policy. It was a nice outreach.
                                Er, what? Lol!
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X