Temple question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #1

    Temple question

    My mother works at the Rexburg temple and was telling me they have a lot of girls come up and do BFTD because they are not endowed yet but not many guys because they go through a session. Why must it be a male doing work for a male and a female for a female? Since it is proxy work why does matching genders matter?
  • Maximus
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 6023

    #2
    Because different things are said depending on the gender.

    Comment

    • taekwondave
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 1160

      #3
      Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      Because different things are said depending on the gender.
      Bingo.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #4
        Rcv just wants in to the women's locker room
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • Sullyute
          a day late/a dollar short
          • Jul 2010
          • 3308

          #5
          Well if you think back to just a few years ago about how things were done in the washing and annoitings. Do you want some creepy old guy touching your daughter? I can understand why they want to keep the genders seperate for the ordinances.

          Also it might give woman too many ideas if they were allowed to sit in proxy for a deceased male receiving the priesthood (summon rosebud).
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

          Comment

          • taekwondave
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 1160

            #6
            Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            Well if you think back to just a few years ago about how things were done in the washing and annoitings. Do you want some creepy old guy touching your daughter? I can understand why they want to keep the genders seperate for the ordinances.

            Also it might give woman too many ideas if they were allowed to sit in proxy for a deceased male receiving the priesthood (summon rosebud).
            Oh yeah! (Sorry, I was looking for an appropriate emoticon to express how I felt about your post and I came across this one and forgot what I was doing. Family Guy flashback.)

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37987

              #7
              Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
              Oh yeah! (Sorry, I was looking for an appropriate emoticon to express how I felt about your post and I came across this one and forgot what I was doing. Family Guy flashback.)
              Does your fiancee know you watch Family Guy and dream of getting drunk? I might have to make the trip to Utah for your reception.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Joe Public
                8.1 YPC
                • Apr 2011
                • 8530

                #8
                I read RCV's post as asking specifically about baptisms for the dead. If that is so, then the subsequent comments don't seem to apply. The words for the ordinance are the same regardless of gender, and a man performs the baptism whether the proxy is a man or a woman. Maybe I misunderstood the intent of the original post.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                Comment

                • Sullyute
                  a day late/a dollar short
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3308

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  I read RCV's post as asking specifically about baptisms for the dead. If that is so, then the subsequent comments don't seem to apply. The words for the ordinance are the same regardless of gender, and a man performs the baptism whether the proxy is a man or a woman. Maybe I misunderstood the intent of the original post.
                  I think that my original comments still apply. I don't think the actual words of the ordinance are the issue, the issue, in my eyes, is that if you allow females to be baptized as proxy for males, then why stop with baptisim? Why not allow females to do proxy for males in all ordinances, and vice versa? Also how do you think it would look for two guys or two girls acting as proxy for sealing of couples? That is just a slippery slope the Church doesn't want to go down.

                  On a side note: If you have a bunch of attractive college co-eds getting soaking wet while wearing whtie clothing, and you can get guys to participate, then maybe there is a bigger issue going on.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                  Comment

                  • grapevine
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 1992

                    #10
                    I remember thinking just before I received my mission call doing baptisms that this was the last time I would do proxy for baptisms in the temple. I was wrong though. I have been proxy several times for baptisms since being endowed. Thing is there needs to be enough men to go through for baptisms.

                    I have invited men and women to go to the temple in IF before and if it was just rms all we could do was be the workers. Occasionally someone not yet on mission would get recomment to come. But good idea to make sure when college kids do baptisms there is enough men for proxy as well.

                    Comment

                    • The Rambam
                      Wandering Rambam
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 394

                      #11
                      Transgender Proxy Ordinances

                      According to Susan Easton Black (author of the Annotated Records of Baptisms for the Dead, Nauvoo) the very first baptism for the dead in this dispensation was a woman being baptized for her deceased father.

                      At the funeral of Seymour Brunson in August of 1840, where Joseph introduced the doctrine for the first time, a recent convert and recent arrival to Nauvoo was moved and touched. Her father had recently died and had wanted to join his daughter and be baptized into the Chruch, but health and his death prevented it. She grabbed a priesthood holder and marched down to the river and was baptized for her departed father.

                      I have forgotten the name of the man and his daughter, but ask Mrs. Black when she next crosses your path and she'll tell you.

                      There is no doctrinal problem with transgender proxy ordinances for the dead. It is a correlated cultural phobia, pure and simple. Like our aversion to women praying in conference or wearing anything other than a white shirt.
                      A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

                      Comment

                      • RobinFinderson
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10548

                        #12
                        Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
                        According to Susan Easton Black (author of the Annotated Records of Baptisms for the Dead, Nauvoo) the very first baptism for the dead in this dispensation was a woman being baptized for her deceased father.

                        At the funeral of Seymour Brunson in August of 1840, where Joseph introduced the doctrine for the first time, a recent convert and recent arrival to Nauvoo was moved and touched. Her father had recently died and had wanted to join his daughter and be baptized into the Chruch, but health and his death prevented it. She grabbed a priesthood holder and marched down to the river and was baptized for her departed father.

                        I have forgotten the name of the man and his daughter, but ask Mrs. Black when she next crosses your path and she'll tell you.

                        There is no doctrinal problem with transgender proxy ordinances for the dead. It is a correlated cultural phobia, pure and simple. Like our aversion to women praying in conference or wearing anything other than a white shirt.
                        Welcome! Please kick up your feet and make yourself comfortable. You have been missed.

                        Comment

                        • pellegrino
                          miserere me
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 12100

                          #13
                          Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
                          According to Susan Easton Black (author of the Annotated Records of Baptisms for the Dead, Nauvoo) the very first baptism for the dead in this dispensation was a woman being baptized for her deceased father.

                          At the funeral of Seymour Brunson in August of 1840, where Joseph introduced the doctrine for the first time, a recent convert and recent arrival to Nauvoo was moved and touched. Her father had recently died and had wanted to join his daughter and be baptized into the Chruch, but health and his death prevented it. She grabbed a priesthood holder and marched down to the river and was baptized for her departed father.

                          I have forgotten the name of the man and his daughter, but ask Mrs. Black when she next crosses your path and she'll tell you.

                          There is no doctrinal problem with transgender proxy ordinances for the dead. It is a correlated cultural phobia, pure and simple. Like our aversion to women praying in conference or wearing anything other than a white shirt.
                          not a bad return post.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

                          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                          pelagius

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            A fellow Maimonides fan, I see.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #15
                              Good to see you back Rambam! Don't be a stranger.

                              Comment

                              Working...