General Conference Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solon View Post
    I sense great hunger for "something new" among active LDS, perhaps not necessarily for new "data" or "facts," but for spiritual clarity, specific prophecy and counsel, informed exegesis of doctrines both official and unofficial.

I don't find it unreasonable (esp. in this, the information age) to expect/hope for something more than generalized platitudes from men who claim to be, and who are sustained as Prophets, Seers, Revelators. Especially since correlation has repeatedly emphasized that these men are the only ones authorized to provide such things to the world at large.

This is a world stage. The entire membership of the LDS church is watching/listening (except for DDD and a few other elect souls). It's not a platform to be lightly dismissed with sanitized and sterilized remarks. It's a platform for leadership, vision, prophecy, guidance, chastisement, and a boatload of other stuff. It's a chance for these Prophets to speak to the world as God would speak to the world.

But hey, if people are getting out of General Conference what they need, I'm the last one to cast aspersions. Great for them.

I prefer to seek my inspiration elsewhere, though.
    I think such a church would be highly unstable. (Not that instability is a bad thing.)

Comment

Prediction: Samuelson will shortly be released as BYU President and enter emeritus status as he's turning 70, and that is the (unwritten?) rule under President Monson. But do they announce BYU Pres change at conference? Maybe not.

Re: Uchdorf. Some friends of mine last night insisted that Uchdorf's talks are of the highest literary quality, at lease compared to the rest of the talks. One was sure that he must have a ghost writer (this was not intended as a derogatory comment). I hadn't noticed this before. Maybe I'll pay a little attention this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        Prediction: Samuelson will shortly be released as BYU President and enter emeritus status as he's turning 70, and that is the (unwritten?) rule under President Monson. But do they announce BYU Pres change at conference? Maybe not.

Re: Uchdorf. Some friends of mine last night insisted that Uchdorf's talks are of the highest literary quality, at lease compared to the rest of the talks. One was sure that he must have a ghost writer (this was not intended as a derogatory comment). I hadn't noticed this before. Maybe I'll pay a little attention this weekend.
        Is this common? I know the story about Benson's Pride talk being written by his daughter or daughter-in-law, but it would be fascinating to know if there were multiple talks each conference written by someone other than the person giving the talk.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
          Is this common? I know the story about Benson's Pride talk being written by his daughter or daughter-in-law, but it would be fascinating to know if there were multiple talks each conference written by someone other than the person giving the talk.
          I was always under the impression that they all wrote there own. So, it would be uncommon. But for a non-native speaker of English? A lot of editing help, at a minimum. Although Elder Scott typically does his own spanish translations, I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Interesting thread.
            Ha! Hardly.

The same coterie making the same conference complaints, with the same insistence about not watching it, and then someone has the gall to whine that there's nothing NEW? Oh, the irony.

One giant faithless echo chamber. Heh.
            Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

- Cali Coug

I always wanted to wear a tiara.
            We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

- Jeff Lebowski

Comment

I was always under the impression that they all wrote there own. So, it would be uncommon. But for a non-native speaker of English? A lot of editing help, at a minimum. Although Elder Scott typically does his own spanish translations, I've heard.
              Aslo wonder if there is some type of correlation committee that reviews the content for "soundness" and makes sure that there is not any wording or phrases that are culturally insensitive. I can't imagine "they" let BKP "shoot from the hip".
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                Aslo wonder if there is some type of correlation committee that reviews the content for "soundness" and makes sure that there is not any wording or phrases that are culturally insensitive. I can't imagine "they" let BKP "shoot from the hip".
                They exchange written talks with each other for editing. I don't know if there is now a new BKP correlation review rule, but I doubt it. Of course, I was never much concerned about what he said. More offended that they later edited it.

Comment

How is C.S. Lewis Benson's daughter-in-law?
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

They exchange written talks with each other for editing. I don't know if there is now a new BKP correlation review rule, but I doubt it. Of course, I was never much concerned about what he said. More offended that they later edited it.
                    I've heard that at least for the Seventies they have to turn in their talks way in advance so that it can be reviewed (correlated) for sitation and proofing (and translation). I don't know if the twelve just edit each others as you said or if they also go through the correlation dept too.

I agree with the bolded comment above, Packer can say what he wants, but don't change it afterwards. He had six months to get his phrasing right, then decides after the talk that he wants to change it? In my opinion, I don't think the changes were his decision, despite what the PR dept says.

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    How is C.S. Lewis Benson's daughter-in-law?
                    Touche'

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Interesting thread.

My wife insists that we all watch all sessions, but I often have urgent things to do on Saturdays (as is the case tomorrow) or I do some work on my laptop while listening. Or I get a nice nap. No way I can sit through that many hours of talks.

Priesthood session is an exception. I always go with my boys and we go to dinner afterward. It is a tradition that they seem to enjoy and look forward to.

I go into GC with fairly low expectations, but occasionally there are talks that uplift and inspire me to be a better person. Speaking of which, you may want to check out Pres. Uchtdorf's talk from last week's RS meeting. My wife had us watch it for FHE this week and it is very good. Anyway, it resonated with our family.
                      My wife said the same thing. And she typically doesn't get a lot out of general conference. He seems to resonate with a lot of members. I'll have to read it.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

This is the first time I've heard this. Do you know where I could look to read more about it?
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          My wife said the same thing. And she typically doesn't get a lot out of general conference. He seems to resonate with a lot of members. I'll have to read it.
                          I think Uchtdorf resonates with lots of female members.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            This is the first time I've heard this. Do you know where I could look to read more about it?
                            I actually think that I heard about it here on CUF first. But a quick google search found this... It comes from ex-mormon.org so take it for what it is worth.

They also go into the whole plagerization of C.S. Lewis that SIEQ mentioned above.

Some years ago, my wife, Mary Ann, and I visited with May Benson, wife of Reed Benson (ETB's oldest child), in their home in Provo, Utah, during which time the subject of ETB's sermon on pride was a focus of conversation.

The first occasion was prior to the public delivery of ETB's sermon by Gordon B. Hinckley in the April 1989 General Conference and the second visit came after the speech.

May told us she had very strong feelings about the subject of pride. She was especially offended and concerned with what she regarded as the Benson family's own problems with pride.

(In fact, she had gotten up in disgust and walked out of a wedding breakfast for my sister, when one of the daughters of ETB, while listening to the father of the groom make some remarks to the assembled, leaned over and whispered self-righteously, "Well, we know which family was blessed with the spirituality").

May told us she had put together quite a few thoughts on the subject of pride that she hoped someday to compile and publish in a book.

However, after ETB's pride sermon was delivered, May told us that she no longer felt it necessary to publish her hoped-for book. Why? Because, she informed us, her husband, Reed, had spoken with ETB about her research on the topic.

May was clearly indicating to us that her information and study efforts had been used in ETB's sermon on pride.

Who actually wrote ETB's pride sermon is also a matter of some interest.

I have since been informed by a reliable source that May herself reportedly might have worked on the sermon.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I think Uchtdorf resonates with lots of female members.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                                And probably a portion of male members to be honest.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X