Joseph Smith, Heartthrob

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Joseph Smith, Heartthrob

    We had a combined meeting today to introduce us to the mormon.org webpage. My wife remarked that this image of Joseph Smith showed him as being really good looking, a heartthrob:



    While not quite as misleading as this:



    I still bristle at what PR/marketing people will do with something to make it have mass appeal.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #2
    That Martin Harris is a regular Justin Beiber!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15680

      #3
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      That Martin Harris is a regular Justin Beiber!
      Oliver Cowdery doesn't look so bad himself.

      (Charles Francis Adams' wife told her husband that Joseph was a good looking guy, if I recall correctly.)
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • Solon
        Lost in the flood
        • Nov 2008
        • 5747

        #4
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Oliver Cowdery doesn't look so bad himself.

        (Charles Francis Adams' wife told her husband that Joseph was a good looking guy, if I recall correctly.)
        I think I've shared this before, but bear with me:

        In PA, I had a friend who was a descendant of Joseph Smith. He really did look like Joseph Smith - sharp, beakish nose, smallish chin, widow's-peak hairline, etc. - except that my friend was about 85 lbs. overweight.

        He asked me for a picture of Joseph Smith, so I brought him one from the local LDS church. My friend took one look at the stylized, handsome hunk and said, "Yep. That sure does look like me." (without a hint of irony)

        Also something I've posted before somewhere, but still cool enough to repost: http://www.photographfound.com/
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

        Comment

        • Katy Lied
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 9435

          #5
          Originally posted by Solon View Post
          I think I've shared this before, but bear with me:

          In PA, I had a friend who was a descendant of Joseph Smith. He really did look like Joseph Smith - sharp, beakish nose, smallish chin, widow's-peak hairline, etc. - except that my friend was about 85 lbs. overweight.

          He asked me for a picture of Joseph Smith, so I brought him one from the local LDS church. My friend took one look at the stylized, handsome hunk and said, "Yep. That sure does look like me." (without a hint of irony)

          Also something I've posted before somewhere, but still cool enough to repost: http://www.photographfound.com/
          Hey were you at the Texas game? I could have sworn the camera panned you. (At least, someone who looks like your photo)
          Last edited by Katy Lied; 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM. Reason: or mebbe it was Pellegreeeno

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69747

            #6
            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Hey were you at the Texas game? I could have sworn the camera panned you. (At least, someone who looks like your photo)
            During halftime at the BYU-Texas game I ran into a guy in Utah Gear (Jacket, Hat). I was surprised that he wasn't home watching the Utah-USC game.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • TheBYUGuy
              Friend of Rodin
              • Sep 2009
              • 1442

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              During halftime at the BYU-Texas game I ran into a guy in Utah Gear (Jacket, Hat). I was surprised that he wasn't home watching the Utah-USC game.
              There was a guy wearing a Utah shirt sitting near us at the Ole Miss game.

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #8
                I'm sure he was a heartthrob.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69747

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                  There was a guy wearing a Utah shirt sitting near us at the Ole Miss game.


                  Maybe they are trying to make their kids fans of the local teams because they aren't allowed to have televisions at home.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #10
                    Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                    There was a guy wearing a Utah shirt sitting near us at the Ole Miss game.
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    During halftime at the BYU-Texas game I ran into a guy in Utah Gear (Jacket, Hat). I was surprised that he wasn't home watching the Utah-USC game.
                    That was probably SC's FiL. He showed up at the Tulsa game festooned in his Utah gear.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      True story. We encountered a very loyal Ute on our trip to Austin. We were at dinner on Friday night and as our party was entering the restaurant, a guy wearing a Ute hat was walking out. Someone in our party chided him, telling him to take off that hat.

                      This man simply kept walking at his measured pace, never missing a beat nor looking us in the eye, but letting us know in no uncertain terms, "Never. Never." He disappeared quickly thereafter and none of us got his name.

                      It actually was inspiring.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Solon
                        Lost in the flood
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5747

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        True story. We encountered a very loyal Ute on our trip to Austin. We were at dinner on Friday night and as our party was entering the restaurant, a guy wearing a Ute hat was walking out. Someone in our party chided him, telling him to take off that hat.

                        This man simply kept walking at his measured pace, never missing a beat nor looking us in the eye, but letting us know in no uncertain terms, "Never. Never." He disappeared quickly thereafter and none of us got his name.

                        It actually was inspiring.
                        C'mon, 3D. Fess up. You were going to jump him, but were dissuaded by the three 7-foot-tall tough guys walking next to and behind him. They were dressed in Native American clothing, and nobody else seemed to see them.
                        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                        Comment

                        • Babs
                          Not a Lawyer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 17128

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                          Maybe they are trying to make their kids fans of the local teams because they aren't allowed to have televisions at home.
                          I sure hope they had seats in the shade! Kids can be so delicate, you know.

                          Comment

                          Working...