Shocking divorce in my recently-former ward

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoCalCoug
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
    • Nov 2008
    • 5214

    #1

    Shocking divorce in my recently-former ward

    My in-laws are in the ward we just moved away from, and they told us about a recent separation (and soon-to-be divorce) in our ward (I'm hoping somehow I get the wife's case).

    Husband was (until recently) a young high councilman. He was a former Elder's Quorum President, and one of the stalwarts in the ward. Wife was Young Women's President, and extremely well-liked in the ward. They have four girls, ages 18 down to 4.

    Husband is a high-ranking guy in a large computer company, and travels back and forth between OC and Sacramento (or somewhere up there) on a weekly basis (week-on, week-off).

    Recently, while up north, he sent his wife a letter saying he's not coming back, that he's done with the marriage, that he's buying a home for himself up north, that he doesn't want contact with the children, and that he never had any feelings for the youngest child.

    I honestly don't know how someone can get to that point so seemingly suddenly. He was only released as a high counselor after he sent the letter.

    And by a letter? I never even considered breaking up a dating relationship without a face-to-face conversation.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn
  • landpoke
    Never once baby snatched
    • Nov 2008
    • 4183

    #2
    Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    And by a letter? I never even considered breaking up a dating relationship without a face-to-face conversation.
    It's a lot cleaner, no hysterics etc. And if you're half a state away it's even better because there's little chance you'd meet unexpectedly and have to deal with some chick sobbing uncontrollably that they can't get over you. I hate that.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
    …
    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

    Comment

    • landpoke
      Never once baby snatched
      • Nov 2008
      • 4183

      #3
      That is pretty cold what he said about his youngest though.
      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

      Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

      Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
      …
      Tomorrow is Saturday
      And Sunday comes afterwards

      Comment

      • FN Phat
        I ♥ gateway sex
        • Feb 2009
        • 8691

        #4
        Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
        I honestly don't know how someone can get to that point so seemingly suddenly.
        My guess is that has not been so sudden, at least on his end of things.
        I'm your huckleberry.


        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

        Comment

        • RC Vikings
          Known Heterosexual
          • Nov 2008
          • 8789

          #5
          He's either gay or doing someone up north or both. If he's straight odds are he's going to regret what he has done in about three to five years

          Comment

          • SoCalCoug
            Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
            • Nov 2008
            • 5214

            #6
            We think he's got someone up north. He's been dividing his time between the two locations for several years.
            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

            "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

            "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69689

              #7
              Very similar to what happened in our ward last summer. Former bishop.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #8
                Letter break up > text break up.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • SoCalCoug
                  Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5214

                  #9
                  Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  He's either gay or doing someone up north or both. If he's straight odds are he's going to regret what he has done in about three to five years
                  The thing that's really crazy about this whole thing is that he's always contributed good insight to sunday school and priesthood lessons, he's been on the high council - so essentially he's got the entire stake snowed. You'd like to think someone as insincere as that would be discovered. It's not like he messed up and simply had an affair - his letter suggests strongly that there's a fundamental dissonance between the church's teachings and his personal values.

                  What is most disconcerting is that in a church where the leaders are supposed to have particular, spirit-driven discernment, someone like that is put so readily into leadership positions.
                  If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                  "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                  "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                  Comment

                  • UtahDan
                    *
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14496

                    #10
                    Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                    I honestly don't know how someone can get to that point so seemingly suddenly. He was only released as a high counselor after he sent the letter.
                    You don't get to that point suddenly. He has been thinking about this for a long, long time. He is also harboring some remarkable hostility as well, IMO, to do it in such a cold fashion.

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #11
                      His wife was probably very frigid.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • SoCalCoug
                        Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5214

                        #12
                        This situation just brings to mind other men in leadership positions who I've had the chance to witness in some fashion (often second-hand, but trustworthy to me) in other contexts.

                        It seems that the church leadership structure favors men with successful business or p.r. skills or who have a certain personality type, rather than people who are truly Christ-like in their hearts. And then members view the leaders through a lens of personal worthiness, assuming that the more "worthy" (in the spiritual sense) are the ones in charge.
                        If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                        "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                        "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                          This situation just brings to mind other men in leadership positions who I've had the chance to witness in some fashion (often second-hand, but trustworthy to me) in other contexts.

                          It seems that the church leadership structure favors men with successful business or p.r. skills or who have a certain personality type, rather than people who are truly Christ-like in their hearts. And then members view the leaders through a lens of personal worthiness, assuming that the more "worthy" (in the spiritual sense) are the ones in charge.
                          Very well said. I don't fault the church for putting successful business/PR/Type A personalities in leadership positions; for a lot of reasons, this makes sense. I fault the membership for putting them on some sort of spiritual pedestal.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                            This situation just brings to mind other men in leadership positions who I've had the chance to witness in some fashion (often second-hand, but trustworthy to me) in other contexts.

                            It seems that the church leadership structure favors men with successful business or p.r. skills or who have a certain personality type, rather than people who are truly Christ-like in their hearts. And then members view the leaders through a lens of personal worthiness, assuming that the more "worthy" (in the spiritual sense) are the ones in charge.
                            One thing I have now been around long enough to know is that the neither the priesthood, nor the spirit, nor inspiration and maybe not even revelation are dependent upon the worthiness of the conduit. There are examples aplenty of men who are the greatest teachers, could fill a room with the spirit, exercise discernment, inspire, bless, preach, heal, and do it all carrying around a very heavy burden of sin.

                            I keep seeing it happen. I just don't any longer believe that the vessel must be pure for others to benefit. It really does not seem to matter.

                            Comment

                            • Clark Addison
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10306

                              #15
                              Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                              My in-laws are in the ward we just moved away from, and they told us about a recent separation (and soon-to-be divorce) in our ward (I'm hoping somehow I get the wife's case).

                              Husband was (until recently) a young high councilman. He was a former Elder's Quorum President, and one of the stalwarts in the ward. Wife was Young Women's President, and extremely well-liked in the ward. They have four girls, ages 18 down to 4.

                              Husband is a high-ranking guy in a large computer company, and travels back and forth between OC and Sacramento (or somewhere up there) on a weekly basis (week-on, week-off).

                              Recently, while up north, he sent his wife a letter saying he's not coming back, that he's done with the marriage, that he's buying a home for himself up north, that he doesn't want contact with the children, and that he never had any feelings for the youngest child.

                              I honestly don't know how someone can get to that point so seemingly suddenly. He was only released as a high counselor after he sent the letter.

                              And by a letter? I never even considered breaking up a dating relationship without a face-to-face conversation.
                              I hope that the wife, in trying to get back at this truly awful behavior, never tells the youngest daughter what he said (though the fact that it is puclic knowledge makes me doubt that she will be able to withhold it). Maybe it is just because I have a 4 year old daughter, but that part hit me hard.

                              And count me with the people who say this wasn't sudden. I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't have someone up in Sacramento.

                              Comment

                              Working...