Sidling up to difference.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #1

    Sidling up to difference.

    Of course it is not perfect, and yes it can be improved. But I have found that this group does a better job of discussing its differences on religion than anywhere else on the web I have been. I'm not claiming we are the best, just the best I have encountered.

    Why? I was listening to a podcast of On Being where they interviewed the Ghanaian-British-American philosopher Kwame Anthony Appiah as part of their Civil Conversations Project. He argues that the best way for people to bridge large gulfs in politics, philosophy and religion is not to confront them directly. Rather, we understand the other better by engaging them on things like soccer, or similar musical tastes, etc. He calls it "sidling up" to difference. As he says, "not facing Islam, but facing Layla and Ahmed and Mohammed."

    Is that what we do here? Do we sidle up to difference? Is, ironically, the best place to talk religion on a sports message board? This is well worth the listen:

  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    You should start an Official UD Recommended Podcasts thread.

    Comment

    • statman
      Rabblerouser
      • Aug 2009
      • 2799

      #3
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post

      Only when we dosen't have tic-tacs in our pocketses...

      Comment

      • Sleeping in EQ
        Philosopher of Men
        • Nov 2008
        • 4188

        #4
        The "sidling up" idea has been going around for a few years now. I first ran into it through Henry Jenkins.

        I think the idea works, for the most part.
        Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-18-2011, 05:51 AM.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

        Comment

        Working...