Washington Post: Five myths about Mormonsim

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #91
    Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Lucky. What ward do you attend? Maybe we should come over some Sunday.

    (The "White Shirts and Right Hand" line is a placeholder for any number of inconsequential possible topics.)
    You know, partly because of what I read on CUF, I do feel lucky. I'm in Sandy. Come any time, but leave your damn ute tie at home.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • NorthwestUteFan
      אלוף
      • Oct 2010
      • 3384

      #92
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      You know, partly because of what I read on CUF, I do feel lucky. I'm in Sandy. Come any time, but leave your damn ute tie at home.
      For some reason I thought you lived here in Washington. The church is significantly different outside of Utah, even in a strongly lds state like Washington. We make do with the resources available to us, and realize we don't have the luxury of having fifteen different men who could be Elders Quorum president of hpgl, and we don't have seven potential Bishops at all times.

      On the other hand we also do not have a local media apparatus constantly blowing sunshine up our skirts about the wonders of byu football so we are genuinely happy to see sports-related ties of any stripe. Even if we don't like the team represented by the tie we are simply grateful to see one more warm body at church.

      Comment

      • myboynoah
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 21719

        #93
        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        I can see why you would think that. But being in that class, it was clear that he was leading the conversation to the point where that conclusion would come out.

        This really isn't a big deal for me. People can believe what they want. But it's clear that many prophets and apostles thought it was a big enough deal to explicitly state how it happened.
        Why am I never in any of these classes? If I am so blessed someday, I will point out that the Word of God states that Jesus was born of a virgin. That seems pretty clear. Until the speculations of well-meaning frontier prophets and apostles on this particular topic are cannonized, I don't see the point.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #94
          Originally posted by scottie View Post
          I think we can point to having to fill 3 hours every single week with content (teachers and students trying to make things interesting, sacrament mtg speaking, F&T mtg, leaders trying to give counsel in interviews, etc.) as a big/biggest cause.
          As my friend ER has pointed out, one good thing about correlation is that it tends to reduce such forays into the weeds.

          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #95
            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Until the speculations of well-meaning frontier prophets and apostles on this particular topic are cannonized, I don't see the point.
            Interesting line of demarcation. Do you apply this rationale to all topics or do you pick and choose the statements and the prophets you want to believe?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #96
              Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
              For some reason I thought you lived here in Washington. The church is significantly different outside of Utah, even in a strongly lds state like Washington. We make do with the resources available to us, and realize we don't have the luxury of having fifteen different men who could be Elders Quorum president of hpgl, and we don't have seven potential Bishops at all times.

              On the other hand we also do not have a local media apparatus constantly blowing sunshine up our skirts about the wonders of byu football so we are genuinely happy to see sports-related ties of any stripe. Even if we don't like the team represented by the tie we are simply grateful to see one more warm body at church.
              I used to live in the Seattle area, perhaps that is the reason you thought I lived there. Also, perhaps I misunderstood the tone of your post, but fwiw, the tie comment was a joke. Apparently not the funny kind, but a joke nonetheless.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • Sleeping in EQ
                Philosopher of Men
                • Nov 2008
                • 4188

                #97
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Well singles institute online doesn't do much to help them get hitched.

                I don't necessarily disagree with your argument and certainly not your frustration here, but I do disagree with this generalization:



                I don't think that is true, at least not for a majority of members. This group you describe is represented here in the Foyer and elsewhere on the internets, but I don't think it's pervasive. Lots of people go to Church to worship and to associate with family and friends. They want questions they can answer. They don't want to be challenged. They want to feel good. They love rhetorical questions because it makes them feel as though they're being introspective with their spirituality and relationship with God. They love questions that require the simpleton answers because they can give them. I think most members are content with this and don't care to know anything more.
                Somehow I missed your response, Surfah. I'll say a couple of things about it, though.

                Your comment about online institute not helping singles get hitched seems to have been in jest, but the research on online dating/socializing says that it is almost as reliable a way of meeting one's longtime partner or spouse as living near someone was in the 1920s. Living near someone is incredibly ineffective today compared to the past (today, less than 3% of people marry someone who lives nearby, while in the 1920s around 15% of people did so).

                As to your second comment, I think you are missing the point. Correlated comfort is becoming spiritual stagnation for more and more Church members, and even if they don't realize it. Long term, in order to be spiritually nourished, people need more of what I'm talking about and less correlated "material."
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #98
                  Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  Somehow I missed your response, Surfah. I'll say a couple of things about it, though.

                  Your comment about online institute not helping singles get hitched seems to have been in jest, but the research on online dating/socializing says that it is almost as reliable a way of meeting one's longtime partner or spouse as living near someone was in the 1920s. Living near someone is incredibly ineffective today compared to the past (today, less than 3% of people marry someone who lives nearby, while in the 1920s around 15% of people did so).

                  As to your second comment, I think you are missing the point. Correlated comfort is becoming spiritual stagnation for more and more Church members, and even if they don't realize it. Long term, in order to be spiritually nourished, people need more of what I'm talking about and less correlated "material."
                  It was in jest, but I still don't understand how an online institute class will help in that regard. It's been awhile since I have taken an online course in anything, but none of them gave me opportunities to meet or even correspond with classmates aside from maybe posting on Blackboard. Are you proposing some sort of curriculum mashed up with LDSsingles.com?

                  As to the second comment, I don't understand how the material you want spiritually nourishes any of us. I can buy that just having the discussion might satiate some needs, but I am not sure that it will provide any answers and spiritual fulfillment.

                  Take the topic of polygamy for example which sparked this thread. How would you teach that in an uncorrelated lesson? What conclusions do you arrive at the end of that lesson? That polygamy was and is ordained of God? That polygamy was nothing more than a way for horny men to satisfy carnal appetites under the guise of revelation? As Niku pointed out earlier he can't say either way because we don't know. I don't know. Nobody knows. So my question is where is the spiritual meat in that kind of lesson? Faith? We don't know so just have faith? I just don't think anyone dissatisfied with currently correlated material will be spiritually full by being told I don't know over and over again.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #99
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Interesting line of demarcation. Do you apply this rationale to all topics or do you pick and choose the statements and the prophets you want to believe?
                    Like everyone else, I pick and choose the topics upon which I think discussion time would be well spent during the Sunday block of meetings. I don't see the point of trying to establish that God had sex with Mary. To me, Mormon scriptural canon is clear that she was virgin.

                    I would, however, be interested in the reasons these frontier prophets and apostles stepped into this and other similar types of speculative musings. But that doesn't sound like a topic for Sundays.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • Pheidippides
                      Liberal Feminazi
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14759

                      #100
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      Interesting line of demarcation. Do you apply this rationale to all topics or do you pick and choose the statements and the prophets you want to believe?
                      I don't know if he does but I do. I don't see any way around that.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69687

                        #101
                        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        I don't know if he does but I do. I don't see any way around that.
                        We are all cafeteria mormons at some level.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #102
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          We are all cafeteria mormons at some level.
                          Agreed. And I'd argue this extends to most religious people regardless of affiliation.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • NorthwestUteFan
                            אלוף
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 3384

                            #103
                            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            I used to live in the Seattle area, perhaps that is the reason you thought I lived there.
                            OK that makes sense.

                            Originally posted by smokymountainrain
                            Also, perhaps I misunderstood the tone of your post, but fwiw, the tie comment was a joke. Apparently not the funny kind, but a joke nonetheless.
                            Comments about the makeup of wards outside of Utah compared with those inside Utah is accurate in most cases. My reference to the tie was mostly TIC, I was just busting your chops. And the SLC media comment was precise.

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #104
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              I don't know if he does but I do. I don't see any way around that.
                              I agree. "When is a prophet/apostle speaking as a prophet, seer or revelator?" must be one of the oldest and most enduring questions in Mormonism. That isn't going to change.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • Sullyute
                                a day late/a dollar short
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 3308

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                Take the topic of polygamy for example which sparked this thread. How would you teach that in an uncorrelated lesson? What conclusions do you arrive at the end of that lesson? That polygamy was and is ordained of God? That polygamy was nothing more than a way for horny men to satisfy carnal appetites under the guise of revelation? As Niku pointed out earlier he can't say either way because we don't know. I don't know. Nobody knows. So my question is where is the spiritual meat in that kind of lesson? Faith? We don't know so just have faith? I just don't think anyone dissatisfied with currently correlated material will be spiritually full by being told I don't know over and over again.
                                Not to jump into the middle of your conversation with SIEQ, but realistically isn't everything about religion based on faith. Technically we really don't know, but exercise faith. Unless you have personally seen the resurrected Lord then you are just exercising faith that he exists and did the things written in the scriptures. Outside of Paul and his vision do we have any eye witness accounts of Jesus? We don't have any proof that Jude, James, John, Peter, Matthew etc actually wrote the books attributed to them.

                                Also why does it have to be uncorrelated? Why can't the church write an honest, but faithful (I am sure that is an oxymoron for some), course on some of these issues?

                                I agree with you that these type of classes may not be spiritually uplifting for some, but the same thing can be said about the current church curriculum. I agree with The Dude in his post above that we are all cafeteria mormons on one level or another because almost everything in religion comes down to "I don't know but I still believe". Ultimately we are all responsible for our own spirituality and faith no matter what is taught from the pulpit.
                                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                                Comment

                                Working...