The Mormon Defense League

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe Public
    8.1 YPC
    • Apr 2011
    • 8524

    #1

    The Mormon Defense League

    On Thursday, the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research (FAIR) announced that it was launching the Mormon Defense League (MDL) to help journalists "get it right," said Scott Gordon, FAIR’s president who will direct the new project.
    Utah’s independent news source since 1871, The Salt Lake Tribune covers news, entertainment, sports and faith for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah. (SLT)
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27880

      #3
      Dan Peterson in tights and a cape...
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #4
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Dan Peterson in tights and a cape...
        That tron guy reminded me of Dan Peterson:



        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #5
          Originally posted by Babs View Post
          I think my favorite thing about that group is how the alien guy between Batman and Green Lantern is just called John.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Does anybody else sense a hint of persecution complex here? I mean, who are they going to defend us against? I haven't seen some good ol' malicious anti-Mormon stuff in a while.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • HBCoug
              Peanut Gallery Asshat
              • Dec 2008
              • 2082

              #7
              Talk about redudancy. Have these guys never heard of "Blue It" and his defenders of the faith?

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27880

                #8
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Does anybody else sense a hint of persecution complex here? I mean, who are they going to defend us against? I haven't seen some good ol' malicious anti-Mormon stuff in a while.
                Yeah, quite q bit. I read some of the posts and they seem very direct and almost condescending. But even the polygamy one said we dot practice it anymore....sure, as long as you assume we won't be resurrected and dealings aren't for eternity.

                I'm sure the directness and absoluteness of the mdl will resonate with some.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Pheidippides
                  Liberal Feminazi
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14759

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Yeah, quite q bit. I read some of the posts and they seem very direct and almost condescending. But even the polygamy one said we dot practice it anymore....sure, as long as you assume we won't be resurrected and dealings aren't for eternity.

                  I'm sure the directness and absoluteness of the mdl will resonate with some.
                  I realize I beat this drum a lot but I see this kind of exercise as having very little to do with outside perception and everything to do with internal insecurity. I don't mean that pejoratively at all, but it seems to me that the real audience for things like FAIR and MDL is the more orthodox wing of the church membership - whether or not the contributors actually are such members.

                  I honestly thing media treatment of us over the last decade or so, on the whole, has been quite fair. Treating us with kid gloves to a degree, if you want my real opinion.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                  Comment

                  • taekwondave
                    Junior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 1160

                    #10


                    there's a better one, but I can't link it. dangit
                    Last edited by taekwondave; 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM.

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #11
                      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I think my favorite thing about that group is how the alien guy between Batman and Green Lantern is just called John.
                      Well, anytime you get a group together, you're going to need a john eventually.

                      Comment

                      • taekwondave
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 1160

                        #12


                        There's a Joseph Smith one

                        Comment

                        • taekwondave
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 1160

                          #13


                          THAT'S the one.

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #14
                            Originally posted by taekwondave View Post


                            There's a Joseph Smith one
                            I was always under the impression that the South Park creators were mormon or ex-mormon or something. Thanks to grape's link to holyfetch.com in one of his awesome postings I now know they were never mormon...

                            Parker and Stone were asked in an interview with Reason Magazine about their feelings on the Mormon religion. The following is an excerpt from the interview:

                            Parker: I've been fascinated with the Mormons for a long time. They are the nicest people in the world. If a religion's going to take over the world, and the one that really believes "just be super nice to everyone" takes over, that's all right with me.

                            Stone: I was raised agnostic. There was no religion in my house.

                            Parker: I was pretty much the same.

                            reason magazine: I have Mormon friends who are convinced you guys were raised Mormon, because of some of the references in the show.

                            Parker: Well, we grew up in Colorado. Colorado's right next to Utah--you know, Mormon Central. My first girlfriend was Mormon, and I went to experience family home evening at her house for the first time. "What are you all doing?" "We're sitting, and we're singing songs and playing games together." I was like, "Boy, that's f****d up. Families are not supposed to be doing that."
                            They had me fooled.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Eddie
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 8098

                              #15
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              I realize I beat this drum a lot but I see this kind of exercise as having very little to do with outside perception and everything to do with internal insecurity. I don't mean that pejoratively at all, but it seems to me that the real audience for things like FAIR and MDL is the more orthodox wing of the church membership - whether or not the contributors actually are such members.

                              I honestly thing media treatment of us over the last decade or so, on the whole, has been quite fair. Treating us with kid gloves to a degree, if you want my real opinion.
                              It wouldn't surprised me a bit if they are gearing up for when the presidential campaigns really get going and there starts to be some mudslinging Romney and Huntsman's way with regard to their beliefs.

                              I'm not sure anyone believed Romney could get the nomination last election. I think they believe he could this next election. I also think they believe that Romney was doing well right up until Huckabee started talking about Romney being a Mormon.

                              I could be wrong. But that is just my suspicion.

                              Comment

                              Working...