History of the Garment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #16
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    As always, you're a great help with my efforts to become a runner. I see great value in carrying a mattress on this bold adventure. My wardrobe will now be provided by Nike, Asics, and Beautyrest.
    Man, you're going to be the laughing stock of the entire race. Nobody wears Nike.*



    *except for me during my last two marathons
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #17
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I used to play this guy in high school that would sweat like crazy. Even if you tried to guard him close you'd slip right off.
      Lubricant and repellent at the same time.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Portland Ute
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 5647

        #18
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I used to play basketball with this older guy (late 50s? early 60s?) who would wear his scoop neck garment top underneath one of those rec-league type tank top bball jerseys.

        Then he separated his shoulder during a game and hasn't come back. None of the no garment wearers have had that sort of injury.
        There was a guy in my ward growing up that played with my dad on the ward team. The guy would wear his garment bottoms and shorts that were quite often far too short. He would be constantly running around with a couple of inches of white garment hanging out the bottom of his shorts.

        Although, with him, I wonder if it was just that he was too damned cheap to buy a pair of regular underwear and/or jock that he would only wear a dozen times in the course of a year.

        Comment

        • Jacob
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 6801

          #19
          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          There is some interesting information presented in that link, but it reads like a bleacher report article.
          Agreed. I want to know who wrote the article. Can his quotes be trusted? He made some citations, but can these be checked?

          I mean, if I can be assured that the 4 person committee really recommended the creation of tank tops Gs, then I'll be fabricating my own with no remorse. Even if they thought this would only be a boon to the sisters.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69706

            #20
            Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            Agreed. I want to know who wrote the article. Can his quotes be trusted? He made some citations, but can these be checked?

            I mean, if I can be assured that the 4 person committee really recommended the creation of tank tops Gs, then I'll be fabricating my own with no remorse. Even if they thought this would only be a boon to the sisters.
            Much of the quoted information can also be found here:

            http://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Godl...8258237&sr=8-1

            Fascinating book. I posted a review on CG:

            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • BigPiney
              Huge Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12366

              #21
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Lubricant and repellent at the same time.
              Friend of mine at the BY sweat like that. We called him Molly McButter.

              Comment

              • scottie
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 5247

                #22
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                2. The original washings were not the simple symbolic stuff you see now, but full washings from head to toe in a tub.
                What if it moved? Was there a penalty?

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37987

                  #23
                  3. The temple usage in Nauvoo (and Kirtland) was quite a bit different from today. The saints would often spend the entire night in the temple doing ordinances, singing, dancing, and just visiting. After one fun night of dancing, BY told the saints that if they danced with gentiles they would be cursed and that "singing and dancing belong only to the saints." I thought that was kind of amusing.
                  Origins of the Stake Dance!

                  This explains why you have to have an interview with the bishopric and a signed dance card before you will be admitted.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • marsupial
                    Mississippi Queen
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3678

                    #24
                    OK, I am not a guy, but I was under the impression that garments offered about as much support as a pair of boxers. So wouldn't running or playing basketball in them be pretty much like a woman going out sans sports bra?
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

                    Comment

                    • Guest

                      #25
                      Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                      OK, I am not a guy, but I was under the impression that garments offered about as much support as a pair of boxers. So wouldn't running or playing basketball in them be pretty much like a woman going out sans sports bra?
                      Depending on what you get, they can be like boxers or like jockey shorts.

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37987

                        #26
                        Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                        OK, I am not a guy, but I was under the impression that garments offered about as much support as a pair of boxers. So wouldn't running or playing basketball in them be pretty much like a woman going out sans sports bra?
                        In high school I played soccer in boxer shorts all the time. That was at the height of briefs' unpopularity. I don't remember any adverse effects.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • SuperGabers
                          aka... UtahDan's Wifey
                          • May 2009
                          • 2182

                          #27
                          Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          OK, I am not a guy, but I was under the impression that garments offered about as much support as a pair of boxers. So wouldn't running or playing basketball in them be pretty much like a woman going out sans sports bra?
                          What kind of G's are you wearing sup? Ace Bandage ones?

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #28
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            In high school I played soccer in boxer shorts all the time. That was at the height of briefs' unpopularity. I don't remember any adverse effects.
                            same here, wasn't and hasn't ever been a problem.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • KillerDog
                              a.k.a. K-dog
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 4196

                              #29
                              I don't believe the male need for support and constriction and the female need for the same come from the same place. I would say more but this is a coed board and that makes me shy.

                              Comment

                              • Pheidippides
                                Liberal Feminazi
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14759

                                #30
                                Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                                OK, I am not a guy, but I was under the impression that garments offered about as much support as a pair of boxers. So wouldn't running or playing basketball in them be pretty much like a woman going out sans sports bra?
                                Two styles - boxer or brief. The brief styles have an "extra support" version which is essentially a really shoddy pair of spandex-like shorts. Buy them a size small and you have compression shorts until the seams rip.

                                FTR, none of the guys I saw (and I only saw peeks about the knees) last saturday had the extra support versions. Looked to be cotton-poly blend if anything. It makes my junk sore just to think about running in something like that for more than 20 yards, let alone a full marathon.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                                Comment

                                Working...