If your parents had given you a BOM name like Amaleki or Abinadi

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #1

    If your parents had given you a BOM name like Amaleki or Abinadi

    or Nephi, etc., what would you do? (I have a second cousin named Amaleki).
    38
    Legally change my name
    21.05%
    8
    Insist on people referring to me by a different name
    26.32%
    10
    Embrace my given name and do nothing
    50.00%
    19
    Other
    2.63%
    1
  • Jacob
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 6801

    #2
    Originally posted by scottie View Post
    or Nephi, etc., what would you do? (I have a second cousin named Amaleki).
    What would I do? Nothing different than what I do with the name they actually gave me.

    Comment

    • scottie
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 5247

      #3
      Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      What would I do? Nothing different than what I do with the name they actually gave me.
      Vote accordingly.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25272

        #4
        My parents gave be a name from the BOM. I'll tell you that I have embraced it, fully, and it's not even an issue.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • scottie
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5247

          #5
          I have a brother who named one of his sons Brigham but after about six months decided the name was probably overly unique to Mormonism and went through the process of changing it.

          Comment

          • Jacob
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 6801

            #6
            Originally posted by scottie View Post
            Vote accordingly.
            Strange I didn't notice this was a poll. I voted do nothing. This is the case even if I totally abandoned the church. Amaleki is a strong name.
            Now if they gave me some hippie name like Apple, I'd go by something else.

            Comment

            • scottie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5247

              #7
              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              My parents gave be a name from the BOM. I'll tell you that I have embraced it, fully, and it's not even an issue.
              I've always thought you were a Lehi.

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25272

                #8
                Originally posted by scottie View Post
                I've always thought you were a Lehi.
                Nimrod. It wasn't cool until Green Day named an album after me. Then the ladies were throwing their clothes at me. (Shoes, mostly.)
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • scottie
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5247

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Nimrod. It wasn't cool until Green Day named an album after me. Then the ladies were throwing their clothes at me. (Shoes, mostly.)

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #10
                    My son loves his name.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • Clark Addison
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10314

                      #11
                      Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      I have a brother who named one of his sons Brigham but after about six months decided the name was probably overly unique to Mormonism and went through the process of changing it.
                      I can only imagine the trials the boy would have had to endure.

                      Comment

                      • scottie
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5247

                        #12
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        My son loves his name.
                        King isn't a bad name.

                        Comment

                        • myboynoah
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 21719

                          #13
                          Originally posted by scottie View Post
                          I have a brother who named one of his sons Brigham but after about six months decided the name was probably overly unique to Mormonism and went through the process of changing it.
                          The only Brigham I've ever met was a guy that worked down the hall from me a few years ago. I thought he must have been Mormon, but I was wrong. He was from the Midwest somewhere and his parents liked the name.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            If my parents had named me TEA-N-CUM, I would definitely change my name. Otherwise, I'm good with it, though I think that Sariah might've lead to a knife fight in Gatlinburg.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • Katy Lied
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 9435

                              #15
                              How about Deacon or Priest? I kinda think Deacon is cool.

                              Comment

                              Working...