How trunky did you get on your mission?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #1

    How trunky did you get on your mission?

    I served an honorable mission. I tried pretty hard to live the rules, work hard, and not waste my time.

    But a few months before going home, I definetly got trunky, and I don't feel bad about it. Yes, I caught a few mvies at a members home (I was in Grand Cayman at the time). I came home a bit early if we had nothing to do beyond sundown. I came out with a huge missionary group (13 guys) and it seemed like most of us got similarly trunky.

    I could never stand the idiots who said "If I could serve another two years, I would." I believe that they are liars.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #2
    I distinctly remember watching Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones and Ellen Degeneres's ex-wife. Great cinema, it was totally worth it.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #3
      I don't remember getting trunky. I think losing 25lbs the last 3 months just a coincedence.

      Comment

      • San Juan Sun
        Kicked to the curb
        • Dec 2009
        • 9214

        #4
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        I think losing 25lbs the last 3 months just a coincedence.
        On purpose?
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

        - Ty Cobb

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #5
          I don't remember, I remember being excited to be done being a missionary, but I wasn't to excited to get back to the states. I would have rather stayed in Italy, but that's a complicated story.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #6
            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            I served an honorable mission. I tried pretty hard to live the rules, work hard, and not waste my time.

            But a few months before going home, I definetly got trunky, and I don't feel bad about it. Yes, I caught a few mvies at a members home (I was in Grand Cayman at the time). I came home a bit early if we had nothing to do beyond sundown. I came out with a huge missionary group (13 guys) and it seemed like most of us got similarly trunky.

            I could never stand the idiots who said "If I could serve another two years, I would." I believe that they are liars.
            Why must these people be liars? I always take them at their word. Maybe they really enjoy the work. Or maybe they see safety in being missionaries, kind of like the same reason some people stay at university for years. Or maybe they fear losing what is a fairly simple reason for being; life can get complicated post-mission.

            I always believe them. Don't understand it, but I believe them.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #7
              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              On purpose?
              Yes, I left at 160. I had gotten up to 190. I thought people would be more receptive to my homecoming speech if I looked like the guy that left.

              Comment

              • San Juan Sun
                Kicked to the curb
                • Dec 2009
                • 9214

                #8
                [QUOTE=myboynoah;588285]Why must these people be liars? I always take them at their word. Maybe they really enjoy the work. Or maybe they see safety in being missionaries, kind of like the same reason some people stay at university for years. Or maybe they fear losing what is a fairly simple reason for being; life can get complicated post-mission.

                [QUOTE]

                Or maybe they're faking piety knowing full well that they're supposed wish won't ever happen.

                I've never heard it from outside my mission, but the few I knew who said this I don't believe. Maybe I'm just a bigger pessimist than you, MBN.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                - Ty Cobb

                Comment

                • CardiacCoug
                  вот так штука
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 11013

                  #9
                  Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  I could never stand the idiots who said "If I could serve another two years, I would." I believe that they are liars.
                  My response whenever I heard that (just to myself if I didn't know the missionary too well) was "Your life at home must really suck."

                  I HATED the MTC. After that, other than a few weirdo companions I really didn't mind the rest of my mission too much.

                  I got to go up to Chernobyl for the 10th anniversary of the disaster toward the end of the mission so I had that to look forward to at the end. I didn't really get trunky, but I was never a stickler for the rules on the mission, even from the beginning.

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10449

                    #10
                    There was a time on my mission that within a two week span I broke a fellow Elder's (a greenie) nose playing football, another Elder fell off a 50m cliff while hiking to the bottom of a gorge (only broke his hip and wrist), and the broken nose greenie getting in a head on collision that ended in the death of his companion. I was the leader who handled all the incidents. (Humblebrag time) I was on the scene of the unlucky cliff faller and helped Search and Rescue carry him out of the gorge. I got the call to handle the car accident including blessing him as he died, identifying his body several hours later mid-autopsy, and collecting all his stuff to ship home to his family in Joburg.[/U]

                    It was a very stressful time and the brunt of handling the problems fell to me. The last two incidents happened within three days of each other and I got very little sleep during this time and the aftermath which led to me contracting a parasite and sitting on a toilet for three days.

                    Somehow the MP came to the conclusion that I handled things well and for the most part gave me my choice of assignments for the rest of my mission. He literally put me out to pasture for my last month transferring me back to the Cape Town area in a place where there was no work to do. I was able to tour around and enjoy myself.

                    My trunkiness was by my MP's design.

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #11
                      The mission president kept giving me greenies the last 9 months. I couldn't get trunky, but I made sure to sing "El fin se acerca" every district meeting for the last few months. I also taped a mini calendar to the back of my name badge for Jan & Feb 1995. I crossed each day off. I didn't get severely trunky until the last week.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #12
                        Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                        (I was in Grand Cayman at the time).
                        The hell you must have gone through.

                        Comment

                        • Viking
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 6470

                          #13
                          Never.

                          I disliked being a missionary but I turned it into a form of competition and there was no way I'd let down

                          Comment

                          • San Juan Sun
                            Kicked to the curb
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 9214

                            #14
                            Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            The hell you must have gone through.
                            Yes, it was awful. Nice missionary home, good food and plenty of it, hot water, etc. Gorgeous scenery, and nice people. A pure nightmare.
                            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                            - Ty Cobb

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                              I could never stand the idiots who said "If I could serve another two years, I would." I believe that they are liars.
                              I mostly agree. I figured the ones that really meant it had such a miserable existence prior to their mission that their mission actually represented an improvement over what they would have to return to.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...