The Refiner's Hire

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • frank ryan
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12374

    #1

    The Refiner's Hire

    Has anyone read this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Refiners-Fire-Making-Cosmology-1644-1844/dp/0521565642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302383774&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Refiner's Fire: The Making of Mormon Cosmology, 1644-1844 (9780521565646): John L. Brooke: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sjlj7q%2BmL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sjlj7q%2BmL[/ame]
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #2
    Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    Has anyone read this book:
    Fantastic book. It can be pretty academic in places, but overall I was really impressed (it is a Cambridge U Press title, after all) - the Hermetic stuff can be a little dry in places, but I'm pretty interested in alchemy and occult practices anyway. IMO, Joseph Smith comes across more as a medieval mystic alchemist than as a bumbling magician.

    EDIT: Oh, if you're interested in The Refiner's Hire, I think that book is also pretty good, but definitely not Judy Bloom's finest work.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12374

      #3
      Originally posted by Solon View Post
      Fantastic book. It can be pretty academic in places, but overall I was really impressed (it is a Cambridge U Press title, after all) - the Hermetic stuff can be a little dry in places, but I'm pretty interested in alchemy and occult practices anyway. IMO, Joseph Smith comes across more as a medieval mystic alchemist than as a bumbling magician.

      EDIT: Oh, if you're interested in The Refiner's Hire, I think that book is also pretty good, but definitely not Judy Bloom's finest work.
      i'm tempted to give it a go.

      Comment

      Working...