Corpus of LDS General Conference Talks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69687

    #61
    Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    They probably had to do that to get it through the corrlelation committee. Actually and on a serious note, I'm (pleasantly) surprised this tool is even available. I'm sure it's intent was not along the lines of what we are doing, but then again the computer is also being used for more things than just genealogy.
    It's certainly entertaining, but it's also a wonderful research tool. I can see this being referenced for lots of academic projects.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Sleeping in EQ
      Philosopher of Men
      • Nov 2008
      • 4188

      #62
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      It's certainly entertaining, but it's also a wonderful research tool. I can see this being referenced for lots of academic projects.
      Agreed. I like how it pulls the curtain back on the "change of teaching by ommission" approach that seems to cascade down from the highest levels of the Church.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

      Comment

      • Jacob
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 6801

        #63
        I find the use of the phrase "the N-word" annoying.

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27877

          #64
          Socialism gets 106 hits. Of those, 80 were in the 1960s. ETB and Marion Romney pretty much make up for all of those hits.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #65
            It looks like this is running the same platform as BYU linguistics professor Mark Davies' http://view.byu.edu/, which is a selection of corpora for the English language as well as Spanish and Portuguese. They're wonderful research tools, especially if you are trying to determine usage for a particular word.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • EuropeanFootballMale
              Karate/Friendship Master
              • Aug 2010
              • 1339

              #66
              Ute - 4
              Cougar - 0

              Damn

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16936

                #67
                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Hmmm. What about 1922 when Heber J. Grant said:

                O God, for a prophet, To guide us in these latter days; We thank Thee for sending the gospel To lighten our minds with its rays; We thank Thee for every blessing Bestowed by Thy bounteous hand; We feel it a pleasure to serve Thee, And love to obey Thy command. " Now, if you mean it -- I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone.
                Take heart, ye Coke drinkers! President Grant's declaration came seven years before the Coca Cola Company eliminated cocaine once and for all. I'm certain Heber J. would have been cool with the beverage after 1929.

                Comment

                • Sullyute
                  a day late/a dollar short
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3308

                  #68
                  Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  The talk was given in 1900.
                  That makes a little more sense. Still a recession year, but HJG was thirty years younger. I was going to say if you are old enough to be the prophet are are still in debt you are either terrible with your money or are still supporting a lot of young polygamous wives and offspring.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #69
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Take heart, ye Coke drinkers! President Grant's declaration came seven years before the Coca Cola Company eliminated cocaine once and for all. I'm certain Heber J. would have been cool with the beverage after 1929.
                    Actually, coke met with HJG and he semi-retracted his request. I'll see if I can find the source on that - just read it a couple of months ago.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • Sullyute
                      a day late/a dollar short
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 3308

                      #70
                      Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                      Ute - 4
                      Cougar - 0

                      Damn
                      :clap:
                      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                      Comment

                      • Lost Student
                        BAND!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4324

                        #71
                        Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                        Ute - 4
                        Cougar - 0

                        Damn
                        Cougars - 1
                        BYU - 115
                        brigham young university - 606
                        university of utah - 146
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                        Comment

                        • BlueHair
                          Boom Bitches!!!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2894

                          #72
                          This is awesome. It helped me with my signature line.
                          Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

                          Comment

                          • EuropeanFootballMale
                            Karate/Friendship Master
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 1339

                            #73
                            With these numbers the great debate is finally and conclusively answered.

                            James - 3050
                            Andre - 5

                            Comment

                            • Rosebud
                              sledgirl
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 1363

                              #74
                              Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                              For Rosebud:

                              Heavenly Mother - 5 times.
                              Thanks snowcat .

                              Heavenly Father - 6,526 times
                              Jesus - 46,880 times

                              It's nice that it's at least a thought, though.

                              Comment

                              • BlueHair
                                Boom Bitches!!!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 2894

                                #75
                                Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                                Thanks snowcat .

                                Heavenly Father - 6,526 times
                                Jesus - 46,880 times

                                It's nice that it's at least a thought, though.
                                Thinking about a heavenly mother cracks me up.
                                Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

                                Comment

                                Working...