I Heard Him Come

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mrs. Funk
    Lawyer Wannabe
    • Nov 2008
    • 2690

    #1

    I Heard Him Come

    Guess who was asked to sing this ghastly number for a baptism on Saturday? I can't very well say that I don't like the song, and the lady who was going to sing it went into premature labor.

    I heeeeeeearrrrd him coooooooome...
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #2
    Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Guess who was asked to sing this ghastly number for a baptism on Saturday? I can't very well say that I don't like the song, and the lady who was going to sing it went into premature labor.

    I heeeeeeearrrrd him coooooooome...
    LOL...
    there are worse and more painful ways to perform service. It's the curse of being blessed with a good voice--my wife has to sing all kinds of songs she hates.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • thesaint258
      aka Benito Hazard
      • Jan 2009
      • 3005

      #3
      It's sad that when I saw the title of the thread, the first words in my head were, "I saw his very face." Excuse me while I go try to get this song out of my head...
      Not that, sickos.

      Comment

      • marsupial
        Mississippi Queen
        • Nov 2008
        • 3678

        #4
        I have never heard this song. But you sing Mrs. Funk? And since when does premature labor get you out of a church commitment. Weak excuse.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

        Comment

        • Mrs. Funk
          Lawyer Wannabe
          • Nov 2008
          • 2690

          #5
          Originally posted by marsupial View Post
          I have never heard this song. But you sing Mrs. Funk? And since when does premature labor get you out of a church commitment. Weak excuse.
          I took voice lessons in high school and I think I was fairly decent at one point (at least, my technique was good, good tone, etc). As is, I'm a bit out of practice and my three-octave range has shriveled to the point that I don't like singing much higher than a D.

          And yes, premature labor? C'mon. It's only Wednesday and the baptism is on Saturday. A pioneer would have had the kid in the back of a wagon and then started walking, carrying her baby on her back within 12 hours. She has plenty of time.
          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Mrs. Funk - do you sing like this girl? (for those worried, it's not I Heard Him Come).

            [YOUTUBE]sbprs8wVfsE[/YOUTUBE]

            If you'd like, I could call and as if she's available to take your place.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • Mrs. Funk
              Lawyer Wannabe
              • Nov 2008
              • 2690

              #7
              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
              Mrs. Funk - do you sing like this girl? (for those worried, it's not I Heard Him Come).

              [youtube]sbprs8wVfsE[/youtube]

              If you'd like, I could call and as if she's available to take your place.
              Mmmmm... for the record, I have never been able to sing like that. I know opera's not for everyone, but her voice is rather stunning.

              And yes, by all means... she can sing I Heard Him Come for me.
              "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16938

                #8
                I'm reminded of a baptismal service a few years ago where the poor kid's mother sang a solo, without accompaniment, of "In This Very Room." She stood right in front of the kid and sang with great gusto, including all sorts of gyrations and gestures. He was mortified, although he tried to smile appreciatively. If fingernails on chalkboard were a singer, they would have been she.

                Break a leg Saturday.

                Comment

                • Teenage Dirtbag
                  Since 1971
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 1096

                  #9
                  Speaking of the oldies, somebody reached into the late 80's and brought out "In The Hollow Of Thy Hand" at our meeting on Sunday. It was good to hear that little diddy once again. Not a dry eye could be found in the place. (OK, I'm lying about that part.)

                  Comment

                  • UtahDan
                    *
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14496

                    #10
                    Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                    It's sad that when I saw the title of the thread, the first words in my head were, "I saw his very face." Excuse me while I go try to get this song out of my head...
                    What does it mean to see His "very" face? Does anyone talk like this besides us? Also, what us up with referring to the Lord as "even Jesus" as in "in the name of our Savior, even Jesus Christ." I think just plain Jesus is fine.

                    Can anyone think of any other odd little emphasis words we use? And, because I really don't know, is that unique to us?

                    Comment

                    • Mrs. Funk
                      Lawyer Wannabe
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2690

                      #11
                      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                      What does it mean to see His "very" face? Does anyone talk like this besides us? Also, what us up with referring to the Lord as "even Jesus" as in "in the name of our Savior, even Jesus Christ." I think just plain Jesus is fine.

                      Can anyone think of any other odd little emphasis words we use? And, because I really don't know, is that unique to us?
                      What about some weird Mormon phrases?

                      "Sick and afflicted"
                      "Bless the hands the prepared this meal" (a lot of the convert members in France will use this phrase because they heard American missionaries use it)
                      "We thank thee for the MOOOOOISTURE"
                      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                      Comment

                      • Brian
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2164

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                        What about some weird Mormon phrases?

                        "Sick and afflicted"
                        "Bless the hands the prepared this meal" (a lot of the convert members in France will use this phrase because they heard American missionaries use it)
                        "We thank thee for the MOOOOOISTURE"
                        every fiber
                        I intend to live forever.
                        So far, so good.
                        --Steven Wright

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          every fiber
                          I've heard every fiber from people other than Mormons. With that said we abuse it.

                          I hate hearing about trials a tribulations in the same sentence. They are the same thing.

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            I've heard every fiber from people other than Mormons. With that said we abuse it.

                            I hate hearing about trials a tribulations in the same sentence. They are the same thing.
                            I agree. It seems redundant and repetitive.

                            Technically, the LDS prayer lexicon is friendly to repetitions......no harm or accident, strengthen and nourish, bless and sanctify, etc...

                            My MIL always starts her prayers the exact same way every time....this is over the 12 or 13 years that I have known her: "Our Dearest, Kind, Eternal, Dearest Father in Heaven...." I have never known why she says Dearest twice and my wife never even noticed until I pointed it out to her. Nobody knows and it isn't important enough to ask, but I think we all use phrases that seem familiar to us.

                            The prayer reps that I most enjoy are all related to banalities:

                            Blessing the car that it will function properly
                            Asking at an sports event that athletes can play to the best of their ability
                            Asking at an activity that we may all have a good time

                            For some reason, these have become commonplace in our culture, but I don't know why these ones have survived while others have never surfaced. For example, in a prayer on the food, why do we not ask that the utensils will function properly so that we may eat our food?
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #15
                              A sister missionary in one of my areas actually convinced our district to WHISTLE this song as a special musical number in sacrament meeting. You try whistling with that image in your head.

                              Comment

                              Working...