Religion was made for man not man for religion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #1

    Religion was made for man not man for religion

    One of my favorite scriptures is Mark 2:27, when Christ says that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

    I've always considered this idea to apply not only to Sabbath observance, but to religion generally. The purpose of my religion is to make me a better, happier person. I don't exist to serve my religion if the service will be to my own long-term detriment. In other words, religion was made for people (to help people), not people for religion.

    I'm curious as to what some people think about this approach. How is this approach or attitude flawed?
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2
    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I don't exist to serve my religion if the service will be to my own long-term detriment.
    True religion is this: to visit the orphans and widows and to remain untainted by the world.


    I'm curious what you mean by detriment? Physical detriment? Emotional? Spiritual? Financial?

    I assume you don't simply mean that you're going to denounce religion when faithful adherence becomes inconvenient.

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #3
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      True religion is this: to visit the orphans and widows and to remain untainted by the world.


      I'm curious what you mean by detriment? Physical detriment? Emotional? Spiritual? Financial?

      I assume you don't simply mean that you're going to denounce religion when faithful adherence becomes inconvenient.
      I guess what I mean by a detriment or benefit is whether or not in a very broad, general sense I think it's good for my soul or good for my family or not. If something is a waste of time and I'm only doing it to satisfy some type of abstract religious purpose, I'm not sure I should do it.

      I pay tithing -- I think that is good for me because it makes me less selfish and realize that money isn't a big deal -- I can part with it. I don't want to be a freeloader and I use Church resources. I think generally the Church is a positive influence in the world, so I like supporting it.

      I go to Church whenever I can because I think it's good to be reminded to be a good person and I think it's good for my kids to go to a church.

      I do my home teaching and try to help out with service projects when I can -- I feel like it's good to help and it's a fun chance to get to know people in the ward better.

      I don't go to the temple very often because I find it repetitive and I'm not really convinced that I benefit from it or that anybody else benefits from me attending the temple. Other than getting to spend a small part of the time in the temple with my wife and kind of reflecting about our marriage, etc. I don't find temple attendance useful.

      Maybe by detriment I just mean "waste of time."

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        I guess what I mean by a detriment or benefit is whether or not in a very broad, general sense I think it's good for my soul or good for my family or not. If something is a waste of time and I'm only doing it to satisfy some type of abstract religious purpose, I'm not sure I should do it.
        I knew what you meant. I just wasn't sure how we could phrase it to accurately convey your meaning, so that it doesn't risk sounding like "I like religion when it's convenient."

        You've heard of ars gratia artis? I think you reject relgio gratia religionis -- the practice of religion for religion's sake.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          I don't go to the temple very often because I find it repetitive and I'm not really convinced that I benefit from it or that anybody else benefits from me attending the temple. Other than getting to spend a small part of the time in the temple with my wife and kind of reflecting about our marriage, etc. I don't find temple attendance useful.
          That's sad. And I don't mean that as pejorative, but rather it really made me feel sadness reading that. I think of all the quibbles I may have with the Church, but the temple in my experience is what ties everything together and gives me that foundation I need.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          Working...