"There is no end to race."

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16935

    #1

    "There is no end to race."

    Our ward choir is practicing "If You Could Hie to Heaven", an arrangement of the Phelps' hymn, "If Could Hie to Kolob," that eliminates the titular tribute to Battlestar Galactica. I don't care much for the song, as its minor key and repetitious, even hypnotic, refrain, sound weird to me (I'm reminded of the eerie choral arrangement of "Spider Pig" at the end of The Simpsons Movie).

    The chorus includes the following litany:

    There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
    There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.


    Now I'm fine with the first three items, and they're consistent with Joseph Smith's teachings that were fairly revolutionary for his time. But what of the fourth? Can anyone explain "there is no end to race"? I'd quit the choir in protest, but I'm sleeping with the director and my principles have limits.
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    I actually love the music. one of the more challenging hymns to sing in parts.

    not a great one for investigators to hear.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16935

      #3
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      not a great one for investigators to hear.
      I'm hoping someone can provide an uplifting explanation for the phrase. SU's not online at the moment; perhaps he'll deliver upon his return.

      In the absence of such an explanation, I'm curious why someone doesn't do an edit--"there is no end to grace", perhaps? If we can edit out some of my favorites (e.g., "the world has no use for the drone", "Yoohoo unto Jesus", "Teach me all that I must KNOW", etc.), why not tweak this one?

      Comment

      • SteelBlue
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 8189

        #4
        I googled it and found this discussion on Times and Seasons.

        Comment

        • CardiacCoug
          вот так штука
          • Nov 2008
          • 11013

          #5
          I hope it's false doctrine. I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I'm still afflicted with White Man's Disease on the basketball courts of the Celestial Kingdom.

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #6
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            I'm hoping someone can provide an uplifting explanation for the phrase.
            I'll try (warning - pure speculation follows): W.W. Phelps was a pretty literate guy, one of the most prolific writers in the fledgling Church. He has more hymns in the book than anyone. My guess is he was simply searching for a rhyme, and "race" is a pretty easy rhyme. I think he was referring to the human race. That seems to make the most sense, unless you can read into it a darker reference to the superiority of a particular race. Using the "plain meaning" standard, we'd need some more evidence before we can find additional significance in the word "race" here.

            How'd I do?
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • PaloAltoCougar
              Semper infra dignitatem
              • Nov 2008
              • 16935

              #7
              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              I googled it and found this discussion on Times and Seasons.

              http://timesandseasons.org/index.php...-hie-to-kolob/
              That was helpful, if a bit disturbing as the first comment reflected my own unoriginal thoughts. At first I thought the race = human race comment was a bit too easy, but I came around as I read through the comments. I feel better now, and will sing lustily tomorrow afternoon.


              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              I hope it's false doctrine. I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I'm still afflicted with White Man's Disease on the basketball courts of the Celestial Kingdom.
              I had the same thought at the outset, as I really hope I am not melanin-challenged through the eternities. When they substituted "pure" for "white" in the "white and delightsome" clauses of the BoM, it removed the last bit of consolation for the heavy burden that my lineage has imposed.

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16935

                #8
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                I'll try (warning - pure speculation follows): W.W. Phelps was a pretty literate guy, one of the most prolific writers in the fledgling Church. He has more hymns in the book than anyone. My guess is he was simply searching for a rhyme, and "race" is a pretty easy rhyme. I think he was referring to the human race. That seems to make the most sense, unless you can read into it a darker reference to the superiority of a particular race. Using the "plain meaning" standard, we'd need some more evidence before we can find additional significance in the word "race" here.

                How'd I do?
                Whoops, we were cross-posting and I missed this. That's a fair explanation, as there's nothing in the context of the hymn to suggest he meant anything racial in the sense I was fearing.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Our ward choir is practicing "If You Could Hie to Heaven", an arrangement of the Phelps' hymn, "If Could Hie to Kolob," that eliminates the titular tribute to Battlestar Galactica. I don't care much for the song, as its minor key and repetitious, even hypnotic, refrain, sound weird to me (I'm reminded of the eerie choral arrangement of "Spider Pig" at the end of The Simpsons Movie).

                  The chorus includes the following litany:

                  There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
                  There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.


                  Now I'm fine with the first three items, and they're consistent with Joseph Smith's teachings that were fairly revolutionary for his time. But what of the fourth? Can anyone explain "there is no end to race"? I'd quit the choir in protest, but I'm sleeping with the director and my principles have limits.
                  Perhaps it's a reference to the Iron Man Triathlon.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • MormonMystic
                    Junior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 3

                    #10
                    "There is no End to the Race of the Gods"

                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Our ward choir is practicing "If You Could Hie to Heaven", an arrangement of the Phelps' hymn, "If Could Hie to Kolob," that eliminates the titular tribute to Battlestar Galactica. I don't care much for the song, as its minor key and repetitious, even hypnotic, refrain, sound weird to me (I'm reminded of the eerie choral arrangement of "Spider Pig" at the end of The Simpsons Movie).

                    The chorus includes the following litany:

                    There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
                    There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.


                    Now I'm fine with the first three items, and they're consistent with Joseph Smith's teachings that were fairly revolutionary for his time. But what of the fourth? Can anyone explain "there is no end to race"? I'd quit the choir in protest, but I'm sleeping with the director and my principles have limits.
                    I don't believe this hymn particularly reflects early Mormon racism, or has anything at all to do with the "human race" per se. Rather, given the entirety of the hymn, Phelps is apparently alluding to the LDS concept of the eternal regression of Deity -- that is to say, the "race" of which there is no end is the "race of the Gods in eternity." This closing verse, then, is Phelps addressing what he rhetorically asks in the *first* verse:

                    Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
                    Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?

                    The answer he provides is in this closing verse, where he emphasizes our inability to discover the beginning of the eternal regression of Deity:

                    There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
                    There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.

                    While it is true that early Mormons held views in common with their contemporaries regarding race, civilization and even eugenics, I don't think this is what we are seeing here. Even if it were, more troubling for me is when we forget our early theological roots, and then do things like re-write a hymn to "clean it up" and bring it closer to our current theological perspectives. In this particular case, we do so by removing the word "Kolob" and sometimes entirely eliminating the final verse (as is sometimes done in the recently sanitized "If You Could Hie to Heaven").

                    Kindest,
                    MormonMystic
                    Last edited by MormonMystic; 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM.

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #11
                      Nice first post^^ So, by which name did we all previously know you?
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #12
                        BYU Choir changed/substituted the word Grace for Race. I think its better fit.
                        Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM.

                        Comment

                        • grapevine
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 1990

                          #13
                          I have never sang in a choir. Won't either. Though some people have tried to drag me to do it.

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27876

                            #14
                            Originally posted by grapevine View Post
                            I have never sang in a choir. Won't either. Though some people have tried to drag me to do it.
                            We are kindred spirits!

                            Originally posted by MormonMystic View Post
                            I don't believe this hymn particularly reflects early Mormon racism, or has anything at all to do with the "human race" per se. Rather, given the entirety of the hymn, Phelps is apparently alluding to the LDS concept of the eternal regression of Deity -- that is to say, the "race" of which there is no end is the "race of the Gods in eternity." This closing verse, then, is Phelps addressing what he rhetorically asks in the *first* verse:

                            Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
                            Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?

                            The answer he provides is in this closing verse, where he emphasizes our inability to discover the beginning of the eternal regression of Deity.

                            While it is true that early Mormons held views in common with their contemporaries regarding race, civilization and even eugenics, I don't think this is what we are seeing here. Even if it were, more troubling for me is when we forget our early theological roots, and then do things like re-write a hymn to "clean it up" and bring it closer to our current theological perspectives. In this particular case, we do so by removing the word "Kolob" and sometimes entirely eliminating the final verse (as is sometimes done in the recently sanitized "If You Could Hie to Heaven").

                            Kindest,
                            MormonMystic
                            This is a great explanation. Given the church's recent castration of the eternal progress doctrine I whole heartedly expect any upcoming versions of this song to be changed.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • TexTechCoug
                              Carbonite
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 891

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              We are kindred spirits!



                              This is a great explanation. Given the church's recent castration of the eternal progress doctrine I whole heartedly expect any upcoming versions of this song to be changed.
                              What the? What did I miss on getting rid of Eternal Progression? That would be a big problem for me.

                              Comment

                              Working...