The "true" church

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #1

    The "true" church

    The person saying the opening prayer in church today used "the true church" and it bothered me a little. Whenever I hear someone say that I wonder if we are the Stuart Smalley churches and we just need that constant affirmations. Do other churches do this?
  • myboynoah
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 21719

    #2
    Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    The person saying the opening prayer in church today used "the true church" and it bothered me a little. Whenever I hear someone say that I wonder if we are the Stuart Smalley churches and we just need that constant affirmations. Do other churches do this?
    If they do, then they are lying.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

    Comment

    • Green Monstah
      Royal Rooter
      • Aug 2010
      • 13970

      #3
      From my limited experience, it's a variation on the theme at other protestant denominations. It's not a matter of this specific church or denomination is true, but that all (or most) Protestant denominations are part of the body of Christ, and the rest will burn in hell. I've even heard some people include Catholics in the club, but they're in the vast minority.

      So, while I've never heard "true church" elsewhere, I have heard a distinction between the saved and the unsaved, which isn't all that different if you think about it long enough.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

      Comment

      • Katy Lied
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 9435

        #4
        Agree with RS. You don't hear "true church" but you hear "saved."

        Comment

        • wally
          <><><><><><><><>
          • Jun 2010
          • 4137

          #5
          No kidding. We don't need the affirmation.

          Cool guys don't have to say that they are cool.

          Also, cool don't look at explosions.

          [YOUTUBE]Sqz5dbs5zmo[/YOUTUBE]

          Comment

          Working...