Words of Advice for LDS Military

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarid in Cedar
    CS Institutional Memory
    • Jun 2009
    • 13234

    #16
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    From the Church or the military?
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #17
      and

      Think of the words of President Spencer W. Kimball:

      "Among the most common sexual sins our young commit are necking and petting. Not only do these improper relations often lead to fornication, pregnancy, and abortions—all ugly sins—but in and of themselves they are pernicious evils, and it is often difficult for youth to distinguish where one ends and another begins. . . . They are but parts of the whole family of related sins and indiscretions. . . .

      "Too often, young people dismiss their petting with a shrug of their shoulders as a little indiscretion, while admitting that fornication is a base transgression. Too many of them are shocked, or feign &$91;pretend] to be, when told that what they have done in the name of petting was in reality fornication" ( The Miracle of Forgiveness, 65–66).
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #18
        8 - To a Latter‑day Saint, chastity is more important than life itself. Chastity means complete sexual purity, freedom from all forms of sexual immorality, including masturbation, fornication, adultery, and homosexuality.
        This is the one I can't get my head around. "Sin next to murder" is, IMO, extreme in the first place but at least that has some scriptural support. Chastity being more important than life sounds like that awful rape quote that is to the effect that it is better to die than to give up your "virtue" willingly. No one really believes that, right?

        I will actually defend the "heritage of sexual sin" quote a little, however. I think what it means is, do you want your child to be the result of an adulterous union and come into the world under those difficult circumstances. That may not be the best way to put it, but it is a fair point.

        Comment

        • clackamascoug
          Banned
          • Dec 2009
          • 9709

          #19
          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          I will actually defend the "heritage of sexual sin" quote a little, however. I think what it means is, do you want your child to be the result of an adulterous union and come into the world under those difficult circumstances. That may not be the best way to put it, but it is a fair point.
          I think the context includes if you don't marry the mother of your children, and don't have the opportunity to live with them on a daily basis. That is a huge burden to a child.

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #20
            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            This is the one I can't get my head around. "Sin next to murder" is, IMO, extreme in the first place but at least that has some scriptural support. Chastity being more important than life sounds like that awful rape quote that is to the effect that it is better to die than to give up your "virtue" willingly. No one really believes that, right?
            Let me just throw out that the two most serious sins (allegedly) both deal with creation. Murder -- destroys creation. Sexual sin -- improper use of our creative powers.

            Maybe sexual sin really is that serious in the eyes of God, but even if it isn't, I think it has symbolic importance.

            $0.02 after 15 seconds of thought.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • woot
              Resident Science Cop
              • Nov 2008
              • 5531

              #21
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Let me just throw out that the two most serious sins (allegedly) both deal with creation. Murder -- destroys creation. Sexual sin -- improper use of our creative powers.

              Maybe sexual sin really is that serious in the eyes of God, but even if it isn't, I think it has symbolic importance.

              $0.02 after 15 seconds of thought.
              Stealing: takes creations from creation.
              Masturbation: uses engine of creation to create a creation that is not used in creation.
              jaywalking: increases potential of one creation running into another, or at least becoming annoyed. However, saves the time of a creation, possibly preventing tardiness by said creation.

              Therefore, these should all be next to murder as well.

              Comment

              • Devildog
                Motor Boatin' SOB
                • Oct 2010
                • 1239

                #22
                I am so screwed.

                "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                -Thucydides

                "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                -Miyamoto Musashi

                Si vis pacem, para bellum

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Maybe sexual sin really is that serious in the eyes of God, but even if it isn't, I think it has symbolic importance.
                  I think you are onto something here.

                  There is only 1 concrete distinction that I can articulate between two unmarried sexual partners engaging in sex and two married sexual partners engaging in sex: we have been told not to engage if we are unmarried. Beyond that, I can't really see much difference.

                  The scriptures are basically silent as to the whys of these sexual laws, only to say that God forbids it.

                  How is a married couple on birth control using their procreative powers any differently than an unmarried couple on birth control? I would be interested in thoughts on that.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • happyone
                    Board Bookworm
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 5398

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Devildog View Post
                    I am so screwed.

                    I take it you didn't completely follow the brethern's advice

                    I may be small, but I'm slow.

                    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                    Comment

                    • UtahDan
                      *
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14496

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      Let me just throw out that the two most serious sins (allegedly) both deal with creation. Murder -- destroys creation. Sexual sin -- improper use of our creative powers.

                      Maybe sexual sin really is that serious in the eyes of God, but even if it isn't, I think it has symbolic importance.

                      $0.02 after 15 seconds of thought.
                      There is certainly support for this idea. It is just not what I believe.

                      Comment

                      • Devildog
                        Motor Boatin' SOB
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 1239

                        #26
                        Originally posted by happyone View Post
                        I take it you didn't completely follow the brethern's advice
                        Yeah... not so much.

                        My perceptions could be completely mistaken... but when I read stuff like this... it makes me realize how I will never fit in the "bubble".

                        I didn't then... and I don't want to now... and I don't think I ever will.

                        Doesn't leave much room for people outside of the "ideal".

                        I can always repent for the past... but I really can't see myself ever fitting into the LDS mold.
                        "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                        -Thucydides

                        "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                        -Miyamoto Musashi

                        Si vis pacem, para bellum

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #27
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          I think the context includes if you don't marry the mother of your children, and don't have the opportunity to live with them on a daily basis. That is a huge burden to a child.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #28
                            You know, and I am nto sure about this, but what if a goal of religion, any religion, really, is to intruct one on how to live a life. Maybe even give some rules to follow. And maybe, if they really go around the bend, try to encourage followers to follow those rules. I know it sounds crazy and out there, but I think I might be on to something here.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • happyone
                              Board Bookworm
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 5398

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Devildog View Post
                              Yeah... not so much.

                              My perceptions could be completely mistaken... but when I read stuff like this... it makes me realize how I will never fit in the "bubble".

                              I didn't then... and I don't want to now... and I don't think I ever will.

                              Doesn't leave much room for people outside of the "ideal".

                              I can always repent for the past... but I really can't see myself ever fitting into the LDS mold.
                              FTR, I think items 1, 2 and 3 might be useful, if an enlistee wants to be known as a mormon. I think the rest are laughable at best, insulting at worst

                              By the way - i like your new avatar
                              Last edited by happyone; 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM.

                              I may be small, but I'm slow.

                              A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                              Comment

                              • Devildog
                                Motor Boatin' SOB
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 1239

                                #30
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                You know, and I am nto sure about this, but what if a goal of religion, any religion, really, is to intruct one on how to live a life. Maybe even give some rules to follow. And maybe, if they really go around the bend, try to encourage followers to follow those rules. I know it sounds crazy and out there, but I think I might be on to something here.
                                The instruction and rule thing is OK. I'm mostly in compliance these days.

                                It is the culture thing that I struggle with.
                                "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                                -Thucydides

                                "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                                -Miyamoto Musashi

                                Si vis pacem, para bellum

                                Comment

                                Working...