History of the Bible

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sullyute
    a day late/a dollar short
    • Jul 2010
    • 3308

    #16
    Originally posted by Babs View Post
    Lost Christianities is a nice look at some of the non-prevailing early sects, if you're looking for a quick read.
    Originally posted by Solon View Post
    Bart Ehrman's stuff is great and most of it is accessible to the layman: http://www.bartdehrman.com/books.htm
    Wow, it looks like he has quite a few books on the subject. It also appears that many are at the local library. Thanks!


    Originally posted by Solon View Post
    There's also Frend's The Rise of Christianity. A classic all-around.
    A 1000+ pages I don't know if I have the patience but I will definitely mark it down so if I am bed ridden or lose my job I will have something to keep me occupied.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

    Comment

    • DapperDan
      Whut?
      • Mar 2010
      • 1132

      #17
      Another option, available at some libraries, are Ehrman's The Teaching Company (now The Great Courses) courses.

      The Great Courses is the streaming home of more than 20,000 lectures designed to enrich and improve your life. Academically comprehensive and deeply engaging,…


      Most of the courses are made up of 24, 1/2 hour lectures. They do overlap with his books but also have many things that his books don't cover.

      (Not religion related, but if your library has TTC stuff grab anything by J. Rufus Fears. He's amazing.)

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #18
        Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        Another option, available at some libraries, are Ehrman's The Teaching Company (now The Great Courses) courses.

        The Great Courses is the streaming home of more than 20,000 lectures designed to enrich and improve your life. Academically comprehensive and deeply engaging,…


        Most of the courses are made up of 24, 1/2 hour lectures. They do overlap with his books but also have many things that his books don't cover.

        (Not religion related, but if your library has TTC stuff grab anything by J. Rufus Fears. He's amazing.)
        The Teaching Company's college lectures series are fantastic. My favorite: No Excuses: Existentialism And the Meaning of Life

        Comment

        • Rosebud
          sledgirl
          • Jun 2009
          • 1363

          #19
          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Can't remember how I stumbled on this, but I saw a reference to this course.



          You can download the mp3's for each lecture. I listened to the whole course and found it fascinating.
          Thanks Jay. I'm enjoying these.

          Comment

          • Babs
            Not a Lawyer
            • Nov 2008
            • 17128

            #20
            Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            (Not religion related, but if your library has TTC stuff grab anything by J. Rufus Fears. He's amazing.)
            Yes, he is. Flash cleaned up in one of Fears's philosophy classes. I was so proud. Up til then I had thought the best he could do was C+. (Apologies for lame programmer joke.)

            Comment

            Working...