Self-Awareness Groups

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69742

    #1

    Self-Awareness Groups

    This letter was read over the pulpit today in most wards:



    I must confess that I am completely ignorant about these groups. What have I missed that would warrant a letter from the FP?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #2
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This letter was read over the pulpit today in most wards:



    I must confess that I am completely ignorant about these groups. What have I missed that would warrant a letter from the FP?
    We heard this today. I don't know anything about these groups, but I'm open to an invitation.

    When the letter was read, my wife turned to me and said, "what's going on at these parties?"

    I agreed - the mention of intimate rites, physical contact, late-night meetings, and pairing off with non-spouses sounds like a swingers' club.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #3
      Originally posted by Solon View Post
      We heard this today. I don't know anything about these groups, but I'm open to an invitation.

      When the letter was read, my wife turned to me and said, "what's going on at these parties?"

      I agreed - the mention of intimate rites, physical contact, late-night meetings, and pairing off with non-spouses sounds like a swingers' club.
      I thought it was stuff like this:

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #4
        It was read in our ward, too.

        The announcement isn't new, though. It was culled in large part from Book 1. Been in there for at least a decade.

        My first thought was for groups that encourage gays to come out of closet, along those lines. Not that the church is against gays coming out of the closet, but the list read in church outlined specific aspects of these self groups that are verboten.

        We were also told to stop bugging the FP about bull crap and figure things out at the local level. Looks like our bishop wrote to T-Mo and asked whether we could attend earlier in the morning. Victory is mine!
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • Non Sequitur
          Where did I put my bodkin
          • Nov 2008
          • 5773

          #5
          If this weren't read in Sacrament meeting, you might think the letter was cautioning people against Mormonism.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69742

            #6
            Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
            If this weren't read in Sacrament meeting, you might think the letter was cautioning people against Mormonism.
            OK, that was funny.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Solon
              Lost in the flood
              • Nov 2008
              • 5747

              #7
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              It was read in our ward, too.

              The announcement isn't new, though. It was culled in large part from Book 1. Been in there for at least a decade.

              My first thought was for groups that encourage gays to come out of closet, along those lines. Not that the church is against gays coming out of the closet, but the list read in church outlined specific aspects of these self groups that are verboten.

              We were also told to stop bugging the FP about bull crap and figure things out at the local level. Looks like our bishop wrote to T-Mo and asked whether we could attend earlier in the morning. Victory is mine!
              Good call. It's nothing new. The letter Lebowski linked to (and the one read in my meeting today) is dated 2001.

              So, why the reiteration today?
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                This letter was read over the pulpit today in most wards:



                I must confess that I am completely ignorant about these groups. What have I missed that would warrant a letter from the FP?
                We read it today too. Seemed to me that the letter's talking about EST-type organizations and their prodigy progeny: LifeSpring, The Forum, etc. I read the letter carefully and was relieved that it didn't seem to encompass Covey Seven Habits training.
                Last edited by LA Ute; 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  One tiny bit of verbiage that jumped out to me was that these groups imply endorsement from the Church. The church stated emphatically that it does not endorse any of these groups.

                  Where else would there be a proliferation of self help groups implying endorsement from the LDS church?

                  I am convinced that 90% of the CHOI is for the small minority of nut jobs living in Utah and Idaho. The other 10% is for CUF and cougar guard.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #10
                    this letter, or something like it has been read at least three other times that I can remember, going back to my teenage years.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #11
                      It wasn't read in our ward but I think my kids will be happy to hear that early-morning seminary is out...

                      "Church members should not participate in groups that:

                      [...]

                      4. Meet late into the evening or in the early-morning hours."
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #12
                        2. Imitate sacred rites or ceremonies.

                        3. Foster physical contact among participants.

                        4. Meet late into the evening or in the early-morning hours.

                        5. Encourage open confession or disclosure of personal information normally discussed only in confidential settings.

                        6. Cause a husband and wife to be paired with other parties."
                        It looks like they just incorporated into their groups what outsiders think goes on in the temple.

                        Comment

                        • chrisrenrut
                          Strikes and Gutters
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2299

                          #13
                          My first impression was that it was regarding groups such as Impact Training, which is headquartered in Bluffdale. I have heard that they intertwine gospel principles in their individual and couples courses. I've also heard it's some creepy stuff. But it is all 2nd or 3rd hand info so I could be way off.

                          Comment

                          • Art Vandelay
                            Striving for mediocrity
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10516

                            #14
                            Uh oh, I must not have opened all my mail this week. No letters read in our ward today.

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Uh oh, I must not have opened all my mail this week. No letters read in our ward today.
                              Ha, this is funny. I never thought before but it makes sense...some of these pronouncements are subject to bishops opening their mail and not tossing it in the round file.

                              Art's ward will be the straggling caravan showing up a few weeks late to adam ondi ahman.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...