"Missionaries should avoid confessing past transgressions"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #1

    "Missionaries should avoid confessing past transgressions"

    or something like that...
    There's some rule in the White Handbook counseling missionaries to avoid discussing past transgressions with investigators. It always bugged me a little, even in my ultra-orthodox gunner missionary days, but I followed it. What does everyone think of that counsel? On the one hand, I can see 19 yr olds lacking the maturity to sense when this might be inappropriate and not particularly helpful to someone, but that hasn't stopped us in quite a few endeavors we ask missionaries to perform. On the other, I think it could be inspiring to see stories of redemption and change.

    Do they give any similar suggestions to bishops and church leaders? I think our culture is remarkably reticent about discussing flaws or previous transgressions and I was wondering if this direction came from above in any way.

    And yes, I realize there are the loony confessionals that occur in open-mic meeting, and I'm no more anxious to hear these than anyone else. I think it's possible to do this in a constructive way and I'm wondering why we don't.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10
  • Jacob
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 6801

    #2
    I guess I never thought of that. Having led a perfectly upright young-adulthood, I would have had nothing to confess.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      I always took this to mean, "Don't brag about crap you did." I can remember missionaries telling stories about blowjobs and handjobs and all kinds of stuff that they had "repented of" that sounded an awful lot like bragging to me.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #4
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        I always took this to mean, "Don't brag about crap you did." I can remember missionaries telling stories about blowjobs and handjobs and all kinds of stuff that they had "repented of" that sounded an awful lot like bragging to me.
        Ha...that never happens on CUF.

        Doesn't that seem sort of obvious?
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #5
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I always took this to mean, "Don't brag about crap you did." I can remember missionaries telling stories about blowjobs and handjobs and all kinds of stuff that they had "repented of" that sounded an awful lot like bragging to me.
          Somehow, I don't feel bad I didn't hear any of those kinds of stories on my mission.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • jay santos
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 13652

            #6
            They don't want every lesson to turn into a CUF masturbation thread.

            Comment

            • The_Tick
              Made something of myself
              • Nov 2008
              • 7297

              #7
              I have two thoughts on this....

              1. I wish as a Church we were a little more open with our struggles. I attend the Ridgeview Bible Church for a Christmas program every year (supporting some kids I have coached in soccer) and I love their style. They have a section on their program that talks about folks and different struggles that they are going through and asking members of the church to pray for them. (Brother Joe is trying to quit smoking...Sister Sue almost has quit drinking coffee and really want to...she needs your prayers). I thought that it was great that they felt secure enough to list their struggles and to ask church members to pray for them. Wish we had something like that.

              2. I had been out 9 months when I served in a ward where a girl I had grown up with had moved too. I was inactive for all of High School, so I wasn't making very good choices.

              I have shared the story before, but she proceeded to tell the congregation on my first Sunday there (Fast Sunday) that I was inactive, a class project in Seminary and at Mutual, and how excited that she was to see that everyones efforts had paid off. She didn't mention specifics, but she mentioned that she was shocked to see me there. (No doubt, as I wanted to pass out at the moment)

              I do know that the Single's Ward had a great time with it while I served in the Ward. And I don't think it helped in the missionary work as we didn't get any referrals. I don't know if it is because of what she shared, but I have always felt it might have been.

              Comment

              • Commando
                Explosivo
                • Feb 2009
                • 20748

                #8
                There was this older single dude who talked frankly in elder's quorum about his past struggles with porn. Bravo for not being scared of what people think, but that really skeeved everyone out.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                Comment

                • statman
                  Rabblerouser
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2799

                  #9
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  I always took this to mean, "Don't brag about crap you did." I can remember missionaries telling stories about blowjobs and handjobs and all kinds of stuff that they had "repented of" that sounded an awful lot like bragging to me.
                  That's what I took it to mean as well.

                  And having served well before the days of 'raising the bar' there were LOTS of stories...

                  Comment

                  Working...