Mormon sympathy for the FLDS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoonerCoug
    Joycelyn Elders Supporter
    • Nov 2008
    • 4680

    #1

    Mormon sympathy for the FLDS

    I think a lot of Mormons have sympathy for the FLDS (including the bad guys), even if it's subconscious sympathy. What do you people think? I could be wrong.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

    http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #2
    I think it's exactly the opposite. Most people view them as giving the LDS church a bad name, and sees the pedophiles as what they are (this is not to imply that all FLDS are pedophiles). Warren Jeffs, et al., are predators and are justifiably viewed as such in my experience.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • myboynoah
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 21719

      #3
      I think SC is right. Family is family.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

      Comment

      • Katy Lied
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 9435

        #4
        I agree with SC. I think Mormon's are sympathetic to religions in general, hence Senator Hatch's support of the mosque at ground zero.

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #5
          I kind of agree with everyone here. There are those who are upset at the FLDS and the way the media and everyone else confuses them with mainstream Mormonism, and then there are those who are deeply sympathetic to them and their right to religious freedom. Then there are those who feel both emotions at the same time. For many mainstream Mormons it's a complex issue, particularly if you grew up in proximity to see them up close. Whether or not we feel an affinity to them because of our common origins is uncertain. I tend to think that there are some who do, and others who don't
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            I'm sympathetic to anyone who has their Constitutional rights stomped on, especially the ability to confront their accusers and defend themselves. Many of those women had their children taken from them without due process; guilt by association.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Green Monstah
              Royal Rooter
              • Aug 2010
              • 13955

              #7
              I've done fairly extensive research on the FLDS for an article I helped to write that was eventually published in the Utah Law Review. I feel no sympathy for Warren Jeffs and several of the other leaders in Short Creek. I feel for the children who were ripped from their families in Texas. I feel for the young girls who have little real choice as to who they marry, and I feel for the young men who are forced out of the community and who take up drugs and prostitution and who are completely shunned by their families.

              I don't condemn the people who willingly enter polygamous relationships and practice their religion according to the dictates of their own consciences. I do condemn the seemingly high rate of sexual abuse in that small, insular community. I think that when the church put the kibosh on polygamy, many of the people who remained polygamists were sexual deviants and the result is that in Short Creek there is a legacy of sexual abuse (I personally think a very large % of the men there are not pedophiles/rapists, but the stories I've read are heartbreaking).

              The Centennial Park Group (just to the south of Colorado City) has its own issues, but in large part they are able to function and exist in society with less abuse and higher quality of life than their cousins to the North.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

              Comment

              Working...