Moral Dilemma for Football Fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoonerCoug
    Joycelyn Elders Supporter
    • Nov 2008
    • 4680

    #1

    Moral Dilemma for Football Fans

    If you knew that your school or its football players were violating NCAA rules, would you report them? And an additional question: If you're a BYU fan and you knew some football players were violating the honor code, woudl you report them?

    Poll coming.

    EDIT: Dang. I meant to put multiple options for the BYU fans. Can we just assume that if you would report BYU players for the honor code violations, you would also report for NCAA violations?
    25
    I am a Utah fan, and I would report my own team or its players for violating NCAA rules.
    4.00%
    1
    I am a Utah fan, and I would NOT report my own team or its players for violating NCAA rules.
    16.00%
    4
    I am a BYU fan, and I would report my own school or its players for violating NCAA rules.
    0.00%
    0
    I am a BYU fan, and I would NOT report my own school or its players for violating NCAA rules.
    24.00%
    6
    I am a BYU fan, and I would report BYU players for violating the honor code.
    0.00%
    0
    I am a BYU fan, adn I would NOT report BYU players for violating the honor code.
    44.00%
    11
    I am not a BYU or Utah fan, and I would report my own team or its players for violating NCAA rules.
    4.00%
    1
    I am not a BYU or Utah fan, and I would NOT report my own team or its players.
    8.00%
    2
    Last edited by SoonerCoug; 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

    http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
  • TheAzzuri
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 454

    #2
    I think the same rules in '71's "would you report someone drinking wine?" thread apply here.


    EDIT: oops, I didn't read the poll carefully. I don't think I would report anything unless there were somehow issues of personal safety involved. If, for example, I were somehow privy to details of the rape case, it wouldn't even be a question. (though that's a crime, not a violation--so maybe it's a bad example). But also, I might be tempted to say something if there were underage drinking involved, but not because of honor code issues.
    Last edited by TheAzzuri; 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM.

    Comment

    • beefytee
      Board eye candy
      • Mar 2009
      • 7542

      #3
      I would probably let the athletic department know not the NCAA.

      I wouldn't report honor code violations.

      Comment

      • SoonerCoug
        Joycelyn Elders Supporter
        • Nov 2008
        • 4680

        #4
        I wish I could just start over with this poll since the BYU fans should be able to vote on the honor code issue as well as the NCAA rules issue.
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

        http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

        Comment

        • Tick's wife
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 528

          #5
          I am but a wee fan, how can a report to a major university or the NCAA make a difference and why would they even listen to a wee fan?

          Comment

          • TheAzzuri
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 454

            #6
            Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
            I am but a wee fan, how can a report to a major university or the NCAA make a difference and why would they even listen to a wee fan?
            I can't speak for the NCAA, but I have a good friend who worked for the TAMU's compliance office while getting his doctorate. As he explained it, it's in the school's best interest to investigate, rectify whatever needs to be rectified, and report it. The NCAA looks favorably on that.

            The point is while the NCAA might not pay attention (or maybe refer you back to the school), the university may take it seriously, depending on the credibility of the "report-er."

            Comment

            • SoCalCoug
              Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
              • Nov 2008
              • 5214

              #7
              That's an easy one for me. I would not report a football player, nor would I report a non-football player, for breaking the honor code or the NCAA rules.

              I also would not report a Utah football player or a Utah student for breaking the NCAA rules.

              Not my rules, why should I feel the need to enforce them? Whether or not someone violates the honor code is a personal matter for them. I just don't think it's my place to police other people's righteousness.
              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

              "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

              "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                That's an easy one for me. I would not report a football player, nor would I report a non-football player, for breaking the honor code or the NCAA rules.

                I also would not report a Utah football player or a Utah student for breaking the NCAA rules.

                Not my rules, why should I feel the need to enforce them? Whether or not someone violates the honor code is a personal matter for them. I just don't think it's my place to police other people's righteousness.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                Working...