I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Don't know where to put this, but this seems to work.

I found this website Mormonr (https://mormonr.org/) the other day. Very interesting and has great references for everything it discusses.

Tackles the tough issues and some not so tough like the BYU Beard Ban.
    What Your Ward Thinks About Priesthood Authority, Temple Marriage, & Brigham Young | An Interview with Josh Coates - Leading Saints

This popped up on my podcast feed as I was just working around in my garage/shop. I found the discussion pretty fascinating in terms of what they found through their surveys and how it splits down generational lines. I'm not surprised by the fact that Gen Z looks at things very differently than Gen X, but the discussion on how those views are different and how that might be resulting in less Gen Z Mormons leaving the Mormon church than you find in other churches was interesting.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Another good listen from Andy Reid is his appearance on the All In podcast. He's obviously a very dedicated member. I like the stories of him looking to take the sacrament on game days, sometimes it's just him and maybe a couple other members on the team/staff that find a quiet place to do it.

All In (ldsliving.com)
      He went to church on the day of the super bowl! That is amazing.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Another good listen from Andy Reid is his appearance on the All In podcast. He's obviously a very dedicated member. I like the stories of him looking to take the sacrament on game days, sometimes it's just him and maybe a couple other members on the team/staff that find a quiet place to do it.

All In (ldsliving.com)
        I like the All In podcast. That said, we listened to the one about the LDS Navy guy that went to jail in Japan for killing two people with his car after a Fuji hike. Did not come away very impressed with the couple, especially after doing some quick internet research. I think they need a few more years of reflection before being very public about what happened.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

I like the All In podcast. That said, we listened to the one about the LDS Navy guy that went to jail in Japan for killing two people with his car after a Fuji hike. Did not come away very impressed with the couple, especially after doing some quick internet research. I think they need a few more years of reflection before being very public about what happened.
          Out of curiosity, what is your take on the situation?

Do you think he fell asleep? Do you think the later altitude sickness defense offered on appeal was a fabrication/construction of the Navy? Do you think it was odd that neither the police nor the Navy conducted any medical evaluation of him after the accident and for the 26 days he was in detention before he was charged?

Regardless of what you think about the circumstances of the crash, do you think the Japanese decision to sentence him to 3 years in prison, instead of the customary suspended sentence given when restitution is made, is controversial? Do you think that one of the deceased being a family member of a Tokyo high court prosecutor had anything to do with the decision? Do you think Japanese sentiment about the Status of Forces Agreement had anything to do with the sentence?

I honestly don't know what happened but my quick internet research leads me to think the both the accident and the prosecution/sentence had some unusual aspects, so I'm genuinely interested in your take given that you may have more expertise in that part of the world than I do and may have done more quick internet research than I have done.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Out of curiosity, what is your take on the situation?

Do you think he fell asleep? Do you think the later altitude sickness defense offered on appeal was a fabrication/construction of the Navy? Do you think it was odd that neither the police nor the Navy conducted any medical evaluation of him after the accident and for the 26 days he was in detention before he was charged?

Regardless of what you think about the circumstances of the crash, do you think the Japanese decision to sentence him to 3 years in prison, instead of the customary suspended sentence given when restitution is made, is controversial? Do you think that one of the deceased being a family member of a Tokyo high court prosecutor had anything to do with the decision? Do you think Japanese sentiment about the Status of Forces Agreement had anything to do with the sentence?

I honestly don't know what happened but my quick internet research leads me to think the both the accident and the prosecution/sentence had some unusual aspects, so I'm genuinely interested in your take given that you may have more expertise in that part of the world than I do and may have done more quick internet research than I have done.
            Quickly, and admittedly, I am not an expert on this situation, but I have lived in Japan and understand some of the background (focus on restitution, general unhappiness when US Forces personnel cause damage, Japanese approach to jurisprudence, etc.).

First, this appears to be a series of very unfortunate events and miscalculations by and for the Naval officer, and I do sympathize with what he and his family went through.

Second, he admits that prior to passing out and killing the two people, he did lose some consciousness and had to swerve to avoid another accident further up the road. That should have been a warning sign. He bears responsibility.

Third, a woman in Japan lost both her husband and her mother as a result.

Fourth, when we break the laws of another country as Americans, we are subject to those laws and judgements. That's frustrating and their systems may seem unfair or overbearing to us, but that is what it is. It works for them, and looking at US crime rates, they might argue that we could learn from them. Japan is not an anti-American environment. He ended up only serving half his sentence.

Finally, frankly, I was put off by the way they presented themselves on the podcast. It was all about them and what they had to endure. Meanwhile, he caused the death of two people who went out that afternoon to celebrate a birthday. I would have preferred to hear some self-reflection on what that means and how that affected them. Instead, they acted victimized by the whole situation. Overall, they are doing okay, and certainly a lot better than that family in Japan.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

And to help restore the conditions of the church buildings.
              This.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

You’d pay 2% of your annual income to get out of a few hours a year of custodial work?
                Of my NET income, yes. Also as noted above it's not just to avoid custodial work it's to have clean restrooms year-round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Of my NET income, yes. Also as noted above it's not just to avoid custodial work it's to have clean restrooms year-round.
                  Well, do you want NET cleaning or GROSS cleaning?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Well, do you want NET cleaning or GROSS cleaning?
                    We already have gross cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                    X