No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really in church - but I liked this post on the church website, written by a gal I know.

But if trying hard and falling short isn’t the definition of our human experience, what is?

The courage to try, giving what we have and doing our best (and not comparing our offering to anyone else’s), is what Heavenly Father asks of us, and this is what we should be seeking for, not perfection.
    The Lord’s servants invite us to come unto Christ and be perfected in Him, which happens over a lifetime and beyond, and not through our own strivings but only through the mercy and grace of our Redeemer. Perfect efforts are not required; we are saved by accepting His perfect Atonement and trying our best to follow Him. The path of discipleship will involve failure, over and over and over again.
    https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...Kf1s_j79dEgGgo

Comment

• That is good.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The path of discipleship will involve failure, over and over and over again.
        That might be worth framing and hanging up on the wall.

Comment

• I learned that the Savior agrees with BBB’s preference of brown mustard over yellow. Or perhaps he is giving it away because he disagrees? Food for thought, and definitely something I’ll ponder on this week as I figure out ways to use 7 bottles of brown mustard before it expires.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Wasn't today, but I leaned Elder Holland has seen Jerry Maguire.

Comment

• I learned in church today

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
              Wasn't today, but I leaned Elder Holland has seen Jerry Maguire.
              Of course he has. Honkies love that movie.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Of course he has. Honkies love that movie.
                Were we in the same room? He referred to himself as the token Honky and the token Gringo. Cue the "what did he just say?" laughter.

Comment

• You know you are moving into a small ward when you meet the Membership Clerk 15 minutes before the meeting starts and you are being read in as new members of the ward 20 minutes later!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    I learned that the Savior agrees with BBB’s preference of brown mustard over yellow. Or perhaps he is giving it away because he disagrees? Food for thought, and definitely something I’ll ponder on this week as I figure out ways to use 7 bottles of brown mustard before it expires.

I don't think the Savior was offering all 7 bottles of mustard to you.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      I don't think the Savior was offering all 7 bottles of mustard to you.
                      Typical funk. Didn't even take the time to read the sign - 1 per person.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Typical funk. Didn't even take the time to read the sign - 1 per person.
                        I really hope that Tyson gets the assistance that he needs on his Eagle project. I think it is great that all are welcome.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• We got a new Ward Music Chair about 6 months ago, and I LOVE what she's been doing with the music in our Sacrament Meetings. I'm not sure if it's all her, or if she's got someone in her ear helping (I do see a pattern of one particular family having their fingers in stuff.)

A couple of months ago we had two siblings (ages 8 & 10) along with their 4 year old cousin who lives in the ward sing a hymn. The older two kids were a little nervous, the 4 year-old knew every word and KILLED it, carrying the other two. Seriously stole the show.

Last month we had a 10 year-old boy play the piano. He isn't a prodigy by any means - pretty simple, likely even something you'd hear at your average recital for kids who have been taking lessons for a couple of years. Again - he played a hymn out of the simplified hymns book and it was great.

Yesterday we had a 8 year-old girl sing a solo from the Children's Songbook, accompanied by a 10 year-old on the piano. The piano was a little rough, but passable. The 8 year-old is the sweetest thing - but she seriously has a gravely voice like she's a lounge singer who's spent way too much time in smoke filled rooms. But she knew the words, sounded so sincere in singing, and had us thinking about the words of the song. Great great job.

I find myself looking forward to what's next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            We got a new Ward Music Chair about 6 months ago, and I LOVE what she's been doing with the music in our Sacrament Meetings. I'm not sure if it's all her, or if she's got someone in her ear helping (I do see a pattern of one particular family having their fingers in stuff.)

A couple of months ago we had two siblings (ages 8 & 10) along with their 4 year old cousin who lives in the ward sing a hymn. The older two kids were a little nervous, the 4 year-old knew every word and KILLED it, carrying the other two. Seriously stole the show.

Last month we had a 10 year-old boy play the piano. He isn't a prodigy by any means - pretty simple, likely even something you'd hear at your average recital for kids who have been taking lessons for a couple of years. Again - he played a hymn out of the simplified hymns book and it was great.

Yesterday we had a 8 year-old girl sing a solo from the Children's Songbook, accompanied by a 10 year-old on the piano. The piano was a little rough, but passable. The 8 year-old is the sweetest thing - but she seriously has a gravely voice like she's a lounge singer who's spent way too much time in smoke filled rooms. But she knew the words, sounded so sincere in singing, and had us thinking about the words of the song. Great great job.

I find myself looking forward to what's next.
                            great idea

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                              Wasn't today, but I leaned Elder Holland has seen Jerry Maguire.
                              The first five minutes really reel you in. No doubt he's seen it.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                We got a new Ward Music Chair about 6 months ago, and I LOVE what she's been doing with the music in our Sacrament Meetings.
                                Back about 2015 when I still lived in Folsom, about once a month they would have two families sing a song - usually a primary song. The four parents and all the kids did it. It wasn't like a professional singer or even a great choir, but it made us all smile and we enjoyed hearing them sing. I should suggest that for our current ward.

Comment

Working...
                                X