I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
    Employment Resources and PEF were rolled up into one department: Self Reliance Services. They'll be facilitating the global Self Reliance Initiative, a member workgroup-based program. The materials are already available in the Gospel Library, under Self Reliance.
    We've already ran one iteration of this program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      We've already ran one iteration of this program.

Same here. Getting ready for the second one here in October.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        Same here. Getting ready for the second one here in October.

Any comment or impressions? I'm considering going through to see if i can give my law practice a kick.

Comment

Any comment or impressions? I'm considering going through to see if i can give my law practice a kick.
          I didn't deal much with it. We did have a pretty big attrition rate but the people that stuck it out said it was helpful.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I learned in church today

The high councilor, who is of an age that he should know, just completely butchered the name "Tuipulotu" in a sustaining.

I try to not judge another man's weaknesses too harshly, but if I am the Stake Pres, that is an immediate releasing.
            Last edited by Clark Addison; 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              The high councilor, who is of an age that he should know, just completely butchered the name "Tuipulotu" in a sustaining.

I try to not judge another man's weaknesses to harshly, but if I am the Stake Pres, that is an immediate releasing.
              Agreed that is very disappointing.

Comment

I try to not judge another man's weaknesses to harshly, but if I am the Stake Pres, that is an immediate releasing.
                Good hell.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Our area was considered a trial run.

We did the education one for my wife. In fact she is working on getting Development Services to assist in paying for Bookkeeping certification so she can go back to work now that our kids are both in school.

We found it to be fairly good. Our only irritation is with the lady who works for Development Services (Paid position by the church I believe), sucks royally at her job. We had to hound her constantly to move us through the process.

Attrition was a problem. We had a strong core group of 5 maybe 6 including the two people who are to run the group. Started out with 10. One other concern is the teachers who run the groups are "called" to this position. They should really tap the qualified members to run these groups. It would be a great benefit. And less of a hindrance.

Those who took the build your own business seemed to be rather happy with it. However, their business was about woodman-ship. It may provide ways to get your law practice out there more.

One other constructive comment about it all together. Since it is all about self-reliance, I think they totally missed the mark on creating a group on "Healthy Living". I think many in the church would find a group on this to be very helpful and would create a great support group among the members in the stake.

Comment

I try to not judge another man's weaknesses too harshly, but if I am the Stake Pres, that is an immediate releasing.
                    Seriously, you need to send the HC the Tysman rap so he can learn how to say it.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• A of F #14: One Mormon dentist per ward is ideal. If a ward has too many dentists, there will be a great division among the people.
                      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                          A of F #14: One Mormon dentist per ward is ideal. If a ward has too many dentists, there will be a great division among the people.
                          Your ward must not be living the higher law. We have 4-5 dentists and 2 oral surgeons. Granted we are on the verge of becoming a branch because we are down to about 120 regularly attending members, but love and unity abound.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            A of F #14: One Mormon dentist per ward is ideal. If a ward has too many dentists, there will be a great division among the people.
                            We have exactly 1 dentist! No wonder my ward is so cool.

Comment

you'd reward him for that?
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• The second counselor in our bishopric talked to day. Full disclosure, I've always thought this guy was a jerk.

He gave a wide-ranging talk on chastity. There were several interesting moments, but the biggest was when he mentioned seeing commercials for the HPV vaccine, and talked about how this was Satan's way to allow people to have sex without consequences. He said that he told his kids that he wouldn't be getting them that vaccine. If they were going to break the law of chastity, they would have to be able to handle the consequences.

I was listening to this in the primary room, where I was setting things up. My wife was sending me angry texts. The only part she liked was after he briefly harangued against gay marriage. My daughter was up on the stand because she had given a talk, and when he started talking about gay marriage she gave a large eye roll.

Comment

Working...
                                X