I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    I just enjoyed a full summation of various lost tribes theories including hollow earth (with dinosaurs) and other extra terrestrial musings in the first sacrament meeting talk.
    Were any endorsed by the speaker?

Truth is, I kind of like those crazy talks. We need more of them to spice things up.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
      Were any endorsed by the speaker?

Truth is, I kind of like those crazy talks. We need more of them to spice things up.
      Agreed. We don't have enough of those talks.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• During EQ, a good friend, who is without guile, asked the question "Why don't women have the priesthood? A pretty decent and civil discussion ensued. The typical "women have motherhood" argument was put forth and rebutted, which then led to a discussion of the purpose of the relief society as Joseph envisioned it, including the history of women giving blessings and the current practice of women performing ordinances in the temple, thereby holding a form of the priesthood. The conclusion was that we believe that God will reveal many important things pertaining to his kingdom, and that he very well could reveal this particular conundrum during our lifetime.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• I learned that the pioneers had it bad because they didn't have air conditioning, indoor plumbing and other modern conveniences.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I learned that the pioneers had it bad because they didn't have air conditioning, indoor plumbing and other modern conveniences.
            This line of thinking is the reason I find Pioneer Trek a *bit* manipulative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
              This line of thinking is the reason I find Pioneer Trek a *bit* manipulative.
              There's a store in South Jordan (I think it's a dress store) that I drive by often. They have a big temporary sign up right now that reads, "Trek Costumes." People dress up in costumes for Pioneer Trek?

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                There's a store in South Jordan (I think it's a dress store) that I drive by often. They have a big temporary sign up right now that reads, "Trek Costumes." People dress up in costumes for Pioneer Trek?
                Yes. Like pioneers. Long pants. Long sleeve shirts. Girls wear long dresses with long sleeves and bonnets. Think polygamists and you pretty much get the idea.

Comment

I learned that the pioneers had it bad because they didn't have air conditioning, indoor plumbing and other modern conveniences.
                  Really? You had to go to church to learn that?

Some more things the pioneers didn't have:

iPads
                  television
                  Snickers bars
                  disposable diapers
                  BYU football
                  solar modules
                  LASIK eye surgery
                  ice dispensers
                  uni ball Vision Elite pens

There, that should keep you busy for a few more Sundays.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                    Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                    Yes. Like pioneers. Long pants. Long sleeve shirts. Girls wear long dresses with long sleeves and bonnets. Think polygamists and you pretty much get the idea.
                    Yeah, our girls went on trek in The South, all dressed up during the take down of the polygamist in Texas. I feared the gov'ment would come take them away from us.

They had a great time despite being hit by a tornado and coming home a day early. After a few days in hot, humid weather, they were pretty rank. My youngest said they smelled like cheese.

I highly endorse the trek experience for young people.

Comment

• I just got back from Trek.

There's a ton of reasons the pioneers had it bad.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• We had a talk in sacrament about the church "pioneers" in Texas and the local area. The speaker also mentioned an interesting story about Lee Harvey Oswald and his attempted assassination of General Edwin Walker. It turns out that General Walker lived next to the mormon church and Oswald waited until an youth activity at the church was getting out, hoping that the sounds of slamming doors and car engines would cover the rifle report. Right at 9pm Oswald took a shot at General Walker but missed. Oswald thought he had hit the General and told his wife later that night, "I shot Walker."
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You actually acclimate to the heat if you're in it every day, all day, with no air conditioning.

Comment

• I learned that sometimes simple is better. We did vacation church, which I don't usually love, but had a great experience. The ward was so welcoming and kind. By the end of church the bishop knew the names of all my kids and was talking to me about them. I left inspired.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I learned that sometimes simple is better. We did vacation church, which I don't usually love, but had a great experience. The ward was so welcoming and kind. By the end of church the bishop knew the names of all my kids and was talking to me about them. I left inspired.
                              That's because you're in God's country. What ward did you attend?
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                You actually acclimate to the heat if you're in it every day, all day, with no air conditioning.
                                I think you're lying.
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                                X