No announcement yet.

I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We have 31 indexers in this ward, but only 8 of you are doing the work." Busted!!
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

• I learned that other churches tell their members not to learn the scriptures for themselves but to take their leaders word for it, but that we tell our people to search and learn for ourselves. In priesthood, we then had a lesson on following the prophet and when we don't, we're in various stages of apostasy.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I learned that last year the Provo utah mission (Utah county and south) had 3000 convert baptisms.
        Yep, and 2800 were 9 year old kids.
        "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

• From the George Albert Smith lesson:
          I stand here to plead with you, my brethren and sisters, not to permit words of criticism or of unkindness to pass your lips about those whom the Lord has called to lead us. Do not be found in the companionship of those who would belittle them or weaken their influence among the children of men. If you do, I can say to you that you will find yourselves in the power of the adversary. You will be influenced by him to go as far as possible from the pathway of truth, and if you do not repent you may find when it is too late that you have lost the “pearl of great price.” Because of your selfishness and your blindness you will have been led away, and your loved ones … will be sorrowing on the other side of the veil because of your weakness and your folly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            From the George Albert Smith lesson:
            Yikes.
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I learned that last year the Provo utah mission (Utah county and south) had 3000 convert baptisms.
              All of those sudden conversions and testimonies born in the MTC.
              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• More:

There are those among us … who have been blinded by the philosophies and foolishness of men. There are those who reject the advice and counsel of the man that God has placed at the head of this Church.*…
                People who haven’t very much information suddenly come along with a bright idea, and they suggest “this is the way” or “that is the way,” and although it is in conflict with the advice of the Lord some are persuaded to try it. The Lord has given safe advice and appointed the President of his Church to interpret that advice. If we ignore what he advises, as the President of the Church, we may discover that we have made a serious mistake.
                Very interesting content in context of recent discussions surrounding charity/retail and blacks and priesthood.

Comment

• Divorce is evil.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                    Yep, and 2800 were 9 year old kids.
                    The mission president and his wife spoke. Seemed like great people. I think those numbers are legit.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The mission president and his wife spoke. Seemed like great people. I think those numbers are legit.
                      The Provo mission boundaries are huge. At least they used to be. When I was in Colorado Denver South, Provo was our west boundary. Provo has long been the highest baptizing stateside mission.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I just read that there are 175 stakes in the mission. That would make about 17 baptisms per stake per year. A little over one baptism per month.

Yup, the Provo Utah mission is underachieving numbers-wise when compared with the majority of the world. That 3000 baptism deal needs to be placed into perspective.
                        "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          The Provo mission boundaries are huge. At least they used to be. When I was in Colorado Denver South, Provo was our west boundary. Provo has long been the highest baptizing stateside mission.
                          They just split it. Now it is Utah County and east to the Colorado border. South of Utah County is a new mission. I think the 3000 number was from the old mission.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                            I just read that there are 175 stakes in the mission. That would make about 17 baptisms per stake per year. A little over one baptism per month.

Yup, the Provo Utah mission is underachieving numbers-wise when compared with the majority of the world. That 3000 baptism deal needs to be placed into perspective.
                            There are also drastically fewer non members for convert baptism opportunities within it's boundaries.

Put that in your perspective pipe and smoke it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                              There are also drastically fewer non members for convert baptism opportunities within it's boundaries.

Put that in your perspective pipe and smoke it!!!
                              There is also a stronger new member support network, along with far greater peer pressure to join the church than in other locations. I have known people over the years who converted mainly to avoid having their kids be ostracized for being nonmembers.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                                There is also a stronger new member support network, along with far greater peer pressure to join the church than in other locations. I have known people over the years who converted mainly to avoid having their kids be ostracized for being nonmembers.
                                Fascinating to watch people scramble to put a negative spin on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X