LDS Latinos want church to address crackdown

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #31
    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    That just seems crazy. I know our WES hasn't been told that and I can almost guarantee none of the ES's in the Stake have been told that. Granted, it could be because I live in one of the most lily white parts of Sandy, but it's hard to imagine extending a call to an undocumented member asking him to serve the ward or stake, but when he asks for help finding a job, telling him "sorry buddy, but you're on your own there. Good luck!"

    Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. I wonder if that 1st counselor sleeps well at night.
    I'm sure he sleeps fine at night since it wasn't his idea. Truth is we don't have many undocumented members in our ward so it's not something we encounter all that often, if ever.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #32
      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      I'm sure he sleeps fine at night since it wasn't his idea. Truth is we don't have many undocumented members in our ward so it's not something we encounter all that often, if ever.
      I'm talking about as a counselor, asking a guy to serve in the ward and then turning around and telling him to go screw himself when/if he needs help finding work. Doesn't matter if it's my idea or not, I wouldn't want any part of it. Oh well, fortunately, as you've explained it's not an issue anyway.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • Tick's wife
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 528

        #33
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Hasn't the church always said it will weigh in politically on issues of morality? I don't see immigration as an issue of morality.
        church and politics shouldn't mixe period. ppls political views are personal not church

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #34
          Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
          church and politics shouldn't mixe period. ppls political views are personal not church
          Even if proposed legislation threatens to impinge the ability of the church to freely exercise their beliefs?
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • Tick's wife
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 528

            #35
            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            Uniformity with regards to what?
            church should stay out of politics period but as far as employment services for immigrants, if one says to stay out and one says to help, it's not uniform. Does that make sense? The church prides itself on being a worldwide church, yet when it comes down to it, each local, or even ward, has different views and rules or bends their policies....even when leaders change, the tone of a ward changes, we see it big time in our stake. I dont' know if that makes sense.

            Comment

            • Tick's wife
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 528

              #36
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Even if proposed legislation threatens to impinge the ability of the church to freely exercise their beliefs?
              but what about following the laws of the land....church and state has always been an issue and should not mix. I hate when pple tell me that I believe this (politically) because I'm Mormon when I may not. I hate that church members tell me I'm wrong because I have an opinion and not a "stepford" member...there is a no win situation when politics and religion mix.

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #37
                Why are there Latino wards? Is this something that Latino's ask for or that the church feels is best.

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                  but what about following the laws of the land....church and state has always been an issue and should not mix. I hate when pple tell me that I believe this (politically) because I'm Mormon when I may not. I hate that church members tell me I'm wrong because I have an opinion and not a "stepford" member...there is a no win situation when politics and religion mix.
                  Well, if you want to follow the laws of the land, shouldn't you then help shape what those laws are so you aren't stuck with a moral dilemma where the law of the land and your religious doctrine are at odds with each other?

                  I can see room for debate on whether or not the church needs to be politically involved with a specific issue, but I really have a hard time agreeing with the broader argument that there is no legitimate place for the church to ever be involved with proposed legislation.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #39
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    Why are there Latino wards? Is this something that Latino's ask for or that the church feels is best.
                    A little bit of A and a little bit of B. The bilingual branch I was in was recently made into a Spanish-only unit and the gringos were shipped to another unit. This already happened with another unit in the stake and the change has resulted in great things for the Latino members in that ward.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      A little bit of A and a little bit of B. The bilingual branch I was in was recently made into a Spanish-only unit and the gringos were shipped to another unit. This already happened with another unit in the stake and the change has resulted in great things for the Latino members in that ward.
                      What great things? I freely admit not being real knowledgeable on the subject so these are just thoughts.

                      In the article or the story I saw where the Laino spokesman wanted the church more involved, he indicated some Latino's feel odd or treated differently because of the immigration issue. Isn't that disengenuous when it seems they like being segregated?

                      If a bunch of us moved to Mexico asked for a caucasian branch, would that be seen as acceptable.

                      I think I wouldn't mind starting my own branch where most of the members thought more like I do.

                      Comment

                      • Tick's wife
                        Junior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 528

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        A little bit of A and a little bit of B. The bilingual branch I was in was recently made into a Spanish-only unit and the gringos were shipped to another unit. This already happened with another unit in the stake and the change has resulted in great things for the Latino members in that ward.
                        church says it's okay to have Hmong branches, latino branches, Tongan branches, etc; but if you suggest an African branch, the ACLU will come down hard. Hmmm, church and state.....its' a white church with token branches, but only certain tokens....

                        Comment

                        • BigFatMeanie
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7114

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                          church says it's okay to have Hmong branches, latino branches, Tongan branches, etc; but if you suggest an African branch, the ACLU will come down hard. Hmmm, church and state.....its' a white church with token branches, but only certain tokens....
                          Your ideal of separation of church and state is impossible to achieve in theory and in practice. Is helping the poor a religious issue or secular issue? If the state is involved in helping the poor should churches not get involved in order to maintain "separation"? Is marriage a religious issue or secular issue? Are laws against murder religious issues or secular issues? How about laws covering incest or rape or theft or immigration or charitable giving?

                          It is impossible to draw a black and white line between secular and religious issue. If, as you seem to be espousing, churches must stay out of every aspect of life that the state also happens to be involved in, what purpose would any church serve?

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #43
                            The church has a tough position. They want to support the law. And the church is made up primarily of Republican, anti-immigration hard asses. But converting illegal immigrants is a huge part of the church's strategic plan and make up a significant portion of U.S. converts.

                            Comment

                            • thesaint258
                              aka Benito Hazard
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 3005

                              #44
                              I've been thinking about this, and I think that it's pretty great that the Church doesn't take a stance on a lot of things. This allows us all to make our own choices about what to believe. Even when the Church does come down on one side of a debate (like Prop 8), it doesn't say that everyone who doesn't fall in line is a bad member. Since the Church seems to be making people on both sides of the immigration issue unhappy, it's probably doing something right.
                              Not that, sickos.

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                                but if you suggest an African branch, the ACLU will come down hard.
                                Why would the ACLU get involved? The church has different branches due to language considerations.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...