Spiritual or slothful?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1990

    #1

    Spiritual or slothful?

    So in EQ a couple weeks ago someone told of a family there wife knew with 10 kids. Did not make a single descision without the Lords Help. Prayed over which Washing Machine to buy. Guy thought that was silly but seen the spirit in the home.

    Is that spiritual or slothful. Reminds me of story Dallin Told of Women whose husband prayed over which Vegetables to buy in the store. The Lord made Mahonri use his brains some and several sections of the D and C from 58 to 62 tell us same thing.

    The Lord expects us to make some of our own descisions. If you are living right you may be inspired not to buy a certian washer because a fuse will cause a house fire. But when nothing will happen dangerous I think the Lord says you are on your own for that descision.

    Since this is mortality and we are appointed unto trials at times he will allow things to happen. The Lord however wants us to use brains and people who pray over things that have no effect on Eternal Salvation I think are more slothful than spiritual.
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #2
    I wish you were my home teacher. I would really genuinely look forward to your visits.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #3
      Originally posted by grapevine View Post
      So in EQ a couple weeks ago someone told of a family there wife knew with 10 kids. Did not make a single descision without the Lords Help. Prayed over which Washing Machine to buy. Guy thought that was silly but seen the spirit in the home.

      Is that spiritual or slothful. Reminds me of story Dallin Told of Women whose husband prayed over which Vegetables to buy in the store. The Lord made Mahonri use his brains some and several sections of the D and C from 58 to 62 tell us same thing.

      The Lord expects us to make some of our own descisions. If you are living right you may be inspired not to buy a certian washer because a fuse will cause a house fire. But when nothing will happen dangerous I think the Lord says you are on your own for that descision.

      Since this is mortality and we are appointed unto trials at times he will allow things to happen. The Lord however wants us to use brains and people who pray over things that have no effect on Eternal Salvation I think are more slothful than spiritual.
      I always feel strange responding seriously to a post like this, but I think it's actually a good topic. I see this come up at times, and it seems like the cool thing to do for LDS people to crack on those that they think pray over too many decisions. I don't get that attitude. Why not pray over which washing machine to buy? The Lord told Mahonri to use his brains, yes, but he didn't chastise him for consulting the Lord over it. Mahonri had faith enough to see God, so I don't think he had issues with over reliance on prayer. If you are constantly mindful of God and pray over minute things, I see no problem with it. If you let it make you become indecisive and never make any tough decisions in your life because you're always waiting for a big manifestation from God, then I think that's a dumb thing.

      Comment

      Working...