If you could have the ear of an apostle for 10 minutes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #31
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Or in Las Vegas in August, for the same reasons.

    Plus, I just don't value the extra bulkiness.
    I mock all you "dry heat' Westerners complaining about multiple shirts in August. Try Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, or Columbia in August while wearing garments.


    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Viking
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 6470

      #32
      Originally posted by woot View Post
      Ah I see. Point taken. I would submit that said benefit disappears mightily once the pants come off though. Nothing like enormous granny panties to kill the mood.
      hilarious.

      Comment

      • grapevine
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1992

        #33
        We have been told hundreds of times not to write to them. However Gordon always told of a letter he received frome someone HIllarying about how worthless her Husband or Son was. haven't seen that for some time though.

        SWK had a neighbor that always went over to visit him. Neighbors wife got on his case so he stopped. 10 days later SWK showed up at his door with plate of cookies and wondered what his neighbor did to urinate him off. He always talked to neighbors when hhe went for walks. Tom lives in his neighborhood now rather than Eagle Gate Apartments. I don't think his neighbors go to see him much though more security.

        As for Garments when I was in Hospital someone asked if I wore boxers or briefs. Didn't know how to explain garment to nonlds person.

        I looked at Family History of General Authority on FAmily Searh and GA's son's email was on there. He changed something. I am stumped at what to ask them as of right now though.

        Comment

        • SuperGabers
          aka... UtahDan's Wifey
          • May 2009
          • 2182

          #34
          Originally posted by grapevine View Post
          We have been told hundreds of times not to write to them. However Gordon always told of a letter he received frome someone HIllarying about how worthless her Husband or Son was. haven't seen that for some time though.

          SWK had a neighbor that always went over to visit him. Neighbors wife got on his case so he stopped. 10 days later SWK showed up at his door with plate of cookies and wondered what his neighbor did to urinate him off. He always talked to neighbors when hhe went for walks. Tom lives in his neighborhood now rather than Eagle Gate Apartments. I don't think his neighbors go to see him much though more security.

          As for Garments when I was in Hospital someone asked if I wore boxers or briefs. Didn't know how to explain garment to nonlds person.

          I looked at Family History of General Authority on FAmily Searh and GA's son's email was on there. He changed something. I am stumped at what to ask them as of right now though.
          I hope the nurse was cute who asked you that...

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #35
            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            Great idea. Then the racist BP we had in WV on my mission would have gotten his way and we wouldn't have baptized anybody.
            Conversely, you can get 150 baptisms in 3 years in a branch where the vast majority of the "converts", and I use that term VERY loosely, had been to church no more than once and half the time we'd get less than 24 hour's notice for the baptism and when we did, we'd be left saying "who?" when told who it was. No demonstrated commitment to the church, no establishing of friendships or acquaintances in the branch and frankly, many times didn't meet the requirements for baptism. 3 years removed from that flurry of converts and less than 10 of the 150 are active. A helluva lot of good that did everyone involved. God only knows if the branch president was allowed to manage the process a little more how many more of those 142 or so souls would be reaping the benefits of the gospel in their lives now.

            I guaran-fricken-tee you that your "racist BP" is much more the exception than missionaries playing fast and loose with the rules so they could hit their quotas - er - "goals" to get mission leadership off their backs.
            Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-13-2010, 09:55 PM.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #36
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post

              I guaran-fricken-tee you that your "racist BP" is much more the exception than missionaries playing fast and loose with the rules so they could hit their quotas - er - "goals" to get mission leadership off their backs.
              My experience is limited. I have only served one mission. I would accuse DL's and ZL's of a lot of things, but not hitting numbers. Missionaries maybe, but not DL's and ZL's.

              We referred to some Elders as "gentile Elders". I got that label, it was all in fun. However, when I was made a DL and later a ZL, I was scared to death about the responsibility. Deciding whether someone was worthy to be baptized or not weighed heavily on my mind. I had to deny two people the opportunity. The Elders were upset of course. The DL's and ZL's I knew I feel felt the same weight.

              Like I said though, limited experience. One two year mission.

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #37
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                My experience is limited. I have only served one mission. I would accuse DL's and ZL's of a lot of things, but not hitting numbers. Missionaries maybe, but not DL's and ZL's.

                We referred to some Elders as "gentile Elders". I got that label, it was all in fun. However, when I was made a DL and later a ZL, I was scared to death about the responsibility. Deciding whether someone was worthy to be baptized or not weighed heavily on my mind. I had to deny two people the opportunity. The Elders were upset of course. The DL's and ZL's I knew I feel felt the same weight.

                Like I said though, limited experience. One two year mission.
                Once that mission president went, the problem magically disappeared with him. Missionaries will do whatever it takes to make the MP happy, or at the very least get him off their backs. Thus, it clouds their judgment when deciding whether or not to baptize someone.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Once that mission president went, the problem magically disappeared with him. Missionaries will do whatever it takes to make the MP happy, or at the very least get him off their backs. Thus, it clouds their judgment when deciding whether or not to baptize someone.
                  Good point. Both of my mission Presidents weren't numbers guys as far as baptisms. Tracting hours, teaching hours, study hours, yes they were sticklers on numbers, but not baptisms.

                  I still think personally I was so awed by my responsibility, I doubt they could have pressured me, but I don't know because they never did.

                  Comment

                  • RC Vikings
                    Known Heterosexual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8789

                    #39
                    I would ask him what it means to be a special witness of Christ and if he has ever seen or heard the voice of God. If he hasn't my next question would be how they receive inspiration. If I find out they are on the same system I am when I request a Sunday school teacher I'm going to start drinking beer again.

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      Conversely, you can get 150 baptisms in 3 years in a branch where the vast majority of the "converts", and I use that term VERY loosely, had been to church no more than once and half the time we'd get less than 24 hour's notice for the baptism and when we did, we'd be left saying "who?" when told who it was. No demonstrated commitment to the church, no establishing of friendships or acquaintances in the branch and frankly, many times didn't meet the requirements for baptism. 3 years removed from that flurry of converts and less than 10 of the 150 are active. A helluva lot of good that did everyone involved. God only knows if the branch president was allowed to manage the process a little more how many more of those 142 or so souls would be reaping the benefits of the gospel in their lives now.

                      I guaran-fricken-tee you that your "racist BP" is much more the exception than missionaries playing fast and loose with the rules so they could hit their quotas - er - "goals" to get mission leadership off their backs.




                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #41
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post




                        You've been in an inner-city branch, haven't you?
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          You've been in an inner-city branch, haven't you?
                          Five years in New Orleans, pre- and post- Katrina.

                          One person out of about 150-200 people baptized during that time is active. ONE!
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37996

                            #43
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            I mock all you "dry heat' Westerners complaining about multiple shirts in August. Try Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, or Columbia in August while wearing garments.


                            Try 117 degrees.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #44
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Try 117 degrees.
                              Try 105F with 100% humidity, amateur. My wife's from St. George. I've felt both. Your blast furnace ain't got nothin' on the hot breath of an angry lover that is the Southeast in August.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #45
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                Try 105F with 100% humidity, amateur. My wife's from St. George. I've felt both. Your blast furnace ain't got nothin' on the hot breath of an angry lover that is the Southeast in August.
                                Amateurs, both of you. Try 120F with a dew point of over 90 degrees. 105F with 100% humidity doesn't exist.

                                [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index"]Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

                                Because of this factor, it was once believed that the highest heat index reading actually attainable anywhere on Earth is approximately 71 °C (160 °F). However, in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003, the dewpoint was 35 °C (95 °F) while the temperature was 42 °C (108 °F). The heat index at that time was 78 °C (172 °F).[5]
                                P.S. Dhahran isn't the most humid spot around them parts. Where we lived (in a beach house on a small peninsula 30 miles north) was much more humid on average than Dhahran. You guys have no friggin' clue how bad that crap is.
                                Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...