I think to dismiss the problem of evil and suffering by citing Mormonism's quasi-gnostic view of God shackled by universal laws only superficially treats the problem. In Mark E. Peterson's August 27, 1954 speech at BYU he unconconscioulsy surrendered to the problem of evil. Objectively the speech can be read as a backhanded surrender to the problem. As he goes on at length explaining, how could a merciful, fair God permit the Congo, Darfur, 1940's Europe, Bhopal, unless the seemingly innocent victims did something terrible in pre-Earth existence to deserve what they got?
As I get older I understand better what a real problem is the problem of evil and suffering.
As I get older I understand better what a real problem is the problem of evil and suffering.
). From, at least the time of BH Roberts Mormons have proposed the following: a finite metaphysically constrained concept of God (this is reflected in BigFatMeanie post) as a solution or at least a partial solution to the problem of suffering (note the tradition of a finite metaphysically constrained God clearly predates BH Roberts in Mormonism but I believe he is the first to apply it the problem of suffering, someone can correct me if I am wrong).
Comment