What is President Monson's Message?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #1

    What is President Monson's Message?

    So President Monson will be the first LDS prophet to begin his tenure after I formally ended my membership. This means that I'm not paying very close attention to what he actually says, or the style in which he leads.

    It always seemed that the broad mission of each of the past presidents could be summed up in a sentence or two: President Kimball with the priesthood extension, President Benson with the Book of Mormon, President Hunter with (???), President Hinckley with the media and temples.

    So what about President Monson? What do you think might be his legacy? How is his style of leadership? How has he changed in assuming the mantle?
  • Tim
    Not Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 4390

    #2
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    President Hunter with (???)
    President Hunter's message was to be personally worth to attend the temple, even if you weren't within proximity of a temple.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69742

      #3
      So far his legacy seems to be Prop 8. But it's early yet. Time will tell.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15674

        #4
        Way too early to tell, but for a hint, here are the titles of his 6.5 general conference addresses to date:

        Examples of Righteousness*
        Looking Back and Moving Forward
        Abundantly Blessed
        (Welcome to Conference)
        To learn, to do, to be*
        Finding Joy in the Journey
        Until We Meet Again

        *priesthood session

        I notice one thing immediately. To the brethren of the priesthood, he has given duty-themed addresses about being examples to the world. To the general membership, he has given talks about living a happy life through the blessings of church membership.

        That there are two distinct themes, and that they are directed to two distinct audiences, is interesting. The two themes, nevertheless, are not necessarily exclusive. If I had to summarize President Monson's ministry to date, I'd say the theme is "finding happiness through service to the Lord."
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15674

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          So far his legacy seems to be Prop 8. But it's early yet. Time will tell.
          To the contrary, I think he has been quite careful to keep from being personally attached to the matter and ensure that church leadership acts along with him.

          Have you noticed that he has not personally attached his name to anything regarding Prop 8? The letter directing members to support Prop 8 was signed by "The First Presidency" (http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/...e-sex-marriage). The broadcast was headed by Elder Ballard. He didn't so much as mention Prop 8 during General Conference. In fact, no church leader did. The only church authority who even approached the topic was Elder Nelson, who spoke on Celestial Marriage and hinted at the issue, but didn't say anything outright.

          I don't believe for a minute that he didn't support it, but thus far, church leaders, especially President Monson, have acted in a way so as to avoid the issue from touching any individual leader and fall instead upon the institution.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • Solon
            Lost in the flood
            • Nov 2008
            • 5747

            #6
            Originally posted by All-American View Post
            To the contrary, I think he has been quite careful to keep from being personally attached to the matter and ensure that church leadership acts along with him.

            Have you noticed that he has not personally attached his name to anything regarding Prop 8? The letter directing members to support Prop 8 was signed by "The First Presidency" (http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/...e-sex-marriage). The broadcast was headed by Elder Ballard. He didn't so much as mention Prop 8 during General Conference. In fact, no church leader did. The only church authority who even approached the topic was Elder Nelson, who spoke on Celestial Marriage and hinted at the issue, but didn't say anything outright.

            I don't believe for a minute that he didn't support it, but thus far, church leaders, especially President Monson, have acted in a way so as to avoid the issue from touching any individual leader and fall instead upon the institution.
            Good point. I've noticed this too, but I personally consider this to be a failure of leadership. In my opinion, If the issue is so important, it would really rally the membership to have THE PRESIDENT AND PROPHET give some direction, rather than a bunch of lawyer-speak press releases.

            Bednar also has been a visible leader on this issue, as show by his little video.
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

            Comment

            • bluegoose
              7th round draft pick
              • Nov 2008
              • 4121

              #7
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              To the contrary, I think he has been quite careful to keep from being personally attached to the matter and ensure that church leadership acts along with him.

              Have you noticed that he has not personally attached his name to anything regarding Prop 8? The letter directing members to support Prop 8 was signed by "The First Presidency" (http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/...e-sex-marriage). The broadcast was headed by Elder Ballard. He didn't so much as mention Prop 8 during General Conference. In fact, no church leader did. The only church authority who even approached the topic was Elder Nelson, who spoke on Celestial Marriage and hinted at the issue, but didn't say anything outright.

              I don't believe for a minute that he didn't support it, but thus far, church leaders, especially President Monson, have acted in a way so as to avoid the issue from touching any individual leader and fall instead upon the institution.
              I disagree completely. The initial letter read to the congregations left little room for doubt that the directive was coming from the top, with the top being Pres Monson and his counselors.

              Whether his name was specifically written at the bottom of the letter is beside the point (I don't remember exactly what it looked like as sent to all CA units - probably not exactly as posted on the website). It would take a very active imagination for someone to conclude that prop 8 wouldn't go very high on his prophetic resume thus far.

              Perhaps I'm just a little too close to the situation to see the big(ger) picture.

              Comment

              • Hallelujah
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2741

                #8
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                So President Monson will be the first LDS prophet to begin his tenure after I formally ended my membership. This means that I'm not paying very close attention to what he actually says, or the style in which he leads.

                It always seemed that the broad mission of each of the past presidents could be summed up in a sentence or two: President Kimball with the priesthood extension, President Benson with the Book of Mormon, President Hunter with (???), President Hinckley with the media and temples.

                So what about President Monson? What do you think might be his legacy? How is his style of leadership? How has he changed in assuming the mantle?
                We'll tell you about his legacy once he's been a prophet for more than 1 month. His legacy might be the Jazz winning the NBA Championship.
                Last edited by Hallelujah; 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM.

                Comment

                • Hallelujah
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2741

                  #9
                  Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  I disagree completely. The initial letter read to the congregations left little room for doubt that the directive was coming from the top, with the top being Pres Monson and his counselors.

                  Whether his name was specifically written at the bottom of the letter is beside the point (I don't remember exactly what it looked like as sent to all CA units - probably not exactly as posted on the website). It would take a very active imagination for someone to conclude that prop 8 wouldn't go very high on his prophetic resume thus far.

                  Perhaps I'm just a little too close to the situation to see the big(ger) picture.
                  It came from the First Presidency and thus the First Presidency signed what the First Presidency thought about the importance of the issue.

                  Why is that so difficult to understand. Last time I checked, the First Presidency consisted of Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf.

                  Comment

                  • bluegoose
                    7th round draft pick
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4121

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                    It came from the First Presidency and thus the First Presidency signed what the First Presidency thought about the importance of the issue.

                    Why is that so difficult to understand. Last time I checked, the First Presidency consisted of Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf.
                    Thats what I just said. Why is that so difficult to understand?

                    Comment

                    • All-American
                      Right, as Usual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 15674

                      #11
                      You kids aren't getting the distinction I am making.

                      Of course I recognize that Thomas S. Monson is a member of the First Presidency, and that the directive ultimately comes from him and his counselors. But he has done NOTHING on Proposition 8 on a strictly individual basis. No talk, no article, not so much as a news release has come from Thomas S. Monson, the President of the Church. Whatever his actions in supporting Proposition 8 have been, they have been institutional, and not individual.

                      I'm not saying that he hasn't been involved in every step of the process. I am saying that he has been careful to show that he is not acting on his own prerogative.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                      Comment

                      • RobinFinderson
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10548

                        #12
                        I wonder why President Monson wasn't at the inaugural events today.

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                          I wonder why President Monson wasn't at the inaugural events today.
                          Dunno. He asked Elders Uchdorf and Ballard to be there as the LDS church representatives.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • All-American
                            Right, as Usual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 15674

                            #14
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            I wonder why President Monson wasn't at the inaugural events today.
                            Probably something to do with running the church. I dunno.

                            Folks, they don't have as much free time as you would think.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #15
                              Do we feel like this has developed yet?
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...