The Divine Nature and Destiny of Women.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #1

    The Divine Nature and Destiny of Women.

    Is to sanctify and purify men. This is why Adam needed a "helpmeet."



    I understand the idea that men and women are complementary to one another, but I do have a hard time imagining the talk where men are told that it is their divine nature and destiny to sanctify and purify women. It seems like a better message would be "the divine role and nature of men and women is to sanctify one another." Otherwise, at least to me, it implies a servile role for women. Maybe that is not what is intended, but I'm sketchy about this message being delivered to my daughters. If they were to ask me what their divine role and nature is I can think of a lot of things I would mention before a would say "completing a man."
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #2


    Everyone raved about how romantic it was when he said it.

    Comment

    • UtahDan
      *
      • Nov 2008
      • 14496

      #3
      Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post


      Everyone raved about how romantic it was when he said it.
      Only because he had formerly attempted to shoplift the pooty.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        Only because he had formerly attempted to shoplift the pooty.
        Ha! I totally just snorted.

        I love that movie.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27878

          #5
          I wonder if Rosebud will post in this thread.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • CardiacCoug
            вот так штука
            • Nov 2008
            • 11013

            #6
            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            Is to sanctify and purify men. This is why Adam needed a "helpmeet."



            I understand the idea that men and women are complementary to one another, but I do have a hard time imagining the talk where men are told that it is their divine nature and destiny to sanctify and purify women. It seems like a better message would be "the divine role and nature of men and women is to sanctify one another." Otherwise, at least to me, it implies a servile role for women. Maybe that is not what is intended, but I'm sketchy about this message being delivered to my daughters. If they were to ask me what their divine role and nature is I can think of a lot of things I would mention before a would say "completing a man."
            I agree.

            Comment

            • marsupial
              Mississippi Queen
              • Nov 2008
              • 3678

              #7
              I think the idea that a man needs sanctifying and that it is a woman's divine role to do it is insulting to both sexes.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                It seems like a better message would be "the divine role and nature of men and women is to sanctify one another." Otherwise, at least to me, it implies a servile role for women. Maybe that is not what is intended....
                UtahDan, good news. I read the talk and you and your daughters are safe. Elder Pace was not calling on women to live their lives under the thumb of a man. He was reiterating that very obscure doctrine in the LDS Church that marriage is necessary for both men and women to obtain the highest degree of glory. Phew!

                Elder Pace spoke of the importance of each role in a relationship, and the ability couples have to complement one another in their eternal roles.
                "It is the marriage ceremony in the temple where husband and wife receive the power to perfect their relationship and, thereby, obtain their exaltation."

                As individuals work together to become a whole, as the Lord has commanded, they work together to become a combination of complementary capacities and characteristics.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #9
                  Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                  Is to sanctify and purify men. This is why Adam needed a "helpmeet."



                  I understand the idea that men and women are complementary to one another, but I do have a hard time imagining the talk where men are told that it is their divine nature and destiny to sanctify and purify women. It seems like a better message would be "the divine role and nature of men and women is to sanctify one another." Otherwise, at least to me, it implies a servile role for women. Maybe that is not what is intended, but I'm sketchy about this message being delivered to my daughters. If they were to ask me what their divine role and nature is I can think of a lot of things I would mention before a would say "completing a man."

                  True believers will understand what he meant.

                  Comment

                  • Solon
                    Lost in the flood
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    Is to sanctify and purify men. This is why Adam needed a "helpmeet."



                    I understand the idea that men and women are complementary to one another, but I do have a hard time imagining the talk where men are told that it is their divine nature and destiny to sanctify and purify women. It seems like a better message would be "the divine role and nature of men and women is to sanctify one another." Otherwise, at least to me, it implies a servile role for women. Maybe that is not what is intended, but I'm sketchy about this message being delivered to my daughters. If they were to ask me what their divine role and nature is I can think of a lot of things I would mention before a would say "completing a man."
                    It's classic doublespeak that deals in idiotic contradictions.

                    Women are better than men. That's why men are in charge.

                    We need to be "equally yoked." Women give themselves in marriage, while men receive their women to be their wives.

                    Choose the position that best fits with what you need to say for any particular occasion.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      It's classic doublespeak that deals in idiotic contradictions.

                      Women are better than men. That's why men are in charge.

                      We need to be "equally yoked." Women give themselves in marriage, while men receive their women to be their wives.

                      Choose the position that best fits with what you need to say for any particular occasion.
                      Elder Pace didn't say any of these things.

                      Out of curiosity, why would "equally yoked" be offensive? You seem to contradict UtahDan's premise that a wording of "sanctify each other" would be appropriate.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • pellegrino
                        miserere me
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 12100

                        #12
                        yeah, a friend of mine had this posted on her fb last night. I couldn't read it, just read the summary and wanted to vomit. She's finishing her phd in religious studies at the Gradtuate Theological Union (emphasis in Mormonism) and she's finishing an article that's been accepted for publication on the place of women in Mormonism (haven't read it yet) and she was blown away because Pace basically affirmed her thesis. She's going to include his comments in the article.

                        Does anyone have a summons for Rosebud? It's only a matter of time before she chimes in, but it would be fun to "summon" her.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

                        Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                        pelagius

                        Comment

                        • Solon
                          Lost in the flood
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5747

                          #13
                          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          yeah, a friend of mine had this posted on her fb last night. I couldn't read it, just read the summary and wanted to vomit. She's finishing her phd in religious studies at the Gradtuate Theological Union (emphasis in Mormonism) and she's finishing an article that's been accepted for publication on the place of women in Mormonism (haven't read it yet) and she was blown away because Pace basically affirmed her thesis. She's going to include his comments in the article.

                          Does anyone have a summons for Rosebud? It's only a matter of time before she chimes in, but it would be fun to "summon" her.
                          I saved all of the summon images in two albums on my profile. The only catch is that you have to be logged in to see them.

                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            I saved all of the summon images in two albums on my profile. The only catch is that you have to be logged in to see them.

                            that's the ticket!
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              UtahDan, good news. I read the talk and you and your daughters are safe. Elder Pace was not calling on women to live their lives under the thumb of a man. He was reiterating that very obscure doctrine in the LDS Church that marriage is necessary for both men and women to obtain the highest degree of glory. Phew!

                              Comment

                              Working...